Models Suitable for Display

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

rjaypeters

Models Suitable for Display

Post by rjaypeters »

Giorgio,
I designed the other structure for play, I think the following would look better on your desk.

The eight small rings don't represent actual structure, of course, but are there to unobtrusively hold the six larger rings together. The limitations of the printing process will put gussets between the six larger rings, but until I see the results of that process, I recommend the eight smaller rings.

I could have increased the diameter of the six major rings, but I don't think it looks as good.

An alternative to the eight rings is cut-up spherical plates in approximately the same locations as the eight rings, but I like the rings better.
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Goodness! Shapeways isn't going to give it away! GTE $316!!

http://www.shapeways.com/model/317836/

I'll probably try to reduce the cost by taking more material out of the center of the large rings (the small rings are solid). But that is for another day.

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

And I was wrong. I reduced the wall thickness to just above 2mm (it was above 4mm) and the price changed not at all! Hmmmm.

R. Peters

scalziand

Post by scalziand »

The price for 3d printing is dependent more on the model size than model complexity or the amount of material in the model.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Too right! So I thought I could break it down for customer assembly:

And each ring will run you slightly more than $51, so not much saving there:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/317975/s ... tml?gid=ug

If I were interested, I'd wait for the next version which will have conical pins and holes that don't go all the way through for better appearance. That is what I'd put on my desk. But it's late/early and I hope to sleep some more this morning!

[/hope]Perhaps we could take up a collection and use one of these to bribe somebody to release some data?[/end hope]

R. Peters

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

To be honest I was preferring the other model from a point of view of the pure look.
It was giving more the impression of a "machine" while this one composed only by the coils looks more like a geometric assembly That is unless you are familiar with the polywell).

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Fine with me. I'll scale the "original" up to 15cm and 20cm and we'll see what the costs are.

I don't regard the others as wasted effort because someone else might like them. Perhaps I am too "Passionate for Creating" than is good for me?

R. Peters

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Wasted effort never! I consider all of them significantly beautiful (probably due to my love for the whole polywell idea :)). I just prefer the first model you made.

By the way, do you know i.materialise.com? They are offering also titanium as material of choice now:
http://i.materialise.com/support/materials/titanium

I'll probably have to make a mortgage on the house to manufacture it in titanium, but I am sure that it would look amazing.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Also, I'm going to ask the Shapeways forum for advice on ball-stud snap together techniques to implement on the larger six-coil pieces. I'll stop there unless there is a specific request.

Titanium?! It's strong enough that I might be able reduce the mortgage by thinning the walls OTOH our experience with Shapeways indicates this may not be really useful. I've left the hooks open for people to download the .stl files, so go to imaterialise.com with my blessing.

Does the technology exist to plate titanium on any other material? That would help. We don't always need the actuality, sometimes the appearance is sufficient, you know.

R. Peters

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

The one I carry around to talks is very close in size to WB6. It is constructed from foam wreath cores from a local craft store. These are round-cross-section rings, the perfect form factor.

The one catch is that the cores would be sensitive to spray paint, so I use decoupage goop (basically white glue) to make a coating on the foam that I can paint.

At the moment the model is coupled with nubs (see photos of WB6) made from short lengths of clear vinyl tubing.

It tends to pop apart, so I will typically keep it held together with a little invisible thread around the nub-coupled sections.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

20 cm Atomic Fusion Wibblefall:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/318157/a ... tml?gid=ug

Not available in Black strong-and-flexible!

in Black detail $1650!!
-----
15 cm Atomic Fusion Wibblefall:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/318154/a ... tml?gid=ug

in Black strong-and-flexible: $432!

in Black detail $697

I could try to reduce the prices by reducing wall thickness, but I think we know that won't help much. If anyone can find a less-expensive printer, go with my blessing and use them.

I am tempted to graph the diameter and price relationship.

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Tom Ligon wrote:...so I use decoupage goop (basically white glue) to make a coating on the foam that I can paint.
Does the decoupage goop give the rings enough strength you don't have to worry about crushing them?
Tom Ligon wrote:It tends to pop apart, so I will typically keep it held together with a little invisible thread around the nub-coupled sections.
Do you travel with it assembled?

R. Peters

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Decopage goop does not add strength to them, just makes them accept paint that looks like stainless steel. However, I find white glue is good for repairing them when the rings crack, which has happened several times. The model would be easily crushed, although it usually just springs apart in minor accidents.

The first trip was ISDC in Dallas a few years ago. I broke it down and packed it in a box for the plane trip. It did not go together there as gracefully as I expected. Two rings cracked on the return trip.

All subsequent trips have been tossed in the back of the pickup truck, assembled.

What I really want is to replace the fusor (which pretty much all the East Coast SF crowd has now seen) with a portable Polywell. I wonder how well a small turbopump would travel?

This would be a good role for a WB1 machine, with permanant magnets. Hopeless for fusion, but an easy portable demonstrator.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Tom,
I have used spray acrylic on foam for my kids without issue. As long as you stay with water based, the foam seems to be ok. Many a school project done like that with no issues...

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

I am asking on i.materialise.com, let's see if the price is sensibly different or not.