Go navy!

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

You can argure that. But a Gulf launch would be in concert with other launches. Those othere detects would trigger national response and scrambles.

I don't think they woul dwaste first strike on those types of targets. First stike is traditionally reserved for the reduction of counter-fire assets and C2 (both launch control and National Command Auth. ie. Leadership.)

You would go after the national strategic stuff in round 2. Like cities/infrastructure, etc.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

ladajo wrote:I don't think they woul dwaste first strike on those types of targets. First stike is traditionally reserved for the reduction of counter-fire assets and C2 (both launch control and National Command Auth. ie. Leadership.)
The glut of in-range targets caused me to miss a key one in a C4I vein:

NORAD for CONUS at Tyndall AFB
Co-located with Headquarters First Air Force (Air Forces Northern) at Tyndall AFB, Fla., a Combined Air Operations Center coordinates CONR sector activities and executes the NORAD air sovereignty mission for the continental United States.
What a silly location for that.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

DeltaV wrote:
What a silly location for that.
A sub with six tomahawks equivalents and conventional explosives could disable the US from that location. :!:

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

I should start a new book.
Captain Ulyanov flashed a brief smile as he heard "mission accomplished" over the Spetnaz team's tactical channel. All of the communication links between the American oil platform and the mainland had been quietly and efficiently severed. The team was nearly back at the airlock.

Now, it was Ulyanov's turn. Glancing at the Akula's photonics mast displays of the oil platform and its surroundings, he noted the natural gas burnoff flares, the thick overcast, the calm sea state and the lack of any surface vessels, out to the horizon, in all directions.

The flares would help disguise the Granat boosters' infrared signatures when viewed from orbit through the overcast. The calm sea was also vital, given the much lower than normal cruise altitude of the Granats as they evaded the American radars. Along with the recently developed stealth upgrades and the relatively short distance to the NORAD target, these tactics gave Ulyanov confidence that the Americans would not react in time. He barked an order.

"Number One, confirm rounds in tubes 1 through 4 have mission data set 'Molotov'."

His Exec, expecting the order, replied quickly. "Tubes 1 through 4 mission data 'Molotov' confirmed, Captain."

"Flood tubes 1 through 4. Auto-launch sequence Theta-12."

"Tubes 1 through 4 flooded, Captain," came the reply. "Auto-launch Theta-12 loaded."

The point of no return had been reached. Ulyanov did not hesitate.

"Initiate."
Copyright 2012 DeltaV. All rights reserved.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Yes, that is right.
There are no backups for the (Sarcasm)Nationally Critical(/Sarcasm) Air Sovereignty Mission at Tyndall.
Nuking Tyndall will surely end the fight for the US.
Boy, I really hope that the bad guys don't figure this one out.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Bad guys use Google too.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

ladajo wrote:Yes, that is right.
There are no backups for the (Sarcasm)Nationally Critical(/Sarcasm) Air Sovereignty Mission at Tyndall.
Masoud squinted into the darkness, trying to see the horizon, but failed. He would, as expected, have to rely on instruments all the way to the target. In the age of GPS, however, this was no big deal. The aging Cessna's wings flexed much more than he liked in the turbulence, but he was committed to completing the mission.

For comfort, he ran his hand across the Russian RA-115 'suitcase nuke' strapped into the copilot's seat and recalled the moment that the IRG Commander had recruited him for the mission. The help of the Russians in providing the 'packages' and in facilitating his and others' integration into the Mexican drug cartels had been invaluable.

Now, with imminent American and NATO intervention into the civil war in Syria, Iran's ally, and the threat of an Israeli/American strike against Iran's nuclear facilities, Masoud was more determined than ever to strike a blow at the 'Great Satan'.

The final approval for his and the others' missions had come just after the Russians had disabled the American continental air defense system with a covert, submarine-launched, conventional cruise missile attack. The Americans were scrambling about like beheaded chickens as the Russians denied any involvement. Masoud knew that his unauthorized flight would go undetected. They made a good team, Russia and the IRG. He regretted that he would not be able to work with them in the future, but duty called.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

DeltaV wrote:
ladajo wrote:Yes, that is right.
Masoud squinted into the darkness, trying to see the horizon, but failed. He would, as expected, have to rely on instruments all the way to the target. In the age of GPS, however, this was no big deal. The aging Cessna's wings flexed much more than he liked in the turbulence, but he was committed to completing the mission.

For comfort, he ran his hand across the Russian RA-115 'suitcase nuke' strapped into the copilot's seat and recalled the moment that the IRG Commander had recruited him for the mission. The help of the Russians in providing the 'packages' and in facilitating his and others' integration into the Mexican drug cartels had been invaluable.

Now, with imminent American and NATO intervention into the civil war in Syria, Iran's ally, and the threat of an Israeli/American strike against Iran's nuclear facilities, Masoud was more determined than ever to strike a blow at the 'Great Satan'.

The final approval for his and the others' missions had come just after the Russians had disabled the American continental air defense system with a covert, submarine-launched, conventional cruise missile attack. The Americans were scrambling about like beheaded chickens as the Russians denied any involvement. Masoud knew that his unauthorized flight would go undetected. They made a good team, Russia and the IRG. He regretted that he would not be able to work with them in the future, but duty called.
One sub with cruise missiles aimed at key points in the "765 highway" could black out the east coast for weeks. some areas out for months. Could you Imagine the chaos if New york has no power for one week. A fitting punishment for the "great satan" :twisted:

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Not as bad as you think.
Turns out lots of folks/sites have generators. They have learned the lessons of strorms/whatnot taking out power for days at a shot.

The bigger problem would be once the fuel runs out/low.

Now if you EMP'd the east coast, that may be a different story. We are not hard yet. Getting there, but not yet.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Diogenes

Re: Go navy!

Post by Diogenes »

Navy to deploy lasers on ships in 2014

Navy officials announced Monday that in early 2014, a solid-state laser prototype will be mounted to the fantail of the USS Ponce and sent to the 5th fleet region in the Middle East for real-world experience.
Navy researches say so far the laser is 12 for 12 in testing, destroying its targets 100 percent of the time. Officials who briefed the press on the laser gun -- which the Navy calls a "directed energy pulse weapon" -- say it has non-lethal functions too, and may be used to send warning signals to other vessels.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/04/08/ ... z2Q1cdf1sY
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

This thing is great for smaller targets. Or if you want to roast a chicken on the other guy's Bridge.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

You mean sailors shoot sea gulls out of the air with these things? Knew there was a reason to expedite their deployment.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Given that it is an optical/thermal sighting sytem, why yes, yes you can.

The is also a variant that runs on radar feed.
They have talked about merging it with a CWIS or CRAM mount. There has also been talk of slaving one to a Robo-gun Stabilized Chain Gun.

Lots of fun to be had for sure.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Looks like 4+ seconds to burn metal. Given how fast some craft can cross the horizon, that's not terrible but we have to hope for higher power before this is a much feared system. Against low flying, slow moving objects, great. Against faster targets I think we need to rely on other means for some time.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/228650951300 ... =obnetwork

Cool vid though.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis