Israeli Facebook and loving Iranians

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

bennmann

Israeli Facebook and loving Iranians

Post by bennmann »

http://www.jta.org/news/article/2012/03 ... s-together

https://www.facebook.com/LoveAndPeaceCa ... ceCampaign
"To the Iranian people, To all the fathers, mothers, children, brothers and sisters, For there to be a war between us, first we must be afraid of each other, we must hate. I'm not afraid of you, I don't hate you. I don t even know you. No Iranian ever did me no harm."

Iranians began responding Sunday. One upload showed a photo of an Iranian woman wearing sunglasses with the words "My Israeli friends, I don't hate you, I don't want war."
Almost as good as a charity that gives people the bare necessities of life like food, water, and shelter; I like this charity of the heart started by citizens in one country and sent to another.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

And then the Iranian autorities start rolling up folks who post...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

Yeah that part kinda sucked.

The idealist in me chose to leave that part out, but I'm glad you mentioned it. Perhaps I am still too young a man to jump right to the horrible oppression that follows around such high charity.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I am pretty sure that a good number of Iranians don't give much thought to Israeli's day to day. And if they meet them at the market, they would buy/sell fruit.

I think that most Israelis have not hate for the "average" Iranian. But, in contrast, I do think that most Israelis think about Iran about every day. And, I think they try to seperate the actions of the "Iranian Power Holders" from the "Average Joe's". (please note the intentional lack of use of the word leader.)

It is a crappy situation no matter how you slice it.

Try reading "A Peace to End All Peace" by David Fromkin. Or, if you happen to be up at Tuft's Fletcher School next fall, they may do another SIMULEX for the Middle East. However, I think they may do East Asia. Either way, a growing experience in the crappy realities of "World Affairs".

"Golly-Gee Dad, do folks really lie to each other???" :?
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Leave Palestine and Israel will have taken the first step toward acceptance. They are a state surrounded by enemies who do not attack because we, the U.S., actively pay them to keep the peace. I think the American people a weary of war and regardless of political strings, may see mass protest finally against such a war.

The everyday Iranian thinks of their brothers in Palestine. If you attack one, you attack the other. Iranians while stuck under a regime, still see brotherhood with their neighbor, but not likely with Israel.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ScottL wrote:Leave Palestine and Israel will have taken the first step toward acceptance. They are a state surrounded by enemies who do not attack because we, the U.S., actively pay them to keep the peace. I think the American people a weary of war and regardless of political strings, may see mass protest finally against such a war.

The everyday Iranian thinks of their brothers in Palestine. If you attack one, you attack the other. Iranians while stuck under a regime, still see brotherhood with their neighbor, but not likely with Israel.

Iranians are Persian, not Arabs. The Arabs are probably more closely related to the Israelis than they are to the Persians.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Iranians are Persian, not Arabs. The Arabs are probably more closely related to the Israelis than they are to the Persians.
It is not so simple though. They have all had very close cultural ties for 1200 years through a shared religion (yes there are sects but generally they are as alike as all the christian religions, which has largely influenced western society). They are also united via a common enemy and a hate target that certain groups are trying to keep alive. The US has been a country for less than 250 years and yet its inhabitants identify themselves with it and speak of it as a "nation".

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Diogenes wrote:
ScottL wrote:Leave Palestine and Israel will have taken the first step toward acceptance. They are a state surrounded by enemies who do not attack because we, the U.S., actively pay them to keep the peace. I think the American people a weary of war and regardless of political strings, may see mass protest finally against such a war.

The Arabs as you put it are paid not to wage war on Israel, this is all well documented. Islam is the dominant religion both in the Arab world and in Palestine and Iran, so you have a religious tie. You also have an extreme cultural cross-over of over 1200 years. Based on my discussions with Afghanis, muslim Indians, etc... They have a united dislike for Israel due to its land grab of 67 I believe it was. Furthermore, we know Israel initiated the land grab and war based on the intel recovered by the USS Liberty, which I might add was bombed to shit by the Israelis who magically could no longer identify a rather huge American flag flying atop the ship.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

You have much to learn Grasshopper.

Rule 1: Arabs Hate Persians.

Rule 2: Persians Hate Arabs

Rule 3: Israelis are Arabs.

Rule 4: Arabs Hate Arabs.

Rule 5: There is no such thing as United Islam. It is a Myth. Well propagated sometimes, but none-the-less a Myth.

Un-numbered rule: People Hate People who "have money"

Un-numbered rule part 2: Most people think Jewish People have money.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

ladajo wrote: Rule 4: Arabs Hate Arabs.
Say it ain't so! :P

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Un-numbered rule: People Hate People who "have money"

Un-numbered rule part 2: Most people think Jewish People have money.
Uhm, so the arabs would have to hate themselves too, because they are quite wealthy due to oil. you know.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

If you mean other Arabs, that's #4. If you mean hate themselves, individually, "have money" == more money than themselves.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

It is a culture rife with envy and hypocracy. Shame that.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Well, we will see how things go, alright. I would not be so quick to dismiss what I said. At least I formed my opinion by talking to actual people...

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Pretty sure both Ladajo and I have extensive first hand experience with middle easterners. If you didn't mean someone else. Maybe you meant that at least you know enough to at least get a gut feeling as opposed to majority of people living nowhere near the ME.