Obama may have had his tank moment

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Jccarlton

Obama may have had his tank moment

Post by Jccarlton »

I think tha Obama may actually have sunk himself with "you didn't build that." We Americans like being free to "build that" without some government flunky saying we can't.:
http://www.youtube.com/​watch?v=W ... r_embedded

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

broken link
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

The point is that Obama seems to think that those who are successful, cannot take credit for their success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK19WEwO ... creen&NR=1

This is just more class warfare and justifying the highest business taxes in the world.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

zapkitty

Re: 404

Post by zapkitty »

Betruger wrote:broken link
Probably a reference to Romney's deceptively-edited ad,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lr49t4-2b8

What Obama actually said,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=192oEC5TX_Q

... Obama is a tool of the plutocrats (how many wall streeters in his cabinet? Has he kissed a bankster's ass on TV today?) but the Romney ad is just BS.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

The point is that Obama seems to think that those who are successful, cannot take credit for their success.
in all fairness that is not quite what he said. He said that they did not get there completely on their own, which makes sense.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

It makes sense but outrages once you ask yourself why he said it.

The right is up in arms over this for simply understood reasons. Watch the vid I posted above.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Skipjack wrote:
in all fairness that is not quite what he said. He said that they did not get there completely on their own, which makes sense.
The occupier of the white house has made many statements which would support the interpretation of hostility towards the successful. Including the quip to Joe the plumber about spreading the wealth around, and open support for higher taxes on high income earners. He has never, to my knowledge, made a statement to the contrary.

Jccarlton

Post by Jccarlton »

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

The occupier of the white house has made many statements which would support the interpretation of hostility towards the successful. Including the quip to Joe the plumber about spreading the wealth around, and open support for higher taxes on high income earners. He has never, to my knowledge, made a statement to the contrary.
Well, I dont interpret it that way. Also, Obama extended the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy and they are still paying A LOT less taxes than they did before Reagan. So I cant really see any class warfare going on.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Yep, the simple truth is that everyone wants to get their hands on Obama's stash.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Skipjack wrote:
Well, I dont interpret it that way. Also, Obama extended the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy and they are still paying A LOT less taxes than they did before Reagan. So I cant really see any class warfare going on.
He is fairly vocal about wanting to end those tax cuts for individuals in the higher brackets.

gregw

Post by gregw »

Skipjack wrote:
Actually not true, the rich payed a higher % of all taxes after Reagan, and they have been steadily paying more and more of the total since then. See table 6 in this link: http://taxfoundation.org/article/summar ... tax-data-0

randomencounter

Post by randomencounter »

I think this will have as much impact as Romney's campaign manager declaring their Etch-A-Sketch strategy.

People already strongly in one camp or the other will move more strongly into that camp, while the folks in the middle will look at both camps bemusedly.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Skipjack wrote:
The rhetoric coming from the Obama camp that most characterize as "class warfare" extends far beyond the tax issue, but taxes are almost always involved. Pitting labor against management, the average worker against those in leadership positions, those that pay very high taxes against those who pay none, is always useful when you're looking to gather votes. Obama panders to the fragility of democracy like this on a regular basis. If you tell the American public that they didn't really earn their places of leadership, you're directly attacking management, leaders, business owners in order to get the votes of the vast majority who are not leaders, managers and business owners. That's what class warfare is like in modern democracies. In the past, the same dynamic used a guillotine.

Teahive

Post by Teahive »

gregw wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
Actually not true, the rich payed a higher % of all taxes after Reagan, and they have been steadily paying more and more of the total since then. See table 6 in this link: http://taxfoundation.org/article/summar ... tax-data-0
Comparing table 6 to table 5 for the top 1% and top 5% percentiles, that seems to be somewhat in line with the growth of income share. An imbalance that in itself will continue to drag down the economy until it's reversed one way or another.