Crime and Punishment: Oklahoma (& Texas) style!

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

williatw

Re: Crime and Punishment: Oklahoma (& Texas) style!

Post by williatw »

Concealed carrier receives Citizen’s Award of Valor for saving Ohio police officer

Ohio concealed carrier Dylan DeBoard was presented an award this week for saving Mount Vernon Police Cpl. Michael Wheeler, who was being attacked by a suspect.

An Ohio man with a concealed carry permit was presented an award this week for saving a Mount Vernon police officer who was being attacked by a suspect.

Cpl. Michael Wheeler of Ohio’s Mount Vernon Police Department recounted Wednesday an incident last year when he was attacked by a homeless crystal meth addict. Cpl. Wheeler said the suspect knocked him onto his back and pinned him to the ground, The Federalist reported.

“I’ve never been in that situation before,” the 14-year department veteran told Inside Edition. “I’ve always been able to take control of a situation.”

PHOTOS: 11 times a good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy, saving lives

Cpl. Wheeler said the man was reaching for his firearm when Dylan DeBoard appeared with a handgun drawn.

The officer said Mr. DeBoard announced he had a concealed weapon permit, and the suspect put his hands in the air.

That’s when Cpl. Wheeler managed to flip the suspect over and handcuff him.

Earlier this week, Cpl. Wheeler awarded Mr. DeBoard with the city’s Citizen’s Award of Valor.

He said he often stops by Mr. DeBoard’s home just to thank him.

“Every time I see him I let him know how much I appreciate what he did,” the officer said. “I wish a lot more of society would do what he did. There were people standing around, but they were just watching. I kept wondering why people didn’t do anything.”
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... or-saving/

williatw

Post by williatw »

Gun ownership is up in America. So why isn't the media telling you about it?

By John R. Lott

Handguns are displayed in the sales area of Sandy Springs Gun Club and Range, in Sandy Springs, Ga
Two weeks ago, the PEW Research Center released a survey showing that gun ownership by households is up to 44% — a 7-percentage point increase in the past two years. Another 5% of households won’t reveal whether they own a gun. Yet, not a single mainstream American media headline has announced the increase.

In fact, the media goes out of its way to find polls claiming that Americans are turning away from guns. In their War on Guns they want to give the impression that gun owners are a small, fringe group. Maybe they are hoping that this will have an impact on policy. As General Social Survey director Tom Smith told me, a large drop in gun ownership would “make it easier for politicians to do the right thing on guns.”

In June, the Washington Post and Time magazine trumpeted a CBS News poll with this headline: “American gun ownership drops to lowest in nearly 40 years” and “The Weird Reason Why Gun Ownership in America Is at Its Lowest Point Since the 1970s.” Last year, an Associated Press headline announced: “Gun ownership in U.S. drops to record low.” Recent headlines in the New York Times and CNN declared: “Share of Homes With Guns Shows 4-Decade Decline” and “Fewer US gun owners own more guns.”

The Washington Post falsely assured readers, “The downward trend in gun ownership remains consistent across the national polls.” Bizarrely, if the Washington Post and CNN had relied on their own polls, their headlines would claim that gun ownership has remained constant over the years. But neither organization has run such headlines.

Only two surveys actually show a drop in gun ownership. They are by CBS News and the General Social Survey (GSS). According to the GSS, the percentage of homes with a gun has fallen from approximately 50% in the late 1970s to 32% in 2014. The CBS poll claimed that ownership had fallen from 51% in 1978 to 36% this year.

But many other surveys have obtained very different results.
•According to Gallup, household gun ownership has ranged from 51 percent in 1994 to just 34 percent in 1999. In 2014, household gun ownership was at 42 percent – comparable to the 43-45 percent figures during the 1970s.

There was absolutely no news coverage of a 2011 Gallup poll headlined, “Self-Reported Gun Ownership in U.S. Is Highest Since 1993.”
•The ABC News/Washington Post poll shows an even more stable pattern, with household gun ownership rates of 44-46 percent in 1999. In 2013, the ownership rate was 43 percent.

• A CNN poll from January showed 40% of Americans living in a household that owns a gun. Nine percent of respondents were unwilling to state an opinion, implying that the true ownership rate is greater than 40%.

Furthermore, polling is not the only indicator of gun ownership. The number of concealed handgun permits has soared from about 2.7 million in 1999 to over 14.5 million in 2016. The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) shows that the number of gun purchases has exploded, almost doubling from 2008 to 2015.

In Illinois, a Firearm Owner Identification (FOID) card is required. The number of people with those cards dramatically increased from slightly over 1 million in 2010 to 1.8 million in 2015.

There are some other strong reasons for believing that polls underestimate the number of gun owners. A recent Zogby Analytics survey posed the question, "If a national pollster asked you if you owned a firearm, would you determine to tell him or her the truth or would you feel it was none of their business?” Thirty-five percent of current gun owners said that it was none of the pollsters’ business. This answer is especially common among those who claim not to be gun owners.

We also know that current events influence people’s willingness to acknowledge gun ownership. After mass shootings, a sudden drop can be seen in the polling numbers. But there is no evidence of people getting rid of their guns. Indeed, gun sales actually soar.

But this isn’t the only limitation of gun ownership polls. Take the fact that, compared to married women, married men are much more likely to admit to having a gun in the home. Either the men are hiding guns from their wives or women are more reluctant to tell pollsters that they own a gun. If the latter, the GSS survey results should be about 4 percentage points higher.

The media's selective use of polls may provide gun control advocates with talking points and let them try isolating gun owners. But hard numbers clearly show a huge increase in gun sales and in the percentage of Americans who carry guns.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/09/ ... ut-it.html

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

That would mean Trump's support is 4% or more above what pollsters are seeing. That is how the Remains got buried in Britain.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Charlotte NAACP Leader Supports Open Carry, Second Amendment

The President of the Charlotte, North Carolina NAACP, Corine Mack, made statements that should be music to Second Amendment supporters ears. On CNN, she said that the mere fact that someone had a gun should not be enough to allow police to shoot someone.
MACK: At the end of the day, you know, a video may show a different perspective depending on the angle. And so if we don't have many different angles, you may not get the full picture. I think the most important part is the contrast in him having a book versus a gun. But in my mind and in most of the community's mind, it really doesn't matter if he had a gun. At the end of the day, we have the right, under the Second Amendment, to carry here in North Carolina. And their responsibility was to engage him in a more de-escalated way, to find out if he had a permit for his gun and allow him to go on his merry way and he would still be living today. That's not what happened. And so I don't want anyone to walk away from this conversation today thinking that a video showing he had a gun in any way says that he's guilty of anything.
http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2016/09/ch ... -open.html
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I'm quite certain the NRA would agree that the act of carrying a firearm should never be considered a capital offense, to be carried out immediately and without trial.

I've been exposed to some methods of modern police firearms training (at the HALO conference in 2012). A major focus there was training ammo, a non-lethal variety that fires from real firearms, with realistic recoil, but just leaves a mark on padded training clothes. I got a chance to fire off a magazine of this from an M4 on full auto, and go thru a training course shooting dummies with an automatic pistol. Full training is against live subjects, and the cops are learning that real subjects, as opposed to paper silhouette targets, shoot back and often score "lethal" hits. They may be learning to make snap judgements that are quite often tragically incorrect. With all due sympathies to their dilemma, this sort of training would seem to need some refinement.

HALO was fun. I got a chance to fight with an Arizona sheriff. Both of us were smiling and having a good time. And I learned that all those tactical flashlight scenes you see on TV are (as I always suspected) dumb tactics. Don't mount the light on, or hold it to, the firearm. It makes the firearm a target in the dark. The fellow who taught this kept getting his gun and light hit by that practice ammo.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

We called them lipstick rounds; I have fired thousands. The version we used was all 9mm based. The M4s were rekitted barrel/spring/mag for them. Sidearms respringed. Ballistics are ok for CQB, not for beyond. They will also punch through heavy clothes. I had specific kit for that work. It is full of holes. They can also leave nice welts. Basically a souped up version of paintball.

I also fully agree that a citizen should not be presumed guilty simply because they are armed. This is an outgrowth of police training and culture having moved to the Dominate and Intimidate model, over Protect and Serve out of fear (and some personnel psychological issues when they did a lot of recruiting from the low end of the socio-economic-education scale).
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Federal Judge Overturns Ban on Openly Carrying Guns in Public
The ruling also rejects an "assault weapon" ban, caliber restrictions for long guns, a heavy handgun tax, and registration requirements.

In a quintuple victory for Second Amendment rights, a federal judge last week overturned a ban on carrying handguns in public, a ban on so-called assault weapons, caliber restrictions for long guns, a $1,000 tax on handguns, and a requirement that all guns be registered with the government. "The individual right to armed self-defense in case of confrontation...cannot be regulated into oblivion," declared Ramona Manglona, chief judge of the U.S. District Court for the Northern Mariana Islands.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/10/05/feder ... -openly-ca
— Lord Melbourne —

williatw

Post by williatw »

Diogenes wrote:
In a quintuple victory for Second Amendment rights, a federal judge last week overturned a ban on carrying handguns in public, a ban on so-called assault weapons, caliber restrictions for long guns, a $1,000 tax on handguns, and a requirement that all guns be registered with the government. "The individual right to armed self-defense in case of confrontation...cannot be regulated into oblivion," declared Ramona Manglona, chief judge of the U.S. District Court for the Northern Mariana Islands.
Very good day for gun rights advocates; not perfect she did:
By contrast, she upheld the commonwealth's licensing requirement for gun buyers, mainly because it goes beyond federal law by "requiring background checks for all aspiring gun owners," and not just those who purchase their firearms from federally licensed dealers. She also upheld the commonwealth's ban on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, saying it probably would not have much impact on self-defense and might reduce deaths in mass shootings. Manglona in any case had little choice but to uphold that restriction, since the 9th Circuit last year approved an "identical ban" imposed by Sunnyvale, California.
We can live with that I suppose.

On January 26, 2011, President Obama nominated Judge Manglona to the District Court for the Northern Mariana Islands. This is considered an Article I judicial appointment, with a term of ten years, rather than life tenure. The Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing on her nomination on March 16, 2011 and reported her nomination favorably on April 7, 2011.[3] On July 26, 2011, the Senate confirmed her nomination by voice vote and she received her commission on July 29, 2011. However, she did not take her oath of office until July 30, 2011.[4] Her commission will expire on July 28, 2021 at which time her term will end, unless she is reappointed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramona_Vi ... z_Manglona

Bet Obama is a happy camper about his appointment decision right now. Something to be said for an independent judiciary. To bad all federal judgeships including the SCOTUS aren't "Article I judicial appointment, with a term of ten years"; that would improve the federal courts considerably.

williatw

Post by williatw »

If gun-hating Queen Cackle Pants gets elected and gets to pick her SCOTUS appointees you won't be seeing to many of these kind of things happening for very long:

Failed Carjacking Turns Into Shooting In Sioux Falls
We have an update on a crime scene on West 41st Street in Sioux Falls last week.

Traffic near McDonald's, across from the Empire Mall, was temporarily slowed down after a reported shooting in the area.

A lot of Sioux Falls residents were concerned Friday night, after hearing reports of a shooting around 8:30 p.m.

It all started with an elderly couple sitting in their car at the Red Rock Inn.

"The driver's door was cracked slightly. While they were in there, what ends up being our suspect came along and pulled open the door and started punching the man in the head. Telling him to get out. He was trying to take the car," said Sioux Falls Police Officer, Sam Clemens.

What the suspect didn't know was the 71-year-old man he was was hitting over the head was carrying a concealed weapon. The Oklahoma man sitting with his wife took a 38 caliber handgun out of his pocket and shot the suspect twice.

"There's some type of reciprocity so if you're issued a concealed weapons permit in another state, as long as there's that agreement between the states, then you're allowed to carry concealed in a different state," said Clemens.

The carjacking suspect, 34-year-old Edward Leblanc of Bismark, was found near McDonald's on West 41st Street. He will most likely face charges of robbery and simple assault, once he's released from the hospital.

Police say the victim will walk away with nothing more than a few scrapes and bruises.

"In this case it certainly worked out well for the victim. He was able to defend himself and his property. He wasn't trying to chase after the guy or do anything other than just try to stop that beating from happening," said Clemens.

Clemens says the crime was random, and the suspect did not know the victim or his wife.

Leblanc should be released from the hospital in the next day or two, and then will be arrested.

http://www.keloland.com/news/article/ne ... ioux-falls

Caught on Camera: Victim turns the tables on robbery suspect

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A man turns the tables on a group of would-be robbers in Southeast Shelby County and it's all caught on camera.

It all started when a contractor and his brother were hired by a young family to re-do a bathroom.

"I walked up to my truck, cut a piece of wood, turned around and walked back, and that point that's when the one guy walked up here."

James Jones said one guy aimed a shotgun at him, while two other men stood by his side. They demanded his car keys and phone.

"He hopped in the truck, told me to back up and as soon as I got away from this guy's line of sight, I pulled my weapon," said Jones.

That's when his brother, Jeremy, heard the commotion.

"I was in the house working and I heard yelling."

Jeremy was inside finishing up a bathroom remodel on East Holmes Saturday night.

"I walked outside and he's got a gun drawn and there's a guy in his truck and he's yelling 'Put your arms out the window before I shoot you,'" he said.

"He was in the truck, he couldn't go no where."

"I grabbed something on the ground and walked over to the door and told him to get on the ground or he's going to die. He laid on the ground and I tied him up."

The couple inside the home hid in a closet with their 3-year-old son and called 911.

Minutes later, deputies showed up and arrested Brendan Bryant for aggravated robbery, theft of property and drug charges.

The two other robbers he was with got away.

Detectives told the homeowner, the men likely followed her home from Olive Branch where she picked up a pizza. They just weren't expecting to face these two contractors.

"It could have went 100 different ways. I'm glad it went the way it did. It worked out the best for everybody. No one got hurt, everybody is safe."

http://wreg.com/2016/10/17/caught-on-ca ... y-suspect/

williatw

Post by williatw »

Miss Sloane: America Votes “NO” Once Again

“You can’t win them all,” as the old saying goes, but when it comes to the Second Amendment, gun control advocates can’t even come close. Such is clearly the case with Miss Sloane, the latest of Hollywood’s repeated attempts to push a gun control narrative on the American people. Of course, they didn’t see this coming, any more than they saw a Donald Trump victory coming. But that’s because they refuse to acknowledge the basic simple truth about the American people when it comes to our firearms freedom. Well, we’ll say it again, the American people aren’t buying your anti-gun narrative.

Miss Sloane features Jessica Chastain as a Washington lobbyist who takes on “the establishment” to push for passage of gun control in the U.S. Congress. As reported by Stephen Gutowski at freebeacon.com, the “political thriller” opened last weekend to much buzz and fanfare among gun control groups, but tanked completely at the box office, making one industry list of the worst openings of the past 35 years for a movie with a national release.

Incredibly, Gutowski reports that a representative of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence actually said, “… I can tell you that its production alone, with our input, is the success.” In other words, it is of little consequence that nobody wants to see a movie that pushes for gun control, its mere existence is what matters.

This very telling admission provides great insight into the base motive and method of those in the gun control movement and their view of policy-making in the United States. What the American people want is irrelevant, gun control elites know better, and they will continue to push their message through all available means. They certainly have willing accomplices in the media and entertainment industry.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2016121 ... once-again

williatw

Post by williatw »

Ohio: Kasich Signs Critical Self-Defense Bill Into Law!

Monday, December 19, 2016

Today was a Second Amendment victory for law-abiding gun owners as Governor John Kasich signed into law Sub. Senate Bill 199 which will go into effect after 90 days. This important self-defense law is another step forward in protecting the Second Amendment rights of active duty members, employees and law-abiding Ohioans across The Buckeye State.

Sponsored by state Senator Joe Uecker (R-14), Sub. SB 199 will exempt active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces from the concealed carry permit license requirements. The bill will make several important changes in the Concealed Handgun Law regarding a person who is an active duty member of the U.S. armed forces and is carrying a valid military identification card and a certificate issued by the person's applicable service branch indicating that the person has successfully completed small arms qualification (qualifying member of the military).

Sub. SB 199 will also allow an employee to store a firearm in his or her locked vehicle without fear of employer retribution. Throughout the country, many employers have adopted “No Firearms” policies that extend beyond the physical workplace to include employee parking lots – areas often accessible to the general public and not secure. These misguided policies leave employees to choose between protecting themselves during their commutes and be subject to termination by their employers. The fundamental right to self-defense should not stop simply because employees park their cars in publicly accessible parking lots owned by their employers. This bill will correct that problem by prohibiting employers from establishing, maintaining or enforcing such policies.

The amended language from Sub. HB 48, sponsored by state Representative Ron Maag (R-62), will also enhance law-abiding citizens’ right to self-defense by expanding the list of places where citizens can legally carry concealed.

Your NRA-ILA would like to thank the Ohio General Assembly and Governor Kasich for the enactment of this important legislation.

More proof that elections matter...good news for the law abiding gun owners (& CCW holders) of the State of Ohio.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2016121 ... l-into-law

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

williatw wrote:Ohio: Kasich Signs Critical Self-Defense Bill Into Law!

More proof that elections matter...good news for the law abiding gun owners (& CCW holders) of the State of Ohio.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2016121 ... l-into-law

Good for you, though I don't think very highly of Kasich. We'll take it any way we can get it.

Let Freedom ring!
— Lord Melbourne —

williatw

Post by williatw »

How sharpshooter Ayisha Falaq saved brother-in-law from kidnappers

‘When they started shooting, I had to shoot back,’ says national-level markswoman who stopped abductors in Delhi

Ayisha Falaq: ‘The kidnappers maybe didn’t think I could shoot – they were worried about my husband or another man.’

The two kidnappers saw little threat when their victim’s sister-in-law approached their vehicle, fumbling with her handbag.

But what Ayisha Falaq finally produced from the bag was a pistol. Even worse for the kidnappers, the mother of two is a national-grade markswoman.

“I just took my gun and shot them,” says Falaq, 32, who lives in Delhi. “I shot one in his leg, the other in the waist.”

She is being celebrated this week for her courage in helping to stop her brother-in-law’s kidnapping and for incapacitating the men, who were arrested soon after by police.

Falaq’s brother-in-law, Asif, was driving a taxi in northern Delhi on Thursday evening when two customers demanded he hand over his wallet.

Finding only 150 rupees, they beat Asif, a student at Delhi University, then forced him to call his family. “Your brother is with us,” Falaq says the men told them over the phone. “Give us 25,000 rupees, otherwise we will kill him.”

The family called the police and together they took their places at the location where the kidnappers wanted to collect the money.

“We called [one of the kidnappers] and told him we had reached the place, please come and take your money and free our brother,” Falaq says.

Falaq took up shooting in 2011 after her second child was born. Photograph: Monica Tiwari

Suspecting the police had been contacted, the kidnappers abruptly changed the meeting spot. This time, with the police hanging back, Falaq and her family managed to pull up behind the men’s vehicle.

“I came out and showed them the money. I said they could take it, my brother was more precious,” she says.

The suspicious kidnappers tried to flee. But Falaq’s family were ready, she says, using another car to block their escape from the front.

Trapped, “the kidnappers got scared”, Falaq says. “They started screaming to shoot my brother, saying we had cheated them.”

Falaq, who won a bronze medal at a national shooting championship in 2015, says she then saw one of the men begin to load his gun. “I was already outside of my car. I started to take my pistol out of my purse.

“I just wanted to scare them, to show them I had a gun,” she adds. “But when they started shooting at me, I had to shoot back.”

She hit both men, who sustained non-fatal injuries, and although they tried to escape on foot, the police caught up with them quickly.

“I normally shoot targets,” she says. “This time I had to shoot people. But I wasn’t scared. I teach shooting classes and I’m a shooting coach too.”

Asif managed to escape unharmed. “He’s absolutely fine, he’s not injured, the medical tests are all right,” Falaq says.

She was afraid when police seized her gun and vehicle for forensic testing, but after the Indian media picked up her story, she says “everybody is supporting me”.

“The kidnappers maybe didn’t think I could shoot – they were worried about my husband or another man,” she adds.

Falaq took up shooting in 2011, after the birth of her second child, at the encouragement of her husband, also a competitive marksman. “He supported me, he helped me, he coached me, so credit should also go to him,” she says.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... kidnappers

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

This is military, not civilian, but it bears on gun control: hitting what you aim at.

This ups the bar on marksmanship by a whole kilometer.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/22/ca ... ghter.html