Free at last, free at last ...

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Actually, the Quiet Zone can work in my favor. I may set up a small radiotelescope.

A number of my neighbors use satellite internet, although they seem to all download from satellite, upload via phone modem. Possibly that's due to the Quiet Zone. Other people I know who use Wild Blue can uplink via their dish, at much better bandwidth. I do note that whatever power these ground stations use is narrowly focused, plus I'm not in one of the close-in restricted zones. Hopefully the provider knows the rules.

Sugar Grove has been a thorn in my side for months. The contractor who built my garage is building a rec center down there at the same time, so they've slowed my progress.

But you're not suggesting Sugar Grove actually listens to anything, I hope? ;)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The community center is nice. Has a rustic feel to it. I like the cabins along the stream as well. Some folks used to like to go out to walk/run the site perimeter. I'll have to get back there and see what the new rec center looks like. Personally, I liked the fire roads for mountain biking.

I guess given that there is not so much out there, beggers can't be choosers.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

As I'm presently working at Vint Hill, a former Army listening post, I can just picture it. Patrol Road used to be just inside the fence, and is now a jogging trail. I know when I visited circa 1980 there was a bowling alley, but I can't spot it. There are four different swimming pools, a movie theater (now community theater) and a fairly nice gym.

Visit the cabin and I'll fix you up with some good trails.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Tom,

Did you miss my recent e-mail about board design?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I got it, Simon. I got my schematic entered and have done a preliminary component placement, but now I have to figure out how to go from there to making traces and Gerbers. I suppose I'll have to RTFM. My boss has me drilling a lot of holes in Budd Boxes at the moment.

Did you see my post saying your inspiration on fear and freedom managed to wind up, somewhat disguised, on another blog?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Tom Ligon wrote:I got it, Simon. I got my schematic entered and have done a preliminary component placement, but now I have to figure out how to go from there to making traces and Gerbers. I suppose I'll have to RTFM. My boss has me drilling a lot of holes in Budd Boxes at the moment.

Did you see my post saying your inspiration on fear and freedom managed to wind up, somewhat disguised, on another blog?
Yes I missed that. I'll look it up.

If you are using TinyCAD and FreePCB I can be your starter manual. Otherwise you are on your own.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Ah, my belly is full of pizza from my retirement luncheon.

Tomorrow is my last day. This weekend I buy some lumber. I will have a corner office, but I have to build it first.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Tom Ligon wrote:Ah, my belly is full of pizza from my retirement luncheon.

Tomorrow is my last day. This weekend I buy some lumber. I will have a corner office, but I have to build it first.

I'm paranoid about wood. Steel is the only way to go IMO. :)

Congrats. I just hoped you've got your bases covered. Medical expenses can bankrupt a man nowadays.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

As near as I can figure, you still barter for medical care in WV, with a chicken the preferred form of payment. Of course, for anything serious you are flown to a Virginia hospital, and that's expensive. Blue Cross for now.

As for steel, the second floor is held up by a 31-foot long W18 x 86 beam. Steel studs are not the best choice for sound deadening, for the office and adjacent studio I'm sticking with wood studs, and some isolation tricks.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Congrats Tom.

I do hope to make it up to the cabin and play with your bit of HY and such.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Tom,
Seems I beat you out by a day. Yesterday was MY last day!

Free at last, free at last; indeed.

I do note that I woke up this AM at about the same time as I would have to go to work, and without an alarm clock.

Guess it takes a few days to get the body to believe in retirement. :D

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Nice job Kiteman (now NV instead of SA IIRC)! Gotta get you up to the new lab now that we're both independent.

I have my first lab work gig in the mail right now, a little solar panel test. That's without even having the lab open yet.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Retirement gave me the opportunity to pursue Polywell. And let me put in a plug for Tom's patience with me while I was stumbling around. And he wasn't even retired yet. ;-)

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Simon, we didn't know it at the time, but all that Q&A between you, me, and the other old-timers here was being watched by people who mattered. We know it helped get the program going again. Educating you educated them, and that was easily worth the trouble.

As if anyone could have shut me up once Dr. Bussard went public.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I loaded up the last boxes, turned in my key and that hated badge, and I'm sooooo outa there!

Now, how do I save the world?