New Polywell Reactor Article in Journal of Fusion Energy

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

vahid

New Polywell Reactor Article in Journal of Fusion Energy

Post by vahid »

Engineering Is the Art of Making What You Want from What You Can Get at a Profit. ( MSimon )

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Only the abstract is available without money. It is confusing, mentioning both increasing and decreasing the magnetic field strength to optimize the potential well. I'm guessing it may have something to do with the shape of the potential well and effect on confluence, or not. It also may suggest that there are a lot of subtleties that need to be worked for optimal performance. I will assume that they did achieve optimistic deep potential wells, another source reinforcing this debated issue. I note that the authors names may imply (weak confidence) the study was done in India, of course it also could have been done in California.

It will be interesting if someone reads the entire article and relates it here. It does appear to be theoretical computer modeling, not hard experimentation.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

charliem

Post by charliem »

"the potential well depth increases with decreasing the magnetic intensity" (sic)

That sounds counter-intuitive.

What if we take it to the limit, where B=0? Is then the electric well the deepest? ... ?????

What a pity science publications are still [mostly] pay per view. When are they going to discover [the] Internet?
"The problem is not what we don't know, but what we do know [that] isn't so" (Mark Twain)

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Authors are:

F. Kazemyzade, H. Mahdipoor, A. Bagheri, S. Khademzade, E. Hajiebrahimi, Z. Gheisari, A. Sadighzadeh and V. Damideh

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

They are in Iran.

Damideh apparently has run an continuous fusion experiment at -140KV and 70mA with D-D which produced 2x10^7 Neutrons/sec.
Last edited by ladajo on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

There are other experiments referenced by Noborio, Takamatsu, Tomiyasu and Kurilenkov. Takamatsu apparently has seen a x10 in effeiciency by use of ion sources.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Good find vahid.
Looks like the interest in the Polywell idea is finally expanding.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Betruger wrote:Authors are:...and V. Damideh
Is this you Vahid?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Nice cross-tie DeltaV.

It would certainly seem that Vahid is our Vahid here.

Maybe he will post us his full paper.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Not only the paper I hope. There are a lot of questions to be asked to someone that is actually ruunning a polywell machine.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

If he is running a Polywell. The abstract seems to indicate that they were running a computer simulation.

If he/ they have produced fusion at ~ 10^7 neutrons/ second, it could be from a 'simple' fusor. The best amateur fusioneers are reaching near this level. So, this does not imply an operating Polywell. Even > 10^9 neutrons /s might be obtainable if they have reproduced Hirsch's ion fed fusor from the early 1970's. The U. Wisconson at Madison has tried to do this, their results as of last year were ambiguous. Perhaps if they are presenting at this years conference in Early Dec. they will have expanded results.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

More from Damideh.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/242875/t ... enerations

Good to see the Iranians doing something constructive. I wonder if Rick has seen their paper?

It would certainly be an amusing twist if Iran built a net power Polywell reactor before the US Navy. It would be embarassing in a sort of reverse Pons debacle sense.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

vahid

Post by vahid »

D Tibbets wrote:If he is running a Polywell. The abstract seems to indicate that they were running a computer simulation.

If he/ they have produced fusion at ~ 10^7 neutrons/ second, it could be from a 'simple' fusor. The best amateur fusioneers are reaching near this level. So, this does not imply an operating Polywell. Even > 10^9 neutrons /s might be obtainable if they have reproduced Hirsch's ion fed fusor from the early 1970's. The U. Wisconson at Madison has tried to do this, their results as of last year were ambiguous. Perhaps if they are presenting at this years conference in Early Dec. they will have expanded results.

Dan Tibbets

You are absolutely right about that.
In this study, we didn't do experimental study in connection with Polywell device. Of course we hope to do it in the future.
In this work, we just showed that in Polywell methode; unlike MCF (Tokamaks, et. al.); we don't need to produce very high magnetic field. There is an optimum magnetic field value to produce appropriate potential well depth in a Polywell reactor. If the reactor's magnetic field is more or less than the optimum value, the potential well depth is reduced.
This phenomena can reduce the cost of Polywell reactor.
[/quote]
Engineering Is the Art of Making What You Want from What You Can Get at a Profit. ( MSimon )

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I think I saw a very similar finding somewhere else. Was it from the Sydney work or another PIC sim>>>? Drawing a temporary blank. Hmmm.

Vahid, do you plan on testing a physical polywell configuration in the near future?