Waist deep in AGW

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

seedload

Waist deep in AGW

Post by seedload »

I am waist deep in AGW, my back is killing me, and there is another 18 inches of AGW on the way. I know, I know, weather is not climate, but I don't think you can convince my back of it.

Aero

Re: Waist deep in AGW

Post by Aero »

seedload wrote:I am waist deep in AGW, my back is killing me, and there is another 18 inches of AGW on the way. I know, I know, weather is not climate, but I don't think you can convince my back of it.
Lucky you. You are getting instructed in AGW up close and personal. Me, I'm only knee deep in the stuff so I can still kind of step over the ..it, shovel in hand of course to aid in the debate.

I didn't realize we were due another ice age in my lifetime.
Aero

MSimon

Re: Waist deep in AGW

Post by MSimon »

Aero wrote:
seedload wrote:I am waist deep in AGW, my back is killing me, and there is another 18 inches of AGW on the way. I know, I know, weather is not climate, but I don't think you can convince my back of it.
Lucky you. You are getting instructed in AGW up close and personal. Me, I'm only knee deep in the stuff so I can still kind of step over the ..it, shovel in hand of course to aid in the debate.

I didn't realize we were due another ice age in my lifetime.
We just got a nice dusting. A couple of inches.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

I'm never quite sure about this 'weather' and 'climate' differential. AGW scientists have used it as an argument with me before.

I mean, if they weren't measuring the temperature of the 'weather' at the time, then what *were* they measuring? Surely there's no mistique to it - climate is the 'rolling average' of weather and so climate is, intrinsically, subjectively defined. A rolling average for a week, or a million years? Who's the judge?

choff

Post by choff »

The Winter Olympic organizers are trucking snow in to one of the mountains and putting down dry ice to keep it from melting. They wanted the greenest Winter Games ever and that's what they've got. They worry about things like rain and fog. Me, I'm just kickin back sittin under one of the local palm trees. I could really get to enjoy the AGW in Febuary.
CHoff

Josh Cryer

Post by Josh Cryer »

Science is what we have learned about how not to fool ourselves about the way the world is.

mad_derek

Post by mad_derek »

Josh,

I don't know where you got this graph, but, why would the 'Global' average temperature rise during the Northern hemisphere's summer (and not the Southern summer)?
Insanity Rules!

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

So is that part of the Child Cycle which is in a warm phase? Is it an adjustment? Or is it CO2? Or is it something else?

BTW Arctic Ice is increasing: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/02/09/p ... is-summer/
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

mad_derek wrote:Josh,

I don't know where you got this graph, but, why would the 'Global' average temperature rise during the Northern hemisphere's summer (and not the Southern summer)?
More land in the North. I believe the Northerners stole the Southerner's land and there needs to be redistributive justice.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

The curve SHOULD be the other way. Aphelion (furthest from the sun) occurs on July 4th with ~7% LESS input than perihelion of January 3rd. The GLOBAL temperature should definitely show warmer in the northern winter, not colder. SOMETHING is hosed.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:The curve SHOULD be the other way. Aphelion (furthest from the sun) occurs on July 4th with ~7% LESS input than perihelion of January 3rd. The GLOBAL temperature should definitely show warmer in the northern winter, not colder. SOMETHING is hosed.
Maybe the higher albedo from ice and snow counteracts the increase in energy input. It is a system you know.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Lovely. "Science" at its worse!

We should come up with *good questions* for AGW scientists, like; "Where, on earth, is the global average temperature rise the highest?" or "is it true that 50% of all temperature data indicates a lower rise of average temperature than actually claimed?" and then leave on "simmer" to cook.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

I thought the global average temp was considered to be around 16C. Blimey, if they can't even tell if it's -16C or +16C then their science is worse than I thought!!!

bcglorf

Relax

Post by bcglorf »

It's alright, I'm sure that was just from the powerpoint shown to those of us living in the Northern Hemisphere, there will likely be a separate one for audiences from the southern hemisphere that reflects their summer in the global average.

And on a serious note, wow. That's a whole new level of cringe inducing 'data'.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Josh, whose data is that? What is its origin/provenance?