Obama Makes Jimmy Carter Look Good

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

As far as I can tell, the closest he got to living in CT was when he was at Columbia, and then worked in Manhattan just after graduation. But, it would seem that he lived in NY, not CT.
So how do you get a CT Social, when you do not live there?
Does anyone know when his Social was registered to him?

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:As far as I can tell, the closest he got to living in CT was when he was at Columbia, and then worked in Manhattan just after graduation. But, it would seem that he lived in NY, not CT.
So how do you get a CT Social, when you do not live there?
Does anyone know when his Social was registered to him?

The article says it was registered to him AFTER 1977. He would have been 16 years old.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

That is strange.
I'll have to check the Selective Service Act, but I believe that you either have to have a Social by age 18, or take a registration number, or both. So how did he end up with a CT Social? The only thing I can think of is that he took it when at Columbia to support a job upon graduating. But how does that square with living in NY, and being past age 18...?
Hmmm. More questions.

Jccarlton

Post by Jccarlton »

While this is interesting, the best explanation I can think of is that the SSN was issued to the company that Obama's stepfather worked, probably because Obama received some stock as a gift and need to have tax no. teh company offices were likely in CT. I got my under similar circumstanses, but since I lived in the US my SSN is from a state that I haven't lived in since I four years old.

JLawson

Post by JLawson »

Jccarlton wrote:While this is interesting, the best explanation I can think of is that the SSN was issued to the company that Obama's stepfather worked, probably because Obama received some stock as a gift and need to have tax no. teh company offices were likely in CT. I got my under similar circumstanses, but since I lived in the US my SSN is from a state that I haven't lived in since I four years old.
The SSN was issued to a company? First time I've heard of that...
When opinion and reality conflict - guess which one is going to win in the long run.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Jccarlton wrote:While this is interesting, the best explanation I can think of is that the SSN was issued to the company that Obama's stepfather worked, probably because Obama received some stock as a gift and need to have tax no. teh company offices were likely in CT. I got my under similar circumstanses, but since I lived in the US my SSN is from a state that I haven't lived in since I four years old.

What step father would this be? Didn't Stanley Ann Divorce Lolo Soetoro in 1972? In 1977, I think Stanley Ann was single.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

imaginatium

Re: Obama Makes Jimmy Carter Look Good

Post by imaginatium »

Jccarlton wrote:Obama is starting to make Jimmy Carter look good. Also Bernanke is an idiot:
http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2011/02/ ... es_fortune
I went through this once in the '70s. I never thought that anybody would ever be so stupid to think that inflation is anything other than stone cold misery. I was wrong.
Just about anyone in politics makes Jimmy Carter look good. Jimmy Carter is a man of great honesty, integrity, and compassion, and is one of the finest human beings I've had the privilege of knowing. It's not a persons politics that makes him great, it's his character.

Being compared to Carter is a compliment. And Obama would be proud to be compared to Carter, whether he deserves it or not.
Imaginatium (ih-ma-juh-ney-tee-uhm) -noun
Ubiquitous substance, frequently used as a substitute for unobtainium, when it is unavailable. Suitable for all purposes.

seedload

Post by seedload »

imaginatium wrote:Just about anyone in politics makes Jimmy Carter look good. Jimmy Carter is a man of great honesty, integrity, and compassion, and is one of the finest human beings I've had the privilege of knowing. It's not a persons politics that makes him great, it's his character.

Being compared to Carter is a compliment. And Obama would be proud to be compared to Carter, whether he deserves it or not.
I agree, President Carter has great integrity and compassion - he is a genuinely good man. At least that is my impression. Wish I could have the same privilege of knowing him that you do. I am sure we would have much to debate, and he would probably soundly pound me. He would be wrong, but he would probably win the conversation:) Anyway, I am always a bit bothered by people who attack Carter, because it always seems a bit too personal. So bravo to you for speaking up.

But, sadly, he was just not a very good president at all. Maybe too much integrity. Maybe too much intractable ideology in the face of too much opposition. I don't know. Probably the wrong ideology for the times. Just not the right man for the job, sorry.

Obama suffers from this too, minus the character.

Just my two cents.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

seedload wrote:But, sadly, he was just not a very good president at all. Maybe too much integrity. Maybe too much intractable ideology in the face of too much opposition. I don't know. Probably the wrong ideology for the times. Just not the right man for the job, sorry.
Too much integrity? To be the President of the United States? I thought integrity was a qualification. Naive me.

Please remember who the previously elected President was before Carter. At least candidate Carter admitted his faults. Part of the reason President Carter was elected was to "restore honor to the Presidency." Where have I heard _that_ phrase before?
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Also remember the incident of the embassy hostages in Tehran. The whole time President Carter was saying there were no military solutions being considered by his administration, the military was planning a rescue. How's that for too much integrity?

The failure of the rescue is another story. Are we going to blame President Carter for that? Yes, in part because his budget cuts hurt the readiness of the forces used for the rescue.
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Budget cuts did not doom the rescue.
Lack of Joint Interoperability, lack of depth and redundancy in the plan, and going "a bridge to far" doomed the plan.
That was an extreme stretch of the string to pull off. And guess what, the string broke. Carter had nothing to do with it. They were already at abort criteria when the accident happened.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:Budget cuts did not doom the rescue.
Lack of Joint Interoperability, lack of depth and redundancy in the plan, and going "a bridge to far" doomed the plan.
That was an extreme stretch of the string to pull off. And guess what, the string broke. Carter had nothing to do with it. They were already at abort criteria when the accident happened.

They were at abort criteria before they even attempted the plan. Carter refused to send the requisite quantity of resources to do the job because he wanted to keep our presence low. This is otherwise known as "pussyfooting" around.
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

imaginatium wrote:
Jccarlton wrote:Obama is starting to make Jimmy Carter look good. Also Bernanke is an idiot:
http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2011/02/ ... es_fortune
I went through this once in the '70s. I never thought that anybody would ever be so stupid to think that inflation is anything other than stone cold misery. I was wrong.
Just about anyone in politics makes Jimmy Carter look good. Jimmy Carter is a man of great honesty, integrity, and compassion, and is one of the finest human beings I've had the privilege of knowing. It's not a persons politics that makes him great, it's his character.

That is not what his Secret Service agents said about him. They said he was pompous, arrogant, condescending, deceitful and a real jerk to work for.

There is also an accusation that he attempted to force a Georgian Management company on the Shah of Iran, which the Shah rejected, resulting in the animosity between Jimmy and The Shah, resulting in Jimmy doing everything he could to undermine the Shah.

I cannot emphasize this enough. Jimmy's hapless dealings with the Shah, are responsible for the deaths of millions of people, and may likely be responsible for the deaths of millions more.

My friend, I think there is perhaps an entire world of Jimmy Carter ineptitude (at best) that would be opened up for you if you choose to explore it. Till Obama, he was the WORST PRESIDENT in History!

I know Officers which were stationed in Iran who curse his name to this very day.
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

“The Carters were the biggest liars in the world,” one agent told Kessler of the Carter era. "

http://www.northstarnational.com/2009/1 ... residents/
— Lord Melbourne —

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

too many threads created by tea-partiers to bash the democrats here. I guess we need a thread making fun of Sarah Palin, the leader of the tea-partiers.