Skynet is coming.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

krenshala

Re: Skynet is coming.

Post by krenshala »

I got the impression from its design that it was meant to replace a guy in a jeep with a turret mounted weapon.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The mount is setup for precison fire at a distance. Vehicle manned mounts are more for suppression fire. If you can move up on a bot, it increases its risk and your safety exponentially. Fast moving things close are very hard for a remote op bot to deal with.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

How fast it can adjust its aim plays a big part on that. The latency on the control loop, assuming its being remotely controlled by a person, plays a big part as well. I've known gamers that, once they get a feel for the latency, can pull off what appear to be crazy feats of accuracy. The number of factors involved, however, make it difficult to tell unless you have accurate specs on it (which, of course, I lack :D )

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Senosr limited, also train rate limited.. not meant for close combat. If you are close it is easy to flank. Especially when working as two fire teams. These types of bots not set up or meant for area defense or suppression.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Making it easier for the machines to mimic us:

Modified rabies virus for mapping neurons
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-01-n ... cuits.html

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

modified rabies virus,! is not this how the omega man movie started?
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

quixote

Post by quixote »

paperburn1 wrote:modified rabies virus,! is not this how the omega man movie started?
Dating yourself. Don't forget I Am Legend and 28 Days Later.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

quixote wrote:
paperburn1 wrote:modified rabies virus,! is not this how the omega man movie started?
Dating yourself. Don't forget I Am Legend and 28 Days Later.

Don't forget "Last man on Earth." That was the predecessor to "Omega Man."

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

I'm going to have to see The Last Man on Earth, not just because its a Vincent Price movie but to compare it to I Am Legend, as both movies are based on teh novel I Am Legend.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Controlling mice* with lasers:
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-02-c ... ement.html
At any point after a mouse began to reach for its food pellet with its right paw, Hantman and his colleagues could abruptly halt the action by switching on the laser that silenced the left motor cortex. "This was a breathtaking thing when we saw it happen in the lab," Hantman says. "As long as the laser was on, the animal was not able to progress its paw forward. It was as if we had achieved a remote control of the mouse."
* Different from controlling cats with lasers.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Humorously enough, about two days after I posted above, I found a four-movie combo pack (one box) in the 5 dollar bin. It has "The Land That Time Forgot", "The People That Time Forgot" (sequel to the previous movie), "Panic In Year Zero" and "The Last Man on Earth". I've not had a chance to watch "The Last Man on Earth" yet, however, as my weekend ended before I had the time to do so.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

krenshala wrote:Humorously enough, about two days after I posted above, I found a four-movie combo pack (one box) in the 5 dollar bin. It has "The Land That Time Forgot", "The People That Time Forgot" (sequel to the previous movie), "Panic In Year Zero" and "The Last Man on Earth". I've not had a chance to watch "The Last Man on Earth" yet, however, as my weekend ended before I had the time to do so.

I liked it. It even felt in some ways more realistic than modern zombie fare. The need to burn and lye corpses for example.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

http://www.vrmmo-project.jp/

Training for skynet http://futurism.com/vrmmo-sword-art-onl ... a-testers/
IN BRIEF

This virtual reality game will be powered by cognitive computing and cloud technology. And they are seeking beta testers.
Enter the Game
Sword Art Online: The Beginning is powered by IBMs cognitive computing system Watson, which made its television debut in Jeopardy! in 2011, where it beat two of the show’s greatest champions, Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings, using a combination of natural language processing and machine learning.

Those selected for beta-testing will be scanned and a 3D model of themselves will be created, which they can then customize to create their in-game avatar.

Meet the Game

Sword Art Online is a young adult manga set in the not too distant future of 2022, when a Virtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG) of the same name was released. In the game, participants put on a helmet called NerveGear, which lets them control their game avatars with their mind.

And oh, and if they die in the game, well, they are really dead.

The good news is, the IBM version of Sword Art Online is no NerveGear. Meaning you don’t need to worry about whether you’ll come out alive when you suffer destruction in-game. SlashGear reports that the Sword Art Online: The Beginning will be made to support Oculus Rift and HTC vibe.
Also unlike in the in-game characters, players of Sword Art Online: The Beginning won’t be using their minds to control their character. Instead, they’ll be using their own body as motion controls for the game.