Tax The Rich, Kill Your Paycheck

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Carl White wrote:
MSimon wrote:So what does that mean? Prices rise until an object of desire is just barely affordable. You want more disposable income? Live in a smaller house.
That can be hard to do actually, at least in some places. The developers are all set on building closely-packed McMansions instead of cottages. And the older small houses sell for high prices too due to large yards and location.
Yes. But the fact is that prices rise to a level that sucks up all the available cash. Supply and demand does that.

Of course housing is cheap in Rockford. And jobs are scarce. See above.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

MSimon wrote:
Carl White wrote:
MSimon wrote:So what does that mean? Prices rise until an object of desire is just barely affordable. You want more disposable income? Live in a smaller house.
That can be hard to do actually, at least in some places. The developers are all set on building closely-packed McMansions instead of cottages. And the older small houses sell for high prices too due to large yards and location.
Yes. But the fact is that prices rise to a level that sucks up all the available cash. Supply and demand does that.

Of course housing is cheap in Rockford. And jobs are scarce. See above.
Right, but my point is that telling someone to live in a smaller house isn't necessarily useful advice.

It might be more to the point to advise them to share a house with another family and thereby share the costs.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

It might be more to the point to advise them to share a house with another family and thereby share the costs.
That might be more workable if there weren't laws on the books preventing more than x number of unrelated folks from cohabiting in an undivided residence.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

That might be more workable if there weren't laws on the books preventing more than x number of unrelated folks from cohabiting in an undivided residence.
Now that is an interesting law. We do not have such a law in Austria. I know lots of people, students mostly, who live in a so called WG, Wohngemeinschaft. That means they share an apartment instead of living in a student dorm. Sharing an apartment can still be a lot nicer than that.
Nothing for me, I always made sure to have my own place, but some people here do that.
So, I think that this law is interesting.

mad_derek

Post by mad_derek »

Skipjack wrote:
Now that is an interesting law. We do not have such a law in Austria. I know lots of people, students mostly, who live in a so called WG, Wohngemeinschaft. That means they share an apartment instead of living in a student dorm. Sharing an apartment can still be a lot nicer than that.
Nothing for me, I always made sure to have my own place, but some people here do that.
So, I think that this law is interesting.
Well, there's one in the UK: it doesn't actually prevent more than x (where x is four at present I believe) unrelated people sharing a single unit of accomodation but it does impose license conditions. The law was enacted to stop people housing work gangs of (often) illegal immigrants 20 or more up in a standard 3 bedroomed house. Of course it doesn't actually matter very much because it only affects people who obey the law i.e. not people who have illegal work gangs of immigrants.
Insanity Rules!