Crime and Punishment: Oklahoma (& Texas) style!

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

I had the same Glock recoil jam problem, several years ago. The range instructor recommend I change from a cup-and-saucer grip technique to Parker (dominant hand wrapped around the grips & non-dominant hand around the dominant hand).

Worked for me, even though I held the pistol no tighter...
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

rjaypeters wrote:I had the same Glock recoil jam problem, several years ago. The range instructor recommend I change from a cup-and-saucer grip technique to Parker (dominant hand wrapped around the grips & non-dominant hand around the dominant hand).

Worked for me, even though I held the pistol no tighter...
Watch out for the slide. Tends to catch the thumb if you're not careful.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Diogenes wrote:And a subsequent story reveals this: (Which I suspected from the beginning.)

BLANCHARD — The two men who invaded Sarah McKinley's Blanchard mobile home had just taken prescription painkillers and might have been after more medication, according to an affidavit filed Wednesday in Grady County.

http://newsok.com/alleged-accomplice-in ... z1ibFFtzU8

If only prescription narcotics were freely available to anyone who wanted them, this tragedy might not have happened.
A consequence of prohibition.

Who invades. homes in search of money for alcohol these days?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

GIThruster wrote:Two big thumbs down for Simon stealing yet another thread to support his druggie crusade. Obvious evidence MSimon's drug use has taken from him any common sense he might otherwise have had.
Sure enough. I have lost all common sense. The magazine I write for has just given me a promotion. I'll tell you more about it in a few months.

I blame the drugs.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

[sarc]Now, I must buy a gun...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/25/f ... own-a-gun/

It has all become clear to me. Thank you, Dr. Cass![/sarc]
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

williatw

Post by williatw »

The Case for More Guns (And More Gun Control) by Jeffrey Goldberg
How do we reduce gun crime and Aurora-style mass shootings when Americans already own nearly 300 million firearms? Maybe by allowing more people to carry them.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... ol/309161/

...Today, the number of concealed-carry permits is the highest it’s ever been, at 8 million, and the homicide rate is the lowest it’s been in four decades—less than half what it was 20 years ago. (The number of people allowed to carry concealed weapons is actually considerably higher than 8 million, because residents of Vermont, Wyoming, Arizona, Alaska, and parts of Montana do not need government permission to carry their personal firearms. These states have what Second Amendment absolutists refer to as “constitutional carry,” meaning, in essence, that the Second Amendment is their permit.)

...According to John Lott, an economist and a gun-rights advocate who maintains that gun ownership by law-abiding citizens helps curtail crime, the crime rate among concealed-carry permit holders is lower than the crime rate among police officers.

Blankbeard

Post by Blankbeard »

williatw wrote:The Case for More Guns (And More Gun Control) by Jeffrey Goldberg
How do we reduce gun crime and Aurora-style mass shootings when Americans already own nearly 300 million firearms? Maybe by allowing more people to carry them.
It's nice to see someone link the gay marriage and gun control debates, particularly seeing how GLBT people are among the most harmed by gun control. One .357 will do more to teach tolerance and acceptance than a billion
Danny has two daddies" books. Also politeness.

Also, not a word on the elephant in the room: The other way of dealing with mass shootings caused by the disturbed is to identify the disturbed and care for them. Yes, the old institutionalization system had its faults and any new system will be exploitable but it is a much more realistic and less harmful option than gun control. It's also constitutionally permissible but no one in politics today cares about that.

I'd also like to throw the idea out there that liberal support for gun control has less to do with guns than the general liberal/progressive suspicion of individual action. Individuals can be selfish, racist, or just plain wrong. Surely a nice impersonal collective will be more human! At least, that's the idea. Theory and Practice again.
For a while, Republicans were doing well at keeping the crazies off the porch. Now, they seem to be running the place. Although this guy doesn't appear to be someone of any real import.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

rjaypeters wrote:[sarc]Now, I must buy a gun...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/25/f ... own-a-gun/

It has all become clear to me. Thank you, Dr. Cass![/sarc]

Why do these guys say dumb stuff like that?
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

williatw

Post by williatw »

Newly released photo shows bloodied George Zimmerman from night of Trayvon Martin incident

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/03/ne ... on-martin/

...Zimmerman’s legal team released the photo, which they believe bolsters their case that Zimmerman, 29, was being beaten when he fatally shot the 17-year-old Martin in the chest. The photo was taken by police and only released to Zimmerman’s team recently, said Zimmerman’s lawyer. Previously, the team only had a black-and-white photocopy of the picture.

“That's really one of my frustrations. They originally submitted a black and white photo so we asked for a color copy. They then submitted a color photo copy that was drab," said Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara to Foxnews.com.

"We kept asking for a digital copy and then we had to file a motion [in court] to have it submitted." ....
Requests for comment to special prosecutor Angela Corey's office were not immediately returned.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

The standard of jurist prudence that is supposed to prevail in the US allows the defense the best access to any and all evidence (consistent with them not disappearing or altering the only copy). If the Zimmerman defense needed a court order to get a high quality copy of photographic evidence, something is sorely amiss in that precinct.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Yes well, whenever the legal system is infected by politics it acts badly. This is a top shelf case that the prosecutor has a huge interest to win even if she has to bend the rules. Not fair, but that's what happens when someone politicizes a case that never should have gone to court.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

GIThruster wrote:Yes well, whenever the legal system is infected by politics it acts badly. This is a top shelf case that the prosecutor has a huge interest to win even if she has to bend the rules. Not fair, but that's what happens when someone politicizes a case that never should have gone to court.

What do you expect when the News Media orchestrated a two minute hate for Emmanuel Goldstein.... er, I mean George Zimmerman.
— Lord Melbourne —

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

It is not a 2 minute hate session that is so concerning to me as the fact that specific outlets such as CNN, chose this case to manipulate and then did just that. The "processing" of the phone recording to try and present the victim as racist was bad enough, but it is the press that pushed this issue until the police finally brought charges for political reasons.

You have to ask yourself who is safe when the media is able to manufacture charges like this and have a man incarcerated purely to push their political agenda.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

williatw

Post by williatw »

hanelyp wrote:The standard of jurist prudence that is supposed to prevail in the US allows the defense the best access to any and all evidence (consistent with them not disappearing or altering the only copy). If the Zimmerman defense needed a court order to get a high quality copy of photographic evidence, something is sorely amiss in that precinct.
Angela Corey will argue if Zimmerman had not "hounded" and "pursued" Martin "backing him into a corner" after racially profiling him, then the events leading to Zimm shooting him would not have happened. Therefore it makes no difference if Martin punched first and was allegedly hitting him when Zimm shot him, she will say Zimm was at fault for having "caused the situation".

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

williatw wrote:
hanelyp wrote:The standard of jurist prudence that is supposed to prevail in the US allows the defense the best access to any and all evidence (consistent with them not disappearing or altering the only copy). If the Zimmerman defense needed a court order to get a high quality copy of photographic evidence, something is sorely amiss in that precinct.
Angela Corey will argue if Zimmerman had not "hounded" and "pursued" Martin "backing him into a corner" after racially profiling him, then the events leading to Zimm shooting him would not have happened. Therefore it makes no difference if Martin punched first and was allegedly hitting him when Zimm shot him, she will say Zimm was at fault for having "caused the situation".
It also could be argued if when the neighborhood watch approached and he identified himself as new to the neighborhood it would have not occurred. Hindsight and after play calling will still only tell us the version the victor wants to tell.