Pretty unbelieveable...

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Stoney3K

Post by Stoney3K »

93143 wrote:Read my post again and make sure you understand it.
I DID read your post and understand your point.

With regards to the landing stability issue, the whole engine would be pretty useless if you're unable to throttle it.

Shutting down an engine as a whole would probably mean too much instant stress on the landing gear (wheels, legs), but gradually reducing the engine's power for a gentle touch-down would be less of an issue.

I don't imagine landing such a craft would mean plomping it down by shutting off the engine and starting a controlled fall.
Because we can.

paulmarch

Re: Where does the energy come from?

Post by paulmarch »

qraal wrote:Hi Paul March & all

One question I've wondered since Woodward's ideas first surfaced was just where does the kinetic energy of the space-vehicle come from? Does his theory actually explain that? Is it conserved overall?
"Where does the kinetic energy of a Mach-drive vehicle come from?"

Simple, it's the cosmological gravity/inertia or gravinertial field created by the rest of the mass/energy in the universe. This idea is at the heart of Mach's principle as stated by Ernst mach in the late 1800s. In other words when an M-E drive accelerates itself and anything attached to it, the momentum and energy books for this acceleration step are balanced by subtracting the equivalent energy from this cosmological gravinertial field, which IMO, simultaneously lowers the overall temperature of the causally connected universe. So the Mach drive is just an electric motor that has replaced the driving electric and magnetic fields with the gravinertial field as the intermediating agent.
Paul March
Friendswood, TX

paulmarch

Re: Retro-Causal Communications & Star Drives

Post by paulmarch »

93143 wrote:
Stoney3K wrote:
93143 wrote: Yeah, but once the engines SHUT OFF, gravity takes over. I'm not talking about stability in flight; I'm talking about passive landing stability.

Even a sphere has this problem. If one of the legs breaks, well... spheres roll.
A helicopter also has a problem if the engines decide to fail. Sure, you have autorotation, but even that has its limitations (and that may be possible with a thing like this too).
I didn't say "fail"; I said "shut off". For the last time, I'm talking about LANDING STABILITY. Read more carefully.

It doesn't matter what the drive system is; if it's landing vertically on uneven terrain it MUST have a minimum degree of stability - see the problems with the Altair lunar lander. The Mach-effect drive removes the aerodynamic considerations that make an SSTO taller than it is wide, and a Mach-effect vehicle doesn't have to fit inside the Ares V's payload fairing, so the stability requirement dominates. The wider the base of support, the better the ability to land on rough terrain in high winds, so unless you're really confident you're never going to be dealing with anything but paved spaceports in calm weather, it's best to keep the design low and wide.

[Granted, the Altair's problem is exacerbated by the fact that the descent stage on the bottom is mostly empty tankage by the time it lands, so the centre of gravity is very high considering the shape. But the principle is valid.]
Using this tech for a full launch lifter is pointless anyway...
What do you mean? I can only assume you haven't understood what this is all about. A Mach-effect drive with the hoped-for thrust efficiency and T/W ratio could easily be used for the complete range of drive requirements. A Polywell-powered jet or rocket engine would be much heavier and need thousands of times as much power to deliver the same thrust.

This isn't an antigravity device. It's a thruster. If it proved possible to generate artificial gravity/antigravity with it, well, that would be a secondary effect, and it wouldn't be directly related to the acceleration of the vehicle.

Also, unless the airbreathing engine uses ONLY air (and sheds on the order of a gigawatt of waste heat some other way), it will require substantial coolant/propellant tanks, meaning limited operational capability - maybe one orbital launch and a propulsive entry/landing. Rockets are even worse. Mach-effect drives can't run out of propellant because they don't use any, and shedding waste heat via radiators isn't so bad because there isn't all that much of it. Result? Take off and land as many times as you like; no refueling necessary.

Air-breathing engines have higher Isp and thrust than rocket engines for a comparable amount of power (or fuel flow, if pure chemical is used). Neither is remotely comparable to the efficiency of using ground traction to push against the mass of the Earth, like a car or a tank, and as I demonstrated upthread, even that is vastly inferior to a 1 N/W Mach-effect thruster. Bear in mind that Mach-effect thrusters are predicted to have T/W ratios comparable to those of chemical rockets, ie: pushing 50:1. (There are chemical rocket engines that exceed 100:1, but it's in the ballpark.)

This is what I mean when I say that if Mach-effect thrusters work as well as the proponents hope, it will make most science fiction obsolete. That includes Firefly.

It's possible that if this technology works, but falls short of its hoped-for potential, it could be useful as a space drive but not as a launch engine. But if that happens, it will also be useless for hovering...
93143 has the right of it. Or if you folks would prefer let’s look at thruster energy to thrust efficiencies. The best chemical rocket thrusters as exemplified by the Space Shuttle Main Engine (SSME) has an Isp of ~453 seconds and a thruster efficiency of ~2.5x10^-4 Newtons per Watt. The current VX-200 VASIMR engine by Ad Astra company has a Isp of ~5,000 second and a net energy to thrust efficiency of ~5.0 Newtons / 200 kW = 2.5x10^-5 Newton per Watt due to its high Isp figure driven by its limited power supply. For reference, the highest performing turbofan engine used on the wide body jets has an Isp ~5,000 seconds and a thruster energy efficiency of ~2.0x10^-3 Newton per Watt, but this is only operational below 40k feet altitude here on Earth where it has access to its external propellant supply.

Now, my proof of principle Mach-2MHz, Mach Lorentz Thruster (MLT) on the other hand had a thruster energy efficiency of 2.9x10^-4 Newton/Watt, which is already equivalent to the best operational chemical rocket (SSME). And since there is no currently known theoretical restrictions on an MLT’s maximum thrust efficiency other than those placed on it by its engineering details, what is obtainable for the best MLT or M-E drive performance is only limited by the available dielectric material science and power electronics of the day in question. It may take up to 100 years to reach this 1.0 N/W efficiency level through a process of continuous improvements much like how the internal combustion engine was improved over the 20th Century, but theoretically the road is open for this kind of incremental development process.
Paul March
Friendswood, TX

Scupperer

Post by Scupperer »

Could someone Neil deGrasse Tyson or Carl Sagan this concept for me, please?

Here's what I think I understand:
Apply a high voltage to a piezoelectric material and its mass changes.

Somehow, this mass change will cause a thrust. A thrust relative to what? I don't get this part at all. Is it directional based on 2 of these devices operating next to each other? ie: they have to act against each other. How can the thrust be any bigger than the mass change of the material?

The energy for the thrust is stolen from the inertia of the entire universe. I presume this is affected by the mass change of the device? If not, how?
Perrin Ehlinger

Re: Retro-Causal Communications & Star Drives

Post by 93143 »

Stoney3K wrote:
93143 wrote:It's possible that if this technology works, but falls short of its hoped-for potential, it could be useful as a space drive but not as a launch engine. But if that happens, it will also be useless for hovering...
Not really, even a good hover engine has plenty of uses, think ground-based hover vehicles (cars, trucks, skateboards!) and replacement of helicopters.
No, you didn't understand me. If you can make a Mach-effect thruster that's good enough for hovering, it's much much easier to make it a bit bigger and use it for everything else as well than it is to add a whole other drive system (vastly inferior in every way) to do the rest. So if it's good for hovering, it should be good for launch, but just because it's good for launch doesn't necessarily mean it's good enough for hovering while something else does the launch. The capability gap is not small; the "something else" will be orders of magnitude less good in at least one way (propellant consumption), and probably another one (thrust energy efficiency). Now consider that there's a huge weight penalty for having two drives instead of one...

[EDIT: As others have noted, even if you can't quite do 1 gee with the Mach effect engine, you can use wings to get aloft under fractional gee acceleration and go to orbit (and beyond) that way. It's still better than conventional propulsion.]
Suppose the craft is Polywell-powered and, therefore, has a pretty big power supply up it's engine room to power the Mach drive.

Where conventional launch vehicles *need* to propel their payload to orbital velocity from the start (otherwise it'll fall down again), why not make a Mach drive that pushes down with a steady 1,0g (hover) or just a little bit more, to slowly gain altitude? Even jet engines can make that grade these days (e.g. Harrier and JSF) so that's not even a technological challenge.

Sure, you're not in orbit yet, but you're in space. Once you're up there, normal engines (chemical or ion, I prefer the latter since you've got a Polywell on the back!) can speed up the craft in near-vacuum a lot more efficient than in the atmosphere.
Or gradually change the direction of thrust of the Mach drive once you start increasing orbital velocity (from 'hover' to 'forward'), any way you like it.
That's exactly it! If you've got a Mach drive good enough to hover, it's silly to use anything else to go sideways. Just use the Mach drive (or if you really want, add another one pointing sideways; there's more than one way to skin a cat).

Or you could make your power supply about ten thousand times bigger and do it your way, sacrificing the advantages of propellantless operation in the process.
And, although this thing is a thruster and doesn't create a gravity field, it IS an A/G device since it can provide a force which counteracts gravity (with no apparent reactive mass). Useful in all apparent cases.
Yes. I was just trying to head off a potential misunderstanding. Looks like it was unnecessary.
With regarding to landing stability: Any decent pilot will tell you that landing something (aircraft or rotorcraft) on a non-level surface is plain stupid. Counteracting crosswinds is easy if you have a good RCS thruster system. :)
Tell that to the next bush pilot you meet. Or maybe Neil Armstrong. Having a vehicle capable of landing on a non-level surface is better for any number of reasons, not least of which is that for exploration purposes (or emergency response purposes) you can't guarantee a level surface to land on. The steeper the slope you can land on, the better. There are arguments in favour of a sphere, but certainly nothing taller.

As for wind gusts, your RCS (presumably composed of Mach-effect units, because they're immeasurably superior to rocket clusters in pretty much every way) doesn't do you any good if you've already landed and powered down. Why would you deliberately design something that needs power to not fall over in a hurricane if you don't have to?

Your next post seems to be attacking a really dumb idea I never advocated; that of using an on/off engine to drop the vehicle hard down on the struts. That's not what I meant by stability.
Last edited by 93143 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

If you can make a Mach-effect thruster that's good enough for hovering, it's much much easier to make it a bit bigger and use it for everything else as well than it is to add a whole other drive system (vastly inferior in every way) to do the rest.
That was something that hadn't occurred to me right away either. The implications of a Mach effect drive are just staggering.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

TallDave wrote:
If you can make a Mach-effect thruster that's good enough for hovering, it's much much easier to make it a bit bigger and use it for everything else as well than it is to add a whole other drive system (vastly inferior in every way) to do the rest.
That was something that hadn't occurred to me right away either. The implications of a Mach effect drive are just staggering.
Yup. One engine fills all roles, and requires no vents to eject reaction mass. OTOH, if Mr. March's fellow kibitzer Mr. Palfreyman is correct here, negative mass may be impossible, which puts a crimp in metric engineering.
Vae Victis

EricF

Post by EricF »

It sounds to me like the mach-effect thruster is somewhat analogous to a boat motor propeller: Instead of displacing and pushing on a medium of water, it does so on the medium of the gravinertial field of the universe?

cuddihy

Post by cuddihy »

Ok, I think I get how the MLT works, which I'll probably disprove by asking this question: How do you control an MLT's direction of thrust?

ie, you gimble a rocket motor to turn or manuever. What do you do to an MLT to change the direction of the force? Or is that something that still has to be worked out?

I guess it's probably as simple as turning the axis, but geometry says to me that like a gyroscope, an MLT should resist off-axis motion with a reaction torque.

Or do I have some part of my reasoning messed up here?
Tom.Cuddihy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Faith is the foundation of reason.

paulmarch

Post by paulmarch »

cuddihy wrote:Ok, I think I get how the MLT works, which I'll probably disprove by asking this question: How do you control an MLT's direction of thrust?

ie, you gimble a rocket motor to turn or manuever. What do you do to an MLT to change the direction of the force? Or is that something that still has to be worked out?

I guess it's probably as simple as turning the axis, but geometry says to me that like a gyroscope, an MLT should resist off-axis motion with a reaction torque.

Or do I have some part of my reasoning messed up here?
You can reverse the MLT thrust vector by simply flipping the phases of the applied MLT cap E-field and force rectification B-field by 180 degrees. That E- and B-field phase flip reverses the thrust vector 180 degrees at a goodly percentage of the speed of light. If you want to read more, see my STAIF-2007 paper on the "WarpStar-I" MLT powered Moon ship.

See: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2007AIPC..880.1063M
http://www.cphonx.net/.../STAIF-2007%20 ... pendix.ppt
Paul March
Friendswood, TX

paulmarch

Post by paulmarch »

Scupperer wrote:Could someone Neil deGrasse Tyson or Carl Sagan this concept for me, please?

Here's what I think I understand:
Apply a high voltage to a piezoelectric material and its mass changes.

Somehow, this mass change will cause a thrust. A thrust relative to what? I don't get this part at all. Is it directional based on 2 of these devices operating next to each other? ie: they have to act against each other. How can the thrust be any bigger than the mass change of the material?

The energy for the thrust is stolen from the inertia of the entire universe. I presume this is affected by the mass change of the device? If not, how?
I may be too close to the topic to be of much good to you but consider this. Given that a capacitor dielectric can vary its total mass cyclically over a period of time around an average value, and you can apply an external force to the dielectric so it pushes the dielectric when it is heavy and then pulls on it when it's light in the same direction, you create an unbalanced force in the direction of the pull light force. This is force rectification of a time varying mass. If you want to reverse this net unbalanced force due to the time varying mass, you simply reverse the push/pull order, so you push light and then pull heavy.

Edit: The M-E drives push/pull off the mostly distant mass/energy in the universe via the cosmological gravity/inertia or gravinertia (G/I) field that gives rise to Newtonian inertia per Mach's principle. As to the origins of the momentum and energy acquired by the M-E Drive, it comes from the kinetic energy of the various parts of the universe that create this G/I field, which IMO reduces the average temperature of the univers by a very, very small percentage required to balance the energy books. However, since the 5% of the mass/energy that is standard mass in the universe is composed of over 1x10^80 atoms and ions, wiggling a block of dielectric mass that only contains at most ~1x10^26 ions is no big deal...
Last edited by paulmarch on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul March
Friendswood, TX

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

One of the links above seem to have gotten lost in the html translation. The ellipse was written into both the text abreviation and URL.

http://www.cphonx.net/weffect/STAIF-200 ... pendix.ppt
Last edited by Betruger on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulmarch

Post by paulmarch »

Betruger wrote:Those two links above seem to have gotten lost in the html translation. The ellipse was written into both the text abreviation and URL.
Try this one: http://www.cphonx.net/weffect/alt.php and then click on this:
STAIF-2007 MLT Powered Spacecraftcourtesy Paul March
Paul March
Friendswood, TX

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Yes sorry, only the second one was broken. Thanks :)

Scupperer

Post by Scupperer »

paulmarch wrote:I may be too close to the topic to be of much good to you but consider this. Given that a capacitor dielectric can vary its total mass cyclically over a period of time around an average value, and you can apply an external force to the dielectric so it pushes the dielectric when it is heavy and then pulls on it when it's light in the same direction, you create an unbalanced force in the direction of the pull light force. This is force rectification of a time varying mass. If you want to reverse this net unbalanced force due to the time varying mass, you simply reverse the push/pull order, so you push light and then pull heavy.

Edit: The M-E drives push/pull off the mostly distant mass/energy in the universe via the cosmological gravity/inertia or gravinertia (G/I) field that gives rise to Newtonian inertia per Mach's principle. As to the origins of the momentum and energy acquired by the M-E Drive, it comes from the kinetic energy of the various parts of the universe that create this G/I field, which IMO reduces the average temperature of the univers by a very, very small percentage required to balance the energy books. However, since the 5% of the mass/energy that is standard mass in the universe is composed of over 1x10^80 atoms and ions, wiggling a block of dielectric mass that only contains at most ~1x10^26 ions is no big deal...
Okay, let me see if I can break this down in terms of Newtonian physics.

F=m*a. If you alter m, then either the force or acceleration changes. If you alter m while applying an acceleration or deceleration (push/pull on the device), then you can change the acceleration if the force stays the same.

If you accelerate the device while the mass is decreasing, the acceleration increases, and if you decelerate while the mass is increasing, the acceleration also increases (or do I have this backwards?). Reverse it, if you want to slow down.

So it's a pumping action, and the direction of force is literally dictated by which way you push the device while altering its mass.

The magic seems to be in how the mass of the material changes?
Perrin Ehlinger