Did this make it into a US prime-time news report?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

DeltaV

Did this make it into a US prime-time news report?

Post by DeltaV »

I don't recall seeing anything about it here.

Bo Xilai case shines light on corruption in China
The extraordinary political scandal unfolding at the top of the party – the suspected murder of the Briton Neil Heywood by the wife of the top leader Bo Xilai – is unprecedented.
Neil Heywood may have threatened to expose Gu Kailai's dealings
Chinese police investigating the death of the British businessman Neil Heywood believe he was murdered after threatening to expose a plan by Chinese leader Bo Xilai's wife to move money overseas, sources have said.

tomclarke

Re: Did this make it into a US prime-time news report?

Post by tomclarke »

DeltaV wrote:I don't recall seeing anything about it here.

The extraordinary political scandal unfolding at the top of the party – the suspected murder of the Briton Neil Heywood by the wife of the top leader Bo Xilai – is unprecedented.
Chinese police investigating the death of the British businessman Neil Heywood believe he was murdered after threatening to expose a plan by Chinese leader Bo Xilai's wife to move money overseas, sources have said.
As you can imagine, we have had very extensive coverage of this. China does have trouble with corruption. Interestingly when this is local officials it can be dealt with, and is often so. Central government wants China to be cleaner, ans has the power and inclination to make examples of the offenders.

Which is not to say there is no corruption at central government level.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Saw it nowhere.
Vae Victis

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

djolds1 wrote:

Saw it nowhere.
I saw it in the blogosphere, rumors of an attempted coup and the cretin using his influence over the army to try to intimidate the central committee with tanks rumbling around Peking....

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Possible civil war in China?

Pffffaaaah! Why would that merit US prime time? Give us the Kardashians and American Idol!

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

I've seen a number of articles about it—all online, but in some rather mainstream U.S. sources, including Yahoo! News and the Wall Street Journal, if I recall correctly. The story has been unfolding rather gradually. I haven't seen any evidence that it's big news in China, but that may not mean anything. I don't doubt that there's plenty of Internet chatter about it. As for the rumors of an attempted coup: they're only Internet rumors as far as most of us know. And if they were more than rumors, I don't think we'll know about that for a long time, if ever.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

DeltaV wrote:Possible civil war in China?

Pffffaaaah! Why would that merit US prime time? Give us the Kardashians and American Idol!

Yes, the American Media is basically incompetent at covering anything of real importance. Bread and Circuses.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I don't get cable at present, but I do keep MHz programmed on the over-air receiver. Sometimes you just have to channel-surf the foriegn news to realize what the US media don't follow.

The number of wars being fought that we don't even know about here should be an eye-opener. If it is not on the US media pet list, you just don't here about it. BBC may cover it.

Betruger

It flows as free as the market demands it.

Post by Betruger »

Hey.. So much for information being free :D
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

necoras

Post by necoras »

NPR ran a story on it ( http://www.npr.org/2012/04/18/150859101 ... al-scandal ). I want to say I heard it Friday evening? So yes, there was coverage, but it's not been hugely publicized.

krenshala

Re: It flows as free as the market demands it.

Post by krenshala »

I did see a quick 30 sec (or less) blurb about it on CNN on friday. I didn't hear anything because we have the TV muted here at work, however, so I don't know if I just missed any additional coverage it may have garnered.
Betruger wrote:Hey.. So much for information being free :D
Oh, its definitely free. The problem is that some of it doesn't generate a profit, so it doesn't get covered. :?

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Playing with words.. It's free; but what if no one's buyin?
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.