A Loss Of Faith

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

olivier

Post by olivier »

You make me feel older. My first PC was a TRS-80 with a Z80 assembler developed by a small company called Micro...something.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I got my hands on an Altair in April of '75.

When it appeared on the cover of Pop Electronics in Dec (Jan '75 issue) of '74 I knew the revolution had started in earnest. My electronic friends wondered what the fuss was about.

By mid or late '76 I was building an IMSAI.

http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/my_imsai.htm

I used the TDL software.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

BenTC

Post by BenTC »

chrismb wrote:We (in out school electronics club) were also mesmerised by the Sinclair ZX80, and subsequently ZX81, building various add-ons to that silly little expansion port at the back.
Ahhh the venerable ZX81. My first computer. Grandparents bought it back from Singapore when I was 11. All 1KB main memory of it, plus 16KB expansion pack that piggybacked the back on the thermal printer connection. Taught myself to program, but didn't have the opportunity to do hardware.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Ahh, the olden golden days. :)

You guys were far ahead of me. My first computer was a KayPro II. I produced the Kitsap L5 News on that puppy for several years.

My first intro to BUYING computers was at a "Byte-Shoppe". Remember those? I walked in and there was this caverous store-front. At the back was a shelf with a small number of computers for sale.

Along the right wall was a three or four glass cases. All alone, on the top shelf of one of the cases was this MASSIVE green velvet covered display board with an S-100 bus board on it. That board was covered with what seemed to be hundreds of ICs. Propped beside the board was this hand-written sign that exclaimed "64 kbytes RAM, Only $499.95!!!"

As a poor student, I figured that was too rich for my blood and didn't look again for several years.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I still have my ZX80 (In loft in box in garage). I wonder if they are a collectors item now? Don't know why I kept it all these years.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Itty Bitty Micro-machines was one of the first Byte Shops. Evanston, Illinois. I bought my first 2708 there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itty_bitty_machine_company
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

ladajo wrote:I still have my ZX80 (In loft in box in garage). I wonder if they are a collectors item now? Don't know why I kept it all these years.
Might need to refresh the EPROM...
Ars artis est celare artem.

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

I'm young. First computer was an Apple IIe, but back then all I knew how to do was play hangman and a game called centipede. Later, I remember learning how to spell and do basic arithmetic on the family 286. Good times.

I just got through reading William Gibson's Neuromancer, written in 1984. It takes place in the technologically advanced future, where our cyber savvy protagonist tries to sell an amazing 3 megabytes of RAM on the black market.

CaptainBeowulf

Post by CaptainBeowulf »

I remember reading a short story set in Niven's Ringworld universe - one of the compilations by various science fiction authors about the Kzin wars. It was probably written in the 80s or early 90s. The protagonist - some world government agent in the distant future - had access to huge amounts of information on the government's amazing computer storage arrays. IIRC these storage arrays held multiple gigabytes of information...

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Which of course, due to their superior systems, was winnowed down from iato-exo-terra-bytes of data. :)