Skynet is coming.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

krenshala

Re: Skynet is coming.

Post by krenshala »

A rapid googling of 'dragonfly wing frequency' shows the following at the top of the page:
Our experimental results show that the fundamental natural frequency of dragonfly wings is in the order of 170 Hz when it is clamped at the wing base. The average flapping frequency 27 Hz of dragonflies is about 16% of the fundamental natural frequency.
I didn't actually check deeper than this right now, however, so I don't know how reliable those numbers are.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Is Gen. Selva Right About the Dangers of Killer Robots Unleashed on Humanity?

During testimony before the Senate on Tuesday, Air Force General Paul Selva, the second-highest ranking officer in the U.S. military, expressed his concern about the use of automated weaponry that relies on artificial intelligence to determine when to discharge and what and whom to destroy.

When Senator Gary Peters, D-Mich., asked the general about a Department of Defense directive that keeps humans in control of autonomous weapons systems, Selva warned of "keeping the ethical rules of war in place lest we unleash on humanity a set of robots that we don't know how to control."

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2017/07/2 ... -humanity/
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Researchers shut down AI that invented its own language

An artificial intelligence system being developed at Facebook has created its own language. It developed a system of code words to make communication more efficient. The researchers shut the system down as it prompted concerns we could lose control of AI.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech-and- ... cle/498142

Not so much worried by the machines suddenly getting ambitious as I am the Humans who will control such power in the future.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Welcome to Our Global Censorship and Surveillance Platform
I recently ran into a European counter-terrorism expert who complained that it was getting very difficult to build a fake profile on Facebook. Every time his team tried to set up a fake profile, it was shut down in less than 24 hours. Here's why he ran into problems.
* Facebook has an initiative to prevent the creation fake accounts (something Facebook strangely calls recidivism).

*This initiative is a small part of a larger overall effort being undertaken by Facebook, Google and others, to become what can best be described as fully functional global censorship and surveillance systems. I know that people have been concerned about this for a while, but it's not speculation anymore folks. It's here.

*The surprising thing to me? The US and nearly all of the governments of the world (outside of China and Russia) are pushing them to do it.

http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/glo ... tform.html
— Lord Melbourne —

choff

Skynet sent to Chinese reeducation camp

Post by choff »

S
CHoff

choff

Re: Skynet sent to Chinese reeducation camp

Post by choff »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN1AK0G1

According to posts circulating online, BabyQ, one of the chatbots developed by Chinese firm Turing Robot, had responded to questions on QQ with a simply "no" when asked whether it loved the Communist Party.

In other images of a text conversation online, which Reuters was unable to verify, one user declares: "Long live the Communist Party!" The bot responds: "Do you think such a corrupt and useless political system can live long?"
CHoff

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Quadcopter with sniper rifle or grenade launcher

Duke Robotics announces, TIKAD, a dramatic step forward in protecting our troops by developing the resources needed to fight terrorism effectively today. Tikad is a quadcopter drone with a sniper rifle, grenade launcher and other small arms. Tikad can have a SR-25 marksman rifle made by Knight’s Armament Co.; an M321A grenade launcher; and an M4 rifle.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/08/q ... ncher.html

"Everything is proceeding just as I have foreseen."
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Australia to launch beach-protecting, AI-powered shark drones

The technology, known as SharkSpotter, uses an algorithm to detect sharks in a live video feed recorded in real time by a drone (known as the Little Ripper Livesaver) flying above the water. Using a world-first algorithm, developed using artificial intelligence and deep neural networks, SharkSpotter is able to distinguish sharks from dolphins, rays and other marine animals, and even surfers. Thanks to an onboard megaphone, the drone can also warn swimmers about what's lurking in the water before they've even seen the threat.

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/australia- ... t-beaches/
— Lord Melbourne —

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Wel Come To Ro Bo Bur Ger.
CBS Local — As fast food employees across the U.S. continue to protest for higher wages, a California chain restaurant has decided to hire a new staff member that works for free. The competition for the company’s low-wage workers: a burger-flipping robot named “Flippy.”
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/09/ ... od-burger/

Idiot workers pricing themselves out of the market.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

hanelyp wrote:Wel Come To Ro Bo Bur Ger.
CBS Local — As fast food employees across the U.S. continue to protest for higher wages, a California chain restaurant has decided to hire a new staff member that works for free. The competition for the company’s low-wage workers: a burger-flipping robot named “Flippy.”
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/09/ ... od-burger/

Idiot workers pricing themselves out of the market.
Ut would have happened anyway, business have historically used any measure to cut cost. And nowadays the quality of employee you see at a fast food place leave a lot to be desired. One or two know what they are doing and the rest are just collecting a paycheck wondering if they can call out sick for some excuse. self serve kiosk for ordering are showing up as well and seem to be very popular as well as cheaper to operate. something on the lines of 4-5 cents a minute compared to 14 to19 cents a minute it cost to have an employee.

google humans need not apply
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

The First Drone Strike—in 1944

The program, started in 1942, used cheap-to-make and easy-to-fly twin-engine drones, designated TDR-1s. Drones were a low-priority proposition, built by Interstate Aircraft out of pressed wood (created by piano-maker Wurlitzer) over tubular metal frames (erected by bike-maker Schwinn). Each one had a removable cockpit, so it could be ferried by a human pilot. But it was designed to be flown via radio-control by a pilot in a TBM Avenger torpedo bomber accompanying the drone.

The secret of the TDR-1 was a new form of top-secret technology: an RCA television. A camera mounted in the drone’s nose transmitted images back to a five-inch screen mounted in the Avenger’s rear cockpit. Although the green, high-contrast display was too crude for watching baseball or a movie, it was good enough for spotting ships on the horizon, which made it valuable for the naval war being fought in the Pacific.

https://www.airspacemag.com/military-av ... 180964753/
— Lord Melbourne —

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Germans had them first.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

ladajo wrote:Germans had them first.
The V2, or something else? I'm guessing you are not referring to the V2 in this case.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I was thinking more of the Hs 293, however the Germans had a number of standoff guided weapons in the mix. And yes, Fritz was one of them that saw combat action with success.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)