Adam Smith and the Invisible hand.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Adam Smith and the Invisible hand.

Post by Diogenes »

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Do you understand yet??

This morning the US Mint has suspended sales of all remaining numismatic gold coin offerings. The move comes as the market price of gold has jump another $35 to nearly $1,890 per ounce. Prior to the suspension, products were priced based on an average gold price in the $1,750 to $1,799.99 range.

http://greenmnts.blogspot.com/2011/08/d ... d-yet.html
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

President Hugo Chavez Moves Venezuelan Gold From US and Europe

...This week, the populist strongman pronounced U.S. and European economic prospects to be too shaky for his tastes. Instead, he’s going to place Venezuela’s gold reserve and other liquid assets in China, Russia, and perhaps even Iran. The gold may be no safer there, but doubtless Chavez feels more comfy dealing with authoritarian countries....source: fox news

http://grantlawrence.blogspot.com/2011/ ... uelan.html
— Lord Melbourne —

ScottL

Re: Adam Smith and the Invisible hand.

Post by ScottL »

You might note that employment stagnated before the tax hike. This tells us that any number of issues could have resulted in the downturn, and the tax hike is only a possibility. BTW, when did you turn into such a propaganda machine? At least before you were giving some semblance of an arguement. Now you just link random pictures, fox news posts (like they aren't biased to hell), and run.

Diogenes

Re: Adam Smith and the Invisible hand.

Post by Diogenes »

ScottL wrote:
You might note that employment stagnated before the tax hike. This tells us that any number of issues could have resulted in the downturn, and the tax hike is only a possibility. BTW, when did you turn into such a propaganda machine? At least before you were giving some semblance of an arguement. Now you just link random pictures, fox news posts (like they aren't biased to hell), and run.

I often find it is a waste of time to attempt reason. Lately i've just felt like dropping data, and people can make of it what they will.
— Lord Melbourne —

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

What you're dropping is incomplete data. I could link graphs/charts pointing out job growth in Texas, but you wouldn't be getting the real picture. The graph would likely not mention that a majority of those jobs are minimum-wage or that they carry no benefits.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

So, you don't think the debate over the tax hike in December has any relation to its enactment in January?

I guess you may be right, there is no correllation, obviously it happened before...

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

There seems a plateau in the data pre and post. Stating it's the tax hike is not conclusive by any means and any researcher worth their weight would agree. For all I know a major employer was going out of business and that's just the point at which they closed their doors for good.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

A convincing argument for sure.

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

ScottL wrote:What you're dropping is incomplete data. I could link graphs/charts pointing out job growth in Texas, but you wouldn't be getting the real picture. The graph would likely not mention that a majority of those jobs are minimum-wage or that they carry no benefits.
Scott, you dont know whether the Il legislature started debating hiking taxes at the beginning of the plateau and only passed it on the date specified.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

In chess you make your move anticipating what your opponent might do. Similarly, a businessman accounts for legislation in progress.

As for the gold data, consistent with a potential confiscation of gold in private hands. Not the first time theftists have done that in preparation for devaluing the dollar.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ScottL wrote:What you're dropping is incomplete data. I could link graphs/charts pointing out job growth in Texas, but you wouldn't be getting the real picture. The graph would likely not mention that a majority of those jobs are minimum-wage or that they carry no benefits.
I see you didn't read the last batch of data I dropped.
— Lord Melbourne —

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Post the entire graph from 2008-2011...the data I'm getting from the U.S. Dept. of Labor and the data you're posting don't match completely and don't show trends.

Post by 93143 »

I don't suppose anyone noticed that that graph is in one-month-long line segments? There's no "plateau" starting before the tax hike; it's just that December and January's numbers were similar. No data available in between.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

D,

If you can mix well reason and emotion you will be a world beater.

Giving up on reason severely weakens your hand.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.