Go navy!

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

kunkmiester

Postby kunkmiester » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:47 am

I would point out that these things will create quite the shockwave when they hit, so a pile of them coming in will be very discouraging to infantry. At extreme range they'd be an area affect weapon anyway.

Also, these will be packing a bit more energy than a 100mm/5 inch gun, so you don't need so many. The fire rate isn't so much number of rounds on target, but the energy on target. High ROF will do that, but a bigger gun with a bigger "bullet" will too.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

GIThruster
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby GIThruster » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:03 am

US Navy is already shooting their third generation of guided rounds from their 5" guns. This is important when trying to hit a ship, and necessary when trying to hit a tank. The rail guns are not shooting molten anything. The projectile would fly apart if it were molten. They're currently shooting solid block penetrators, which are fine for hitting ships but guided they're much more deadly. And yes, I'm pretty sure the current 5" guns are capable to shoot high explosive rounds against infantry. This is one of the biggest points for a gun that shoots 110 miles--it can be used like artillery without all the logistical support of moving Paladins into a conflict area.

Last I recall we used ships for artillery was in the early 80's in Lebanon, the USS New Jersey kicked as with her 16" monster cannons. I think they had a range of something like 23 miles. During the Lebanese conflict, the New Jersey was criticized for missing it's target at times up to 10,000'. That doesn't happen with modern, guided rounds. Also, IIRC, the current 5" guns have air-burst for anti-aircraft functions. USN might let that go with their missile ability, but I don't see much hope they'd settle for only solid penetrators. They really do need guidance and high explosive functions on a working railgun system.

Also note, the current 5" guns have a fire rate of 20 rounds/minute, so when the Navy says they need 10 rounds/minute from the railguns, they're already counting on more energy on target.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Aero
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Aero » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:57 am

Aero

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:35 am

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:06 am

The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:08 am

The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

Betruger

Postby Betruger » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:45 am

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:48 am

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:24 am

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:34 pm

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:26 pm

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:15 am

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:35 am

williatw

Postby williatw » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:48 am

williatw

Postby williatw » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:17 am

Just found this; Crap! what were they thinking:
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/06 ... r-railgun/
Hope this doesn't stand, but given the defense cuts looming anyway it probably will.

Return to “General”