A good Post On the Deepwater Horizon Accident

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Jccarlton

A good Post On the Deepwater Horizon Accident

Post by Jccarlton »

A very good post from Watts Up with pics and commentary.:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/05/01/t ... more-19096

Oil drilling is a dangerous business.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

even more dangerous when there are less regulations and safety devices (because of costs and lobby in the US congress). Why havent such disasters happened in Brazil and Norway?

Josh Cryer

Post by Josh Cryer »

Whistleblowers are already coming out. They were cutting corners. There are many rigs were corners are being cut. Profit over safe engineering, baby.
Science is what we have learned about how not to fool ourselves about the way the world is.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Josh Cryer wrote:Whistleblowers are already coming out. They were cutting corners. There are many rigs were corners are being cut. Profit over safe engineering, baby.
The timing is suspicious. The people who benefit from this are the eco terrorists.

Helius

Post by Helius »

Diogenes wrote:
Josh Cryer wrote:Whistleblowers are already coming out. They were cutting corners. There are many rigs were corners are being cut. Profit over safe engineering, baby.
The timing is suspicious. The people who benefit from this are the eco terrorists.
Who are the eco-terrorists in this case? The advocates of drilling through a mile of water before even reaching mississippi muck, or the ones that know that fossil energy should be at an end?

If we can't do fusion now, we should be doing advanced fission to produce prodigious energy. We can let economics provide the impetus for figuring how prodigious energy can be translated to liquid fuels.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Helius wrote:
Diogenes wrote:

Who are the eco-terrorists in this case? The advocates of drilling through a mile of water before even reaching mississippi muck, or the ones that know that fossil energy should be at an end?

The eco-terrorists are the people who commit acts of terrorism and sabotage in misguided attempts to further their beliefs.

Examples include driving steel spikes into trees to thwart loggers by damaging their chainsaws and/or injuring the loggers, burning down buildings and car dealerships to destroy individual businesses and send a "message" to others, and sabotaging equipment and material in the hopes of provoking an ecological disaster to push their agenda in the media and congress. (ReichStag fire gambit)

As for the people drilling into the muck, the guys actually doing the work are just trying to make a living, and the company they are working for is trying to make a profit, and incidentally, supply a commodity which is in high demand, and the lack of domestic production of which fuels the war machine of Insane Iran.

Helius wrote:[
If we can't do fusion now, we should be doing advanced fission to produce prodigious energy. We can let economics provide the impetus for figuring how prodigious energy can be translated to liquid fuels.

Love fusion and the promise of energy it would produce, however it's not ready. Till then, people still have to work, and they still have to eat. The World runs on that oil stuff for the foreseeable future.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Let me preface this post by saying that I think this article is Bullshit, but it just goes to show that others are thinking that this might have been deliberate. Several of the commenters are proclaiming the article to be a hoax as well.

"http://www.eutimes.net/2010/05/us-order ... o-oil-rig/"

That's the trouble with the internet. Too many people pushing lies. Makes it hard to figure out what is true sometimes.

Edit: I put the link in quotes. It has some peculiar behavior that I didn't like. Look at at your own risk.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I would be VERY surprised to see that a North Korean submaine made it all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. Maybe Chavez provided services during the trans-atlantic phase with his secret T-AKO. Oh, even better, it was shipped in pieces in clandestine shipping containers via the panama canal, and re-assembled in Venezuela for the mission. And it even made a stop at the secret underwater EMC2 lab for replenishment and stores. Oh, wait, that was in the eastern atlantic. Darn it, it must have come over the north pole, or was it under the south pole???
Ooooh, some many possibilities, we should have seen it coming. Those pesky North Korean's, always outsmarting us...

:D

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

So the North Koreans would achieve exactly what by torpedoing an (one) oil rig?
Those things usually blow up all by themselves.
It is much more likely that lack of maintenance and greed resulted in this.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

Diogenes wrote:
gee, just cut the ultra right wing crap, will you?

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

To summarize what I've read:

- The well had been sealed with a temporary cement plug. Said plug had passed a pressure test.
- The riser up to the drilling rig was being purged of drilling mud to prepare for detaching the riser and moving the drilling rig. This would greatly reduce the hydrostatic pressure on the wellhead.
- During this there was a sudden surge and none of the attempts to activate the Blow Out Preventer (BOP) worked.
- Attempts to activate the BOP with an ROV also didn't work.
- The BOP as on a dead man activation system and should have activated on loss of signal or hydraulics from the drilling platform.
- The BOP was tested not too long before and passed.

All evidence I've seen in consistent with the cement plug failing and debris damaging or jamming the BOP.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:I would be VERY surprised to see that a North Korean submaine made it all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. Maybe Chavez provided services during the trans-atlantic phase with his secret T-AKO. Oh, even better, it was shipped in pieces in clandestine shipping containers via the panama canal, and re-assembled in Venezuela for the mission. And it even made a stop at the secret underwater EMC2 lab for replenishment and stores. Oh, wait, that was in the eastern atlantic. Darn it, it must have come over the north pole, or was it under the south pole???
Ooooh, some many possibilities, we should have seen it coming. Those pesky North Korean's, always outsmarting us...

:D
The article says the attack was carried out by a ship leaving a cuban port. The article asserts that the ship deployed two mini-subs with torpedoes. Don't be frightened. Copy and past the link. :)

It's a far fetched, but perhaps possible theory. If nothing else, it's good for comic relief.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote:So the North Koreans would achieve exactly what by torpedoing an (one) oil rig?
What do they achieve by blowing a South Korean warship in two?

Skipjack wrote: Those things usually blow up all by themselves.

Really? This happens a lot or are you just blowing smoke? It is a relatively rare event, and rarer still that the damage should be so extensive.

Skipjack wrote: It is much more likely that lack of maintenance and greed resulted in this.
Greed is what makes the world go around. It is what makes society function. It is innate and natural, and has been maligned as a force of evil, when in fact it is a force for good.

Since you know so much about what maintenance the rig lacked, perhaps you could inform the rest of us as to exactly what went wrong?

While you're at it, perhaps you could explain why the blowout preventer didn't work?

Years ago, I worked in the Oil Field, and i've helped set up rigs and helped install blowout preventers. The one's we used weren't even owned by the company. They were rented by a different company that leases oil field tools, and delivers the tools on site after they have been inspected and tested and cleaned. (Thats ALL the tool company does. They make their LIVING insuring functional tools.)

Why they would use less stringent methods on a deep sea rig I couldn't begin to fathom.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

AcesHigh wrote:
Diogenes wrote:
gee, just cut the ultra right wing crap, will you?

No complaint about the left wing crap i. e. "cutting corners" and "profit over safe engineering, baby" ?

Blow it out your BOP.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Greed is a single word for too many different flavors of the same thing. There's good and bad greed; I reckon Skipjack meant the latter. Foolish, excessive greed. Not greed the force multiplier.