Skynet is coming.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Re: Skynet is coming.

Post by ladajo »

The next iteration will be an air to air anti-drone model...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:The next iteration will be an air to air anti-drone model...

The battlefield is about to become a very lethal place for human beings, regardless of which side they are on.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I offer that it already is. The world has yet to see two fully modern armies engage each other. What it has seen so far has been pretty one sided.
I point out the difficulty the Russians have and are having in the Ukraine, as well as Georgia, and offer for consideration that they were essentially fighting themselves technology wise. The capabilities fielded were not all that different and in some cases identical to what the U.S. faced in Iraq, twice.
As another data point, consider how much relative free reign the Israeli's exercise when they go after a target.
There are some paper tigers out there.

Now, if there was a real clash between two actual modern forces, then you would see how lethal the modern battlefield really is.
Unmanned systems and all. And again, I point out that autonomous hunter killers have been in the U.S. arsenal for a number of years, if not decades.
What is really scary, is how good the U.S. is in linking it all together...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

williatw

Post by williatw »

Diogenes wrote:
The battlefield is about to become a very lethal place for human beings, regardless of which side they are on.

What about counter-measures to the drones? Say non-nuclear emp pulse weapons:

For example, an e-bomb could effectively neutralize:

•vehicle control systems
•targeting systems, on the ground and on missiles and bombs
•communications systems
•navigation systems
•long and short-range sensor systems

U.S. forces are also highly vulnerable to EMP attack, however. In recent years, the U.S. military has added sophisticated electronics to the full range of its arsenal. This electronic technology is largely built around consumer-grade semiconductor devices, which are highly sensitive to any power surge. More rudimentary vacuum tube technology would actually stand a better chance of surviving an e-bomb attack.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/e-bomb4.htm

Non-nuclear EMP Weapons

http://science.howstuffworks.com/e-bomb3.htm

From 2003 so obviously dated.

The United States most likely has EMP weapons in its arsenal, but it's not clear in what form. Much of the United States' EMP research has involved high power microwaves (HPMs). Reporters have widely speculated that they do exist and that such weapons could be used in a war with Iraq.

Most likely, the United States' HPM e-bombs aren't really bombs at all. They're probably more like super powerful microwave ovens that can generate a concentrated beam of microwave energy. One possibility is the HPM device would be mounted to a cruise missile, disrupting ground targets from above.

If terrorists/insurgents got access to even fairly portable non-nuclear emp devices they could trigger them over a say typical urban battle field effectively neutralizing the drones as well as satellite link data receivers. Pretty much everything that the American "soldier of tomorrow" needs in his Iron man battle gear to be effective. The "insurgent/terrorists" with their circa 1980's third war type AK47's, grenades, IED's, etc., would probably be relatively unaffected.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I consider this Hollywooding.

Given that the U.S. has conducted the most extensive weapons (all types) effectiveness testing in the history of humankind, do you think that nothing has been done with the knowledge gained?

EMP can be a scary monster for those who don't understand it, or prepare for it.
Personally, I am not that scared by it, although it can be a useful tool to spin up useful idiots.

Meh.

williatw

Post by williatw »

ladajo wrote:Given that the U.S. has conducted the most extensive weapons (all types) effectiveness testing in the history of humankind, do you think that nothing has been done with the knowledge gained?
EMP can be a scary monster for those who don't understand it, or prepare for it.

Multi-use non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse drone is an operational system in US air force

Boeing’s “CHAMP,” is short for Counter-electronics High-powered Microwave Advanced Missile Project. It is a non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse weapon. CHAMP carries a small generator that emits microwaves to fry electronics with pinpoint accuracy. It targets not nations or cities but individual buildings, blacking out their electronics rather than blowing up physical targets (or people).

In 2012, Boeing representative was able to boast: “We hit every target we wanted to,” predicting further that “in the near future, this technology may be used to render an enemy’s electronic and data systems useless even before the first troops or aircraft arrive.” Three years later, that future has arrived. Air Force Research Laboratory commander Maj. Gen. Tom Masiello says CHAMP is “an operational system already in our tactical air force.”

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2015/05/m ... netic.html

If we have than the Russians probably have them as well.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

So scary.
Makes you wonder why it is in the news.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Sorry, forgot to mention that the US has many things the Russians do not.

williatw

Post by williatw »

ladajo wrote:Sorry, forgot to mention that the US has many things the Russians do not.
Literally the same exact system the US has, probably not. But there were other links I came across that I didn't post indicating that the Russians (and others) had their versions of non-nuclear EMP generating technology as well. Doesn't seem as if it is that terribly difficult to generate a short range non-nuclear EMP pulse. It would seem likely that drones especially relatively small "swarmbot" type drones would be vulnerable to such technology.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

EMP hardening is not hard.
At the end of the day, it is just RF.

And there are many capabilities that the US has, that Russia does not. I have seen their stuff first hand.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Welcome to Life: the singularity, ruined by lawyers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFe9wiDfb0E
ACK!
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Thppt!

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote: What is really scary, is how good the U.S. is in linking it all together...

Yes. Quite.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

williatw wrote:
Diogenes wrote:

What about counter-measures to the drones? Say non-nuclear emp pulse weapons:

Drones are cheap. Em hardened will come.

williatw wrote:
The United States most likely has EMP weapons in its arsenal, but it's not clear in what form. Much of the United States' EMP research has involved high power microwaves (HPMs). Reporters have widely speculated that they do exist and that such weapons could be used in a war with Iraq.

Most likely, the United States' HPM e-bombs aren't really bombs at all. They're probably more like super powerful microwave ovens that can generate a concentrated beam of microwave energy. One possibility is the HPM device would be mounted to a cruise missile, disrupting ground targets from above.

If terrorists/insurgents got access to even fairly portable non-nuclear emp devices they could trigger them over a say typical urban battle field effectively neutralizing the drones as well as satellite link data receivers.

Bring 10,000 drones to your conflict. Send in the first thousand to wreak havoc. They pop an EM device, you then send in your next 1,000 drones, especially targeting the vicinity of the EM device.

I think perhaps the best defense is to put some EM devices on drones, and fly them into an enemy drone swarm or command and control area.

This could get complicated. :)

williatw wrote: Pretty much everything that the American "soldier of tomorrow" needs in his Iron man battle gear to be effective. The "insurgent/terrorists" with their circa 1980's third war type AK47's, grenades, IED's, etc., would probably be relatively unaffected.

If you haven't seen the movie "Allegiant", you might want to check it out. In it they have futuristic battle suits with built in drone swarms, and they do some pretty clever usage of the drones to multiply their lethality.

— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

The Coming Laser Wars?

Most importantly, lasers could be very cheap. Contemporary missile-defense systems, such as Israel’s Iron Dome or the United States’ GMD antiballistic missile system, are much more expensive than the missiles they are designed to shoot down, making them untenable were they to face mass attacks. The same problem exists at the tactical level when considering how to counter the future threat of weaponized drone swarms: basically large flocks of small, expendable drones designed to overwhelm enemy defenses. While antiaircraft missiles may cost hundreds of thousands of dollars—or millions for antiballistic missile interceptors—the energy consumed by a laser weapon might cost as little as a dollar. For systems hooked up to a power generator, the “ammunition supply” could be virtually unlimited.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-bu ... wars-21401

Knock em down before they get close. Mind your eyes. :)
— Lord Melbourne —