19,000 members

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

zbarlici

19,000 members

Post by zbarlici »

As of March 29, 2010, thereare over nineteen thousand members on talk-polywell; thats a lot of sideline cheering, Mr. Nebel. :)
Last edited by zbarlici on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

heh, something funny going on here... a LOT of the members recently joined have their website set to advertise some product/service. What is going on here, sophisticated bots making memberships wherever they can? If so, is there any way around this?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

zbarlici wrote:heh, something funny going on here... a LOT of the members recently joined have their website set to advertise some product/service. What is going on here, sophisticated bots making memberships wherever they can? If so, is there any way around this?
That has been going on for a long time.

I have a method for sampling (I'm not telling) and I'd estimate about 1,000 active readers in any 24 hour period (-50% / +100% - just like some capacitor specs).

There has also been unusual activity in members who have not been active and want to get re-activated (they send me e-mails).
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

so what is the # of unactive accounts(that requires reactivating)? ~17,000?(thats crazy)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

zbarlici wrote:so what is the # of unactive accounts(that requires reactivating)? ~17,000?(thats crazy)
Not everyone that signs up gets activated. A lot just fill out forms in the hopes of spamming the board. Joe doesn't take the time to weed them out of the list.

Before the new system moderating was way more exciting. Lots of very hard core sex spam on the board.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

olivier

Post by olivier »

Wow! I couldn't imagine that.
"And I was in the 1st percent to join." shall I tell my grandchildren when I am old and IEC is a success. They will get bored for sure.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

any info about how many of them are non-americans, like myself?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

AcesHigh wrote:any info about how many of them are non-americans, like myself?
The Brit to American ratio is rather high. I'd say somewhere between 10% and 20% Brits. And Ozzies are represented. Our one (that I know of) female poster - Polygirl - is an Ozzie. And of course some Canadians are in the mix.

The European contingent is rather well represented.

But with no accurate way of telling it is just a WAG.

From what I can tell - the Polywell excitement is Basically an Anglosphere and European phenomenon.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

MSimon wrote:From what I can tell - the Polywell excitement is Basically an Anglosphere and European phenomenon.
Language is a strong barrier.
Even among the educated professionals there are not many that are able to follow or discuss about advanced subjects in English, and the one who can are normally too busy with their work/activity/experiments.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

I know in the old days a lot of spam accounts were created. Haven't looked recently.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...