New Route to Industrialization of Carbon Nanotubes

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Scupperer

New Route to Industrialization of Carbon Nanotubes

Post by Scupperer »

Video of Carbon Nanotube dissolving in Chlorosulfonic Acid

Chemical World Article

Nature Nanotechnology Abstract

Being able to dissolve nanotubes without damaging them will allow them to be processed into fibers and sheets at a much larger scale. Next stop: nanotube cables for suspension bridges! Nanotube composite airplanes! Wheee!
Perrin Ehlinger

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I covered some of this in my ECN article posted about a month back.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Can they be made long enough for practical use? Last I heard they were up to a few millimeters, but that's not long enough to weave or spin.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

kunkmiester wrote:Can they be made long enough for practical use? Last I heard they were up to a few millimeters, but that's not long enough to weave or spin.
It is just a matter of time.

Look at where transistors were in 1948. Not to mention Lilenthal in 1925 and the invention of the FET.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Scupperer

Post by Scupperer »

kunkmiester wrote:Can they be made long enough for practical use? Last I heard they were up to a few millimeters, but that's not long enough to weave or spin.
18mm is the record, and they were reliably producing 12mm length batches.

The acid solution bypasses the need for nanotube length when weaving or spinning; the fibers/sheets they make can be of any length, and the tubes will be aligned. However, the resulting material isn't especially strong unless the basic nanotube length is reliably increased, so it's currently useless for many of the predicted possibilities of nanotube strength, but there's still a wide range of potential "practical" uses with CNT's electrical properties.

Coupled with another interesting development:
Preferential Growth of Metallic Carbon Nanotubes Then we're talking about the possibility of using them as power lines, once the scale of manufacturing can be increased. Maybe not high tension power lines, yet, until the nanotube length is increased, but there's plenty of other need.

It's also an interesting development for computer/electronic applications, where strength is irrelevant, but control over conductivity is desired.

Sorry I missed those posts on your blog, Simon; just went and read.
Look at where transistors were in 1948. Not to mention Lilenthal in 1925 and the invention of the FET.
I have been absolutely fascinated with CNT's since I first heard of them in the 90's when the research burst into them began. Coupled with a refresh reading of Clark's Fountains of Paradise, it inspired me to do my architectural thesis ('96) on a ground station for a space elevator (which wasn't very impressive, honestly, but still was fun to try).

It's been what, 15-20 years since the basic research into CNT really got under way? I expect the transition to applied research is already started on several fronts. Just need a couple of breakthroughs: length and scale of production. They'll happen :)
Perrin Ehlinger

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Well, if you can coat something with them, conductivity can be taken advantage of. Power lines, for example, are for the most part aluminum bundles wrapped around an iron core for strength. If you can coat aluminum or something with the nanotubes with something like this process, you can build a nanotube power line--it just won't be pure nanotube. Depending on the conductivity properties, this could be a good enough improvement to justify doing it.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Some researchers claim CNTs have asbestos-like effects on health. Graphene apparently does not, and can also be used for structural composites, with various values of electrical conductivity:

"Graphene-Polymer Composite"
http://www.technologyreview.com/Nanotech/20821/?a=f

"Polymers can be infused with carbon nanotubes to make materials with similar properties. But graphene could be much cheaper. "You can buy [graphite] in bags for dollars a pound, while single-walled nanotubes are hundreds of dollars per gram..."

"Functionalized graphene sheets for polymer nanocomposites"
http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v3/ ... 08.96.html

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

DeltaV wrote:Some researchers claim CNTs have asbestos-like effects on health. Graphene apparently does not, and can also be used for structural composites, with various values of electrical conductivity:

"Graphene-Polymer Composite"
http://www.technologyreview.com/Nanotech/20821/?a=f

"Polymers can be infused with carbon nanotubes to make materials with similar properties. But graphene could be much cheaper. "You can buy [graphite] in bags for dollars a pound, while single-walled nanotubes are hundreds of dollars per gram..."

"Functionalized graphene sheets for polymer nanocomposites"
http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v3/ ... 08.96.html
I can't remember where a transparent electrically conductive coating was required (solar cells?) but graphene is a good candidate for their replacement.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indium_tin_oxide

ITO is mainly used to make transparent conductive coatings for liquid crystal displays, flat panel displays, plasma displays, touch panels, electronic ink applications, organic light-emitting diodes, solar cells, antistatic coatings and EMI shieldings.

Indium is expensive (rare) so a graphene replacement would be a very good thing.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Graphene has two things going for it w.r.t. those applications:
1) It's extremely strong for a monoatomic layer (strongest known, I think).
2) It's transparent, but the one-atom layer is still visible to the naked eye, blocking 2.3% of visible light [0.023=Pi*(fine structure constant) per one paper I saw]. Easier to work with something you can see.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

DeltaV wrote:Graphene has two things going for it w.r.t. those applications:
1) It's extremely strong for a monoatomic layer (strongest known, I think).
2) It's transparent, but the one-atom layer is still visible to the naked eye, blocking 2.3% of visible light [0.023=Pi*(fine structure constant) per one paper I saw]. Easier to work with something you can see.
I think the carbon-carbon bond is on the order of 10 eV and when arranged in a nanotube or graphene layer the "bulk" material is 60 eV. Which accounts for the strength (yield curve) of the materials.

The high strength of the single layers also accounts for the reason interlayer bonding is so low.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

I could have sworn I just read a blurb on the net about a "strong acid" processes being used to align and extrude fibers of SWCNT that were meters long. Now I can't find it. Dang!

GPecchia

Post by GPecchia »

KitemanSA wrote:I could have sworn I just read a blurb on the net about a "strong acid" processes being used to align and extrude fibers of SWCNT that were meters long. Now I can't find it. Dang!
MSimon wrote:
It would be nice to have 20 ft of 1/4" line capable of towing an 18 wheeler in the boot of my vehicle. Not that towing an 18 wheeler is a good idea.

Another advance in carbon nanotube manufacture.

http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/23921/

"A new method for assembling carbon nanotubes has been used to create fibers hundreds of meters long."
http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/23921/?a=f

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Yup, that was it! Thanks!