Aliens don't like global warming?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

kunkmiester

Aliens don't like global warming?

Post by kunkmiester »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/ ... ilisations

Please tell me they're not serious.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

One of the most idiotic articles I ever read.
The sad point is that it will find its good share of supporters/believers.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

That article is a load of nonsense. The Green aliens wouldn't harm a cockroach. No, the ones I'm worried about are the Grammar Nazi aliens. I just hope they don't blame me. Honestly, I've tried to do my part.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I am with Giorgio. What a waste of my time following the link. ARggh.

seedload

Post by seedload »

Literally the plot from "The Day the Earth Stood Still". The new one. Not even the good old one. Amazing.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

"Green" aliens might object to the environmental damage humans have caused on Earth and wipe us out to save the planet.
Unless they are intelligent, motile broccoli stalks who need high levels of CO2. They might be pleased and reward us with advanced technology.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

My wish is for aliens to fortuitously contact Earth and be utterly indifferent to it. Just sail on by.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

DeltaV wrote:
"Green" aliens might object to the environmental damage humans have caused on Earth and wipe us out to save the planet.
Unless they are intelligent, motile broccoli stalks who need high levels of CO2. They might be pleased and reward us with advanced technology.
I think said motile sentient broccoli would "reward" us with advanced weapons technology ... they would show us how effective their weapons are when they attack. We are enslaving large numbers of their non-sentient cousins all over the planet after all.

Just because you can't hear them doesn't mean the broccoli isn't screaming. :D

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

krenshala wrote:I think said motile sentient broccoli would "reward" us with advanced weapons technology ... they would show us how effective their weapons are when they attack.
We need international agreements for a strategic stockpile of cheddar sauce.

Scupperer

Post by Scupperer »

What's really funny is that the research is peer reviewed.
Perrin Ehlinger

TDPerk

Post by TDPerk »

"What's really funny is that the research is peer reviewed."

So's AGW. Lately, if it supports a leftist agenda, peer reviewed means reviewed by people who agree with you.
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

A planet whose industry depends on burning coal is no threat. As long as they see pollution in the atmosphere they know we're too backwards to be dangerous.

Cleaning up the air is the problem. They would assume that means we perfected nuclear, most likely fusion, and will be on our way shortly. The combination of widely scattered radio signal sources in our system and a clean atmosphere is probably the warning bell.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Tom Ligon wrote:A planet whose industry depends on burning coal is no threat. As long as they see pollution in the atmosphere they know we're too backwards to be dangerous.

Cleaning up the air is the problem. They would assume that means we perfected nuclear, most likely fusion, and will be on our way shortly. The combination of widely scattered radio signal sources in our system and a clean atmosphere is probably the warning bell.
And if They are hostile, the beginning of round one ...

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

Tom Ligon wrote:A planet whose industry depends on burning coal is no threat. As long as they see pollution in the atmosphere they know we're too backwards to be dangerous.

Ya, if i was an alien species, I would only look at Earth as a threat if the humans finally got their shit together, developed fusion power, cleaned up their air, and started moving out into space. That would tell me they would be becoming a threat to my species dominance of any nearby star systems we'd colonized, and so before that happened I'd infiltrate Earth and engage in political actions with front groups to stagnate the planet technologically and economically.

JLawson

Post by JLawson »

Betruger wrote:My wish is for aliens to fortuitously contact Earth and be utterly indifferent to it. Just sail on by.
"Mom! I gotta go..."

"Zessldorf, you evacuated your vacuoles less than 20 nerstats ago. You can hold it until we reach the next cluster. We're not stopping at every tourist trap and unoccupied system between here and home"

"But Mom..."

"One more whine out of you, and you'll be squirting in the Oort cloud! Now you can just wait!"

Some things will never change...
When opinion and reality conflict - guess which one is going to win in the long run.