Skynet is coming.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Skynet is coming.

Postby ladajo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:12 pm

I agree that the article was general and unclear in many aspects. Carbonizing for example can be unpacked in multiple ways. For example, how large is the affected area? Pain is also subjective on many levels. Try to unpack that one.

Of note is that this calculator does NOT account for distance and assumes power as that delivered to the surface. So, to get 300kW at the targeted point, how much do you need at the emitter in standard conditions at 1000M? Also, what is your ability to focus that power on the target at that range for the desired delivery diameter?

In any event, there have been and are many claims that have been put on the table, especially by the Chinese and Russians, which are later forgotten quietly, or shown to be bogus. I think this may well be one of them. I don't think it is likely we will see this "weapon" in use any time soon, or probably ever.

While the PLA in general arguably poses a capacity threat, the capability part remains highly suspect IMHO. On another tack, the Russians lack capacity, while having some limited capabilities. Interesting pair they make.

Let's hope we don't have to find out how right or wrong I am. Although, there is a distinct possibility this may come to pass via many possible paths. Those two are playing with fire and don't really know it. They underestimate the building lack of tolerance on the opposing sides of their positions.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ladajo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ladajo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Here is another article talking about the "weapon" from The Drive.

They also are skeptical and discuss how the Chinese article appears to be worded as aspirational vice declarative.

The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

williatw

Postby williatw » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:35 pm

hanelyp

Postby hanelyp » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:10 am

A reasonably sized lithium polymer battery, consumer grade, could deliver a few kW to a one man portable weapon for several minutes. Converting that into useful weapons output is not so trivial.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:58 am

This is a guy (home gamer) that makes his living burning things with lasers, If you listen close to what he is saying you can get a good idea of capablitys and drawbacks od lasing weapons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwYuHqCwXFI

I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:09 pm

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:41 pm

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:06 pm

— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:50 pm

— Lord Melbourne —

krenshala

Postby krenshala » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:12 pm

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:33 am

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:39 am

Maybe the robot overlord are not so bad afterall.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Has anybody yet heard of a self modifying robot that does not go rouge?

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/space-stat ... elligerent :wink:

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:47 am

I think most robots prefer fusia, although rogue is always an option.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:06 pm

:oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am not sure

Return to “General”