Starting a Laboratory

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Brent

Starting a Laboratory

Post by Brent »

I can't help but wonder, what are the legal considerations for starting a laboratory?

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Put it under a volcano, keep it quiet, and practice your maniacal laugh. :twisted:
Evil is evil, no matter how small

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Say nothing to no one.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Brent

Post by Brent »

I'm getting the impression that most amazing things in the world require a PhD. It's a powerful degree, especially today.
If my impression is correct, a person like Tesla couldn't live the life he did today.

Oh well, I'm sure something is possible, just find the right people I guess. Crazy professors are out there for sure.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Brent wrote:I'm getting the impression that most amazing things in the world require a PhD. It's a powerful degree, especially today.
If my impression is correct, a person like Tesla couldn't live the life he did today.

Oh well, I'm sure something is possible, just find the right people I guess. Crazy professors are out there for sure.
Most amazing things in the world require a will. Everything else follows as necessary.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

vankirkc

Post by vankirkc »

MSimon wrote:Say nothing to no one.
Does this mean you should say everything to everyone, or just something?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

vankirkc wrote:
MSimon wrote:Say nothing to no one.
Does this mean you should say everything to everyone, or just something?
Depends on how much trouble you can stand.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

MSimon wrote: Most amazing things in the world require a will.
That's true in many interpretations!

If you're born into money, or have it granted to you by wealthy predecessors, then you've got a far better chance of running your own research that if you're on your toddy.

All founding science prior to 20thC came from hobby scientists - usually well-funded by personal wealth or in a steady respected profession like the clergy.

Don't be under the false impression that how someone else rates your performance (viz qualifications like PhD's) counts for anything if you've got the will to set up your own lab. Lab regulations only apply to businesses or employers.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Lab regulations only apply to businesses or employers.
Just be careful about the plutonium. Your neighbors may not appreciate the radioactive plume if your Boy Scout reactor melts down. :lol:

Most OSHA regs are at some point based on common sense. Same with EPA, etc. Bureaucracy makes it crazy though. There is a principle that says, "First, do no harm." Ostensibly, our laws are based on this principle--laws against murder and theft are obvious, but even debatable ones, such as zoning laws and no-parking zones were originally based on this idea, current effects debatable though, as said. Some do worse than others.

Make sure if you're trying something that might explode, it's done somewhere it won't blow up anyone else's stuff. Chemicals are harder--make use of all the crap that is made for EPA and OSHA compliance, to keep it from spilling and causing trouble for you or your neighbors. If you're careful, you won't get in trouble until after your rich and famous and people will forgive you.

A little bit of common sense goes a long way, and lawyer up quick if trouble comes a-callin'. Also remember is that if common sense was common, everyone would have it. Your neighbor might not, or he just might not understand why you want lightning bolts striking the top of that castle you built.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

Brent

Post by Brent »

Thanks everyone!

I almost put this as my Facebook Status:
Just be careful about the plutonium. Your neighbors may not appreciate the radioactive plume if your Boy Scout reactor melts down.

Don't be under the false impression that how someone else rates your performance (viz qualifications like PhD's) counts for anything if you've got the will to set up your own lab.
Good to hear.

Most amazing things in the world require a will. Everything else follows as necessary.
Thanks MSimon. This was inspirational to me.
Put it under a volcano, keep it quiet, and practice your maniacal laugh.
Hmm....I like volcanoes.

BenTC

Post by BenTC »

Keep in mind, the aim is not to be in a position to win any legal challenge. The aim is to not end up in court at all, which can be very time consuming and distracting.