Crime and Punishment: Oklahoma (& Texas) style!

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

williatw

Re: Crime and Punishment: Oklahoma (& Texas) style!

Post by williatw »

hanelyp wrote:
choff wrote:Exactly how would a government go about confiscating 400 million privately owned fire arms. Lets assume 1 in every 10,000 of those guns accidentally discharged killing a confiscator during the process. That would put a death toll with a fully compliant public at Vietnam war level.
It wouldn't, at least not all at once. Which is why "gun control" efforts in the US are always incremental, removing selected firearms or groups of "undesirables". Or such measures as restricting ammunition.
So the lefty libs that want gun control are undeterred by the logistical details of getting rid of 300 million plus firearms in the hands of 90-100 million Americans; they rarely admit in the first place that their goal is a total gun ban eventually (it is instead only to impose "sane", "sober", "sensible", "reasonable" restrictions). Secondly, on the rare occasions they admit they want to ban guns in total they say thing like "well you have to start somewhere" or words to that effect. These are the same lefty libs that denounce/mock Trump for saying he wants to build a wall around our southern border and deport 11 million or so illegals as crazy/insane/out of touch with reality. Obviously the difference is that they really, really want to ban guns and don't care how long it takes, how difficult it would be, or how much it would cost; whereas they don't want to do much about illegals because among other reasons they see them as reliable liberal voters at some point in the future.

williatw

Post by williatw »

An amazing interview by Kurt Russell on Gun Control, “put some controls? So the people who want to defend themselves can’t?”

The problem that we are having right now is that we don’t have the concepts of how to turn it around and say, you may think you’ve got me worried about what you are going to do, Dude, you’re about to find out what I’m gonna do, and that’s gonna worry you a lot more. And that‘s what we need
Kurt Russell: If you think gun control, or something like that, is going to change the terrorists’ point of view, I think you’re, like, out of your mind. I think anybody [who says that] is. I think it’s absolutely insane.

The problem that we are having right now is that we don’t have the concepts of how to turn it around and say, you may think you’ve got me worried about what you are going to do, Dude, you’re about to find out what I’m gonna do, and that’s gonna worry you a lot more. And that‘s what we need.That will change the concept of gun culture, as you call it, to something [like] reality. Which is, if I’m a hockey team and I’ve got some guy bearing down on me as a goal tender, I’m not concerned about what he’s gonna do — I’m gonna make him concerned about what I’m gonna do to stop him. That’s when things change. . . .

Wells: Obama’s point was that the guys on the no-fly list, no-fly list because of terrorist connections, can get a gun pretty easily.

Russell: They can also get a bomb pretty easily, so what? They can also get knives and stab you. What are you gonna do about that? They can also get cars and run you over. What are you gonna do about that?

Wells: They didn’t kill the people in San Bernardino with . . .

Russell: Well, they killed others that way. Haven’t they? Yah. Yah. So what are you going to do? Outlaw everything? That isn’t the answer.

Wells: Just put some controls.

Russell: Put some controls? So the people who want to defend themselves can’t?

Wells: No, not so you can’t, just so the idiots can’t get a hold of them.

Russell: Do you really believe that they aren’t going to? Are you serious about that?

Kurt Russell on Gun Control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMbAU5C5Ra8

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

My issue with restricting people on the "no fly" list goes beyond the general gun control debate, to the lack of transparency and general due process of getting names on the list. Some people who are very much not criminals have run into problems with their names on the list.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Fun for the whole family!

Dad fired off a warning shot, which the intruder ignored. When Large continued into the kitchen, mom and son opened up, killing him.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/201 ... nces-more/
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

Diogenes wrote:Image
This^
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

choff

Post by choff »

Here's a story out of Texas where a gun was used to save a life, (warning, happy ending for all involved)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2474678
CHoff

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

choff wrote:Here's a story out of Texas where a gun was used to save a life, (warning, happy ending for all involved)

This story brings to light something my nephew told me six months ago. He has removed himself from the organ donor program. He has advised me to do the same. He is a mortician and deals with the bodies after the donations are made. He claims the average body is worth about $100,000 when it is in good condition. He says none of the money that is made by the organ donor program goes back to the family of the deceased. He also says that there is a rush to process " harvesting organs"because the sooner they take the organs the better condition they are and the more viable they are for transplant.Is also very disgusted with the shape they leave the remains in as he has to take the corpse and make it into a presentable presentation for the family.

He also makes a claim that the more likely they are to harvest is based on your ability to pay or not. After reading this story I'm beginning to wonder if that's true or not. Based on personal experience one of my clients that has COPD. One day at work she collapsed and went into a coma. After three days the doctors came to her husband and said she had no chance recovery should start thinking about the fact that she was organ donator it might be time to pull the plug. Chubby, her husband raised hell and almost got thrown out of the hospital. Needless to say five days later Pauline awoke from her coma and was discharged three days later. I pass it off as just poor medical practice at the time This was four years ago.
After reading this article and given the fact that my nephew told me ; one has to start wondering that maybe there's some truth behind this story that he has told. It reminds me of some science fiction books I read as a youth and one of the major crimes was organlegging , Organlegging is the name of a fictional crime in the Known Space universe created by Larry Niven. It is the illicit trade of black market human organs for transplant.
It seems like once again science fiction is paving the way for reality. Or maybe I'm just that bat shit crazy. But now I have to start wonder. There is a wiki about Larry Niven and that stories he wrote about this very problem. It's very interesting but I would not recommend reading it before you went to bed.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

paperburn1 wrote: After reading this article and given the fact that my nephew told me ; one has to start wondering that maybe there's some truth behind this story that he has told. It reminds me of some science fiction books I read as a youth and one of the major crimes was organlegging , Organlegging is the name of a fictional crime in the Known Space universe created by Larry Niven. It is the illicit trade of black market human organs for transplant.
It seems like once again science fiction is paving the way for reality. Or maybe I'm just that bat shit crazy. But now I have to start wonder. There is a wiki about Larry Niven and that stories he wrote about this very problem. It's very interesting but I would not recommend reading it before you went to bed.

Great Story. I also remember the term "CorpseSicle" from that story, but it turns out it was invented by Frederich Pohl three years before the Niven story.
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

choff wrote:Here's a story out of Texas where a gun was used to save a life, (warning, happy ending for all involved)

Apparently this happens far more than the Crime Stats would indicate.

Why the FBI's Justifiable Homicide Statistics are a Deceptive Measure of Defensive Gun Use
— Lord Melbourne —

williatw

Post by williatw »

‘I told him to sit down’: Rockland resident shoots intruder

Harvey Lembo of Rockland said he bought a gun Monday after his apartment at the Park Street Apartments in Rockland was broken into for the fourth time. He shot an alleged intruder Monday night trying to steal his prescription pain medication

ROCKLAND, Maine — A Rockland resident who shot an intruder in his apartment late Monday night said Tuesday he had purchased the gun only Monday.

The alleged intruder, Christopher Wildhaber, 45, of Rockland, was caught by police in the woods near the Park Street residence a short time after the confrontation, according to Rockland police Sgt. Don Finnegan. Police said Wildhaber put up a brief struggle before being subdued.

Wildhaber was taken to Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport and then to Maine Medical Center in Portland to be treated for a gunshot wound to the shoulder. He since has been released from the hospital and is being held at the Cumberland County Jail in Portland, according to Rockland police.

Harvey Lembo, the 67-year-old apartment dweller who shot Wildhaber, told the BDN on Tuesday morning the break-in marked the fifth time he had been the victim of a burglary in the six years he has lived at Park Place. The last time was a month ago, when medications and $1,000 in cash were stolen, Lembo said.

He said he purchased a 7 mm Russian-made revolver Monday but declined to say where he acquired it. He said he bought it because he was concerned he would continue to be the target of criminals looking to steal his prescribed medications.

Lembo said he is disabled and must use a motorized wheelchair to get around and believes that may be why some people think he is an easy target.

Lembo said he had the gun under his pillow around midnight Monday night when he was awoken by a sound in his apartment and then saw a shadow pass by his kitchen into the living room. Lembo took the gun and confronted the intruder, who was rifling through his medications.

While aiming the gun at the man, Lembo said, “I told him to sit down while I called police or I would blow his brains out.”

The intruder complied and sat on a coffee table while Lembo called 911.

While Lembo was on the phone with the public safety dispatcher, the intruder jumped up and Lembo said he fired a shot. The intruder fled out a back door, leaving a pool of blood, Lembo said.

Lembo said the shooting left him nervous, and he couldn’t sleep after the incident.

Police initially said they did not expect the resident of the apartment to be charged but later clarified the decision rests with the district attorney.

The case is under investigation, Finnegan said.

District Attorney Geoffrey Rushlau was prosecuting a case in Lincoln County on Tuesday and was not immediately available for comment. Assistant District Attorney Christopher Fernald referred questions on the use of force in a person’s home to Rushlau.

State law outlines when it is permissible to use deadly force in defense of premises. The law states: “A person in possession or control of a dwelling place or a person who is licensed or privileged to be therein is justified in using deadly force upon another person: When the person reasonably believes that deadly force is necessary to prevent or terminate the commission of a criminal trespass by such other person, who the person reasonably believes: Has entered or is attempting to enter the dwelling place or has surreptitiously remained within the dwelling place without a license or privilege to do so; and is committing or is likely to commit some other crime within the dwelling place.”

The law further states: “A person may use deadly force under subsection 3, paragraph B only if the person first demands the person against whom such deadly force is to be used to terminate the criminal trespass and the trespasser fails to immediately comply with the demand, unless the person reasonably believes that it would be dangerous to the person or a 3rd person to make the demand.”
http://bangordailynews.com/2015/09/01/n ... -intruder/

williatw

Post by williatw »

Rockland landlord asks court to throw out tenant’s gun rights lawsuit

Harvey Lembo of Rockland said he bought a gun after his apartment at the Park Street Apartments in Rockland was broken into for the fourth time. He shot an alleged intruder in August trying to steal his prescription pain medication

ROCKLAND, Maine — The owner of a Rockland apartment complex and the company that manages it have asked a state judge to dismiss a lawsuit filed by a 67-year-old tenant who claims his right to own a gun is being violated.

Park Place Associates of Rockland and Stanford Management LLC of Portland acknowledge in their motion to dismiss that they notified tenant Harvey Lembo he was in violation of house rules by having a gun on the premises and that they would initiate the eviction process if he did not comply.

In August, Lembo, who uses a wheelchair, shot and wounded a man he believed had broken into his apartment to steal his prescription medication.

Soon afterward, Lembo received a letter from the apartment management company explaining its policy against guns.

The lawsuit on behalf of Lembo was filed last month in Knox County Unified Court in Rockland, claiming that the property owner and management company were violating his right to possess a gun as stated in both the U.S. and Maine constitutions.
https://bangordailynews.com/2015/12/24/ ... s-lawsuit/

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

williatw wrote:
ROCKLAND, Maine — The owner of a Rockland apartment complex and the company that manages it have asked a state judge to dismiss a lawsuit filed by a 67-year-old tenant who claims his right to own a gun is being violated.

Park Place Associates of Rockland and Stanford Management LLC of Portland acknowledge in their motion to dismiss that they notified tenant Harvey Lembo he was in violation of house rules by having a gun on the premises and that they would initiate the eviction process if he did not comply.

What @$$holes. He needs to shove this lawsuit up their @$$ and break it off.

Owning a weapon is a natural right.
— Lord Melbourne —

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... next-week/

President Obama will meet with Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch on Monday to finalize a set of executive actions on guns that he will unveil next week, according to several individuals briefed on the matter.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

paperburn1 wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... next-week/

President Obama will meet with Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch on Monday to finalize a set of executive actions on guns that he will unveil next week, according to several individuals briefed on the matter.

Screw him. We can wait out the clock on this jackass. I urge Americans to defy any of his gun control efforts in any manner that they are able.
— Lord Melbourne —