100 year old steam-power - finally beaten.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

chrismb

100 year old steam-power - finally beaten.

Post by chrismb »

The all-time land speed record in 1906 was set by a steam powered car.

It was the first man-made device to exceed 200kph under its own internal power.

It 'smashed' the previous record by >10% and remained the highest speed achieved by a motor vehicle until 1919. In fact, it held the land speed record for the second longest period ever, second only to Thrust2 (that held its record for 14 years until Thrust SSC).

Earlier in the week, the steam-powered car record was finally beaten... after 103 years!

http://www.steamcar.co.uk/

(It's a shame the Victorians didn't know about nuclear science, maybe they'd have figured out fusion? The first aeroplanes might've even been fusion-powered!!!)

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

'Bout time!

With all the problem for tires, suspension, etc dealt with by record seekers using other technologies, the big question is how long until the next record is set. There should be tremendous room for improvement in steam.

I see no mention of the engine technology used for the recent records. The Stanley Steamer was a piston machine, according to the link below a 2-cylinder double-acting system related to the system used on steam locomotives. In 1906 it would have been a non-condensing (total loss) system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_car

I wonder if the modern version is piston or turbine? Does it condense the steam?

The steampunk in me likes this ... the engineering technologist prefers electric.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Heh. I was tempted to ask if the making-fire-by-rubbing-two-sticks-together record was older.

I guess no one has been interested in steam for a while.

It's a sign of today's wealth that we're throwing resources at this again. I'd love to see one of these in action.