Polywell Manhatten Project question

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

cgray45

Polywell Manhatten Project question

Post by cgray45 »

I'm working an another science fiction novel and part of it (not a central part) is a drive to get polywell units deployed and ready to go.

So, if say the government walked up to the polywell people and said: "I need this within 12 months, preferably sooner-- we need to know if it will work. In order to do this, you have a blank check of billions, not just in cash but in access to trained engineers and facilities"

how fast coudl it be made to work, presuming it did work? (The novel assumes that the concept is workable).

Thanks!
Check out my blog-- not just about fusion, but anything that attracts this 40 something historians interest.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I'm pretty sure Bussard thought he could make it work within a couple years given just $200 million. No need for Manhattan style funding. For fiction, you could say 3 months and a billion dollars and get away with it.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

a quote from a movie I watched recently:

more or less, "Beautiful building! How long would that take to build here <Paris>? Oh, nine or ten years, but in the UAE, nine or ten months. Really, well I guess you just have to love the labor laws."
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Roger

Re: Polywell Manhatten Project question

Post by Roger »

cgray45 wrote: "I need this within 12 months, preferably sooner-!
A sci fi novel.....11 months and 3 weeks.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

rrogers

Sci-Fe requirements

Post by rrogers »

Don't forget, it's the Navy.
Construction must be done with absolute secrecy; for 30 years?
It must fit into the preexisting nuclear compartments onboard ship.
Your on the hook for >30 years of maintenance in the Persian Gulf, Sea of Japan, and the Indian sea.
And you have to play golf with the Admirals every weekend :)
And of course sea trials and exercises.

Ray
Old enough to know better
Young enough to try

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

It must fit into the preexisting nuclear compartments onboard ship.
Only if NR gets control.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

hanelyp

Re: Sci-Fe requirements

Post by hanelyp »

rrogers wrote:It must fit into the preexisting nuclear compartments onboard ship.
Limiting if, as speculated, the polywell is suited for mid sized ships that existing nuclear fission tech isn't accepted for.

KitemanSA

Re: Sci-Fe requirements

Post by KitemanSA »

hanelyp wrote:
rrogers wrote:It must fit into the preexisting nuclear compartments onboard ship.
Limiting if, as speculated, the polywell is suited for mid sized ships that existing nuclear fission tech isn't accepted for.
"Existing" nuclear fission tech isn't accepted for mid size ships only becasue NR isn't willing to admit that Adm Rickover messed up when he chose the PWR style reactor. If they'd gone with the MSR type, we'd have most of our ships powered by nuclear power, and probably most of the country too.
Last edited by KitemanSA on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

NR played with MSR and liquid metal back in the day. There were concerns for shipboard suitability at the time as I recall. I'd have to poke around.

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

maybe like what happens if they spring a leak? lol
Carter

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

:D

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

yup, explosive molten lithium is pretty stupid. Molten lithium FLUORIDE in the other hand is pretty darn stable.

As I said, NR won't acknowledge that the guy who invented the Pressurized Water Reactor knew whereof he spoke when he said they weren't very safe, and thus needed lots of secondary and tertiary safety systems.

This same guy (Alvin M. Weinberg) spent the remainder of his career developing the Molten Salt Reactor, til he was fire by Nixon, another strike against that SOB (N, not W).
Last edited by KitemanSA on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote:NR played with MSR and liquid metal back in the day.
NR looked at the MSR? Data please? I know they did that ridiculous LMFB, but MSR???

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Might be paper only, I have to dig. I don't think it will be a "no further comment" :D Let me see.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Ladajo it really is great having you around, not just in terms of attitude of course, but information.