We are Doomed! DOOOOOMMED I say!

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Marc Faber: "I Buy Gold, I Don't Know What Else To Buy"

http://reason.com/blog/2010/06/17/pay-t ... n-really-s

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

The 10 signs the Obama Depression has only just begun

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... -just.html

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

What's Ben Gonna Do?

That said, should you see this headline buy lots of canned food and rice. If this step is implemented bread lines will follow.
I can now state the proposed solution: Reduce the return to holding money below zero. Imagine that the Fed were to announce that it would pick a digit from 0 to 9 out of a hat. All currency with a serial number ending in that digit would no longer be legal tender. Suddenly, the expected return to holding currency would become negative 10 percent.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/whats-ben-gonna-do

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.
Marcus Tullius Cicero, 88 B.C.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Diogenes wrote:The 10 signs the Obama Depression has only just begun

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... -just.html
OK. I know this guy is a nut when he talks about our disappearing manufacturing base. I wonder why he didn't follow that up with a lament about our disappeared agricultural base.

The manufacturing base is still there. What is not there is jobs. Who has the jobs? Machines.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

DOOOOOOOMMEED! I SSAAAAYYY!

Recent fiscal tightening will hasten the speed of our descent into this quagmire. The market reaction to the acknowledgement of that fact is likely to be unprecedented in its savagery. The response to the coming deflationary maelstrom will be additional money printing that will make the recent QE seem insignificant. The super-inflationary end result will become obvious to all.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2010/06 ... quicksand/

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote:
If it is truly genetic, as many scientists are suspecting, then you are as wrong as you can be about this.
I have not heard or seen any evidence for a religion gene. What chromosome is that supposed to be in?
MirariNefas wrote:
What, the epigenetic religious methylation profile? Or the religious haplotype?

Hmm.... I'm liking it. That could work.

But genetic tendencies toward "spirituality" or even just gullability don't guarantee the success of any given viral meme. Memes mutate and evolve as their environment changes. If the environment changes so much that transmission is completely inhibited, they die. Doesn't seem to happen often though, so I don't expect it's easy to predict.

Thought you fellows might be slightly interested in this article.

How our species owes its success to religion
n order to survive amid scarce resources and harsh conditions, our ancestors developed complex social structures. These were facilitated by social rituals - which required brains with increased working memory that in turn paved the way for symbolic thought. Nature began selecting for imaginative children because they were better suited to navigating complex social relationships as adults. Their imaginary friends carried over into adulthood in the form of gods and spirits who watched over them and participated in social interactions.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/cultu ... igion.html

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

This is why I no longer read New Scientist. It's been pandering to ludicrous nonsense like this for many years now. Both AGW and the religion bashing. . .and a disturbing lack of credibility in so many other ways that it's a wonder people read the rag anymore.

Honestly, out of all the sorts of religion bashing I've ever seen, this is about the most transparent and stupid I've ever seen. Only in the World Futurist rag and at New Scientist can you find this level of foolishness parading as wisdom.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

The Dog ate my homework!

No US Federal Budget this year. No GDP data either. They both show very unpleasant news, and therefore need to go away.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/us-gdp ... department

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

GIThruster wrote:This is why I no longer read New Scientist. It's been pandering to ludicrous nonsense like this for many years now. Both AGW and the religion bashing. . .and a disturbing lack of credibility in so many other ways that it's a wonder people read the rag anymore.

Honestly, out of all the sorts of religion bashing I've ever seen, this is about the most transparent and stupid I've ever seen. Only in the World Futurist rag and at New Scientist can you find this level of foolishness parading as wisdom.

I used to have a subscription to "New Scientist" but as you noticed, it is often full of anti-religious commentary and I just decided it didn't need any support from me. I was actually surprised they ran this article. They are also, ( as you mentioned) full of Global warming gas, and they unceasingly release it every time they opine on the topic.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

RBS tells clients to prepare for 'monster' money-printing by the Federal Reserve
Andrew Roberts, credit chief at RBS, is advising clients to read the Bernanke text very closely because the Fed is soon going to have to the pull the lever on "monster" quantitative easing (QE)".

"We cannot stress enough how strongly we believe that a cliff-edge may be around the corner, for the global banking system (particularly in Europe) and for the global economy. Think the unthinkable," he said in a note to investors.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comm ... serve.html

JLawson

Post by JLawson »

I think, given the choice between a FUBAR crash of the world's economy through massive intervention, and making it through the crisis with little to no intervention by governmental agencies -

The governments wouldn't be able to keep themselves from running the bus off the cliff.

It's kind of like a little kid being presented with a large, intricate machine with all sorts of gears and levers in constant motion. You can tell the kid the gears will pinch off a hand, that it's not safe at all to stick anything into the machinery, and he won't be able to resist it even knowing what the result will be. A little kid doesn't have the self-control to be safe around stuff like that.

I'm thinking governments don't have the self control to be messing with the world financial systems. There's just too many things that they see as being worth touching, and the attraction is irresistable.
When opinion and reality conflict - guess which one is going to win in the long run.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

It's kind of like a little kid being presented with a large, intricate machine with all sorts of gears and levers in constant motion.
I had one of those when I was 6. My dad bought me a wind up toy train set. Well I had to see what was inside so I got out the screwdrivers and took it apart. Everything. And couldn't put it back together. My dad was amused. Such a gifted child.

My dad asked if I would do it again. I promised I wouldn't. But you know what happened - another pile of gears and pinions and misc. parts. Dad decided I'd had enough.

Well all this was tried before (1933 - '41) and it didn't work. It was only when FDR and the Ds took their boots off business for war production that things got going again. And so here we are with o and the Ds doing it again.

No more toy trains for you guys.

If Bernake inflates and there is no confidence in the government/economy all that will happen is a paying down of debt with the new paper.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

DavidWillard wrote:
Diogenes wrote:The Dog ate my homework!

No US Federal Budget this year. No GDP data either. They both show very unpleasant news, and therefore need to go away.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/us-gdp ... department
Yeah, just kill the old US government with a stroke of a pen and start a new one using the Constitution as a template, keep ALL of the rules and laws. What debt? oh, you are talking about the old government , this is the new government..... didn't some Third World countries pull that trick?

Luckily the US won't respond in kind and take it back like some despots have before, and have recently done.

We are not doomed, but there has to be a re-accounting and a push forward to be better than the rest.

I still hope that there are folks and the powers that be to do the hard thing and not take the easy way out.

You're kidding right? The Powers that be have ALWAYS taken the easy way out. That's why we're in the mess we're in. Nobody was responsible
enough to say NO! to people demanding government money.

DavidWillard wrote: If it collapses, time to go to someplace where they do the right thing and it's hard. I'll pick up a shovel and help.

Considering that some of the money went for throwing a party in the Whitehouse every other day since inauguration, a two million dollar "Date Night" in New York, and since some of the money paid for $100.00/ lb Wagu Beef imported from Japan, to pay for abortions in foreign countries, and since most of the money went to pay armies of parasites to engorge themselves ever more on the blood and toil of the productive people in society, I agree that the right thing to do is pick up a shovel.

Shovel, Pitchforks, Torches, whatever.... and beat the living dog snot out of those people who were the enablers of the parasites!

With Shovels, we can dig up Tip O'Neal and Ted Kennedy, and then we can hang them! After all, if it was good enough for Cromwell, it is good enough for those two. :)

Seriously, in my opinion, those people who advocated these ideas should pay for these ideas. I am in favor of 100% confiscation of the assets of any person advocating higher taxes and unconstitutional government spending. The Kennedy family should be impoverished, as should virtually everyone working in Hollywood and liberal Media. They can more appreciate the plight of the poor when they are themselves poor.

That would be a start.