Healthcare & rationing

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Scupperer

Post by Scupperer »

Skipjack wrote:n regards to cultural diversity: Well that is somewhat idiotic. How would cultural diversity affect this?
How to Get Cancer: Move to the United States
Perrin Ehlinger

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Scupperer wrote:
Skipjack wrote:n regards to cultural diversity: Well that is somewhat idiotic. How would cultural diversity affect this?
How to Get Cancer: Move to the United States
No need to do that. Just increase the amount of tobacco smoked.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

kmkramer

Post by kmkramer »

Skipjack wrote:In regards to cultural diversity: Well that is somewhat idiotic. How would cultural diversity affect this? If you take the entirety of Europe we do have quite some cultural diversity, btw, I would tend to say.
Heck here in my hometown I see more black people than in San Antonio Texas.
Races of people are genetic families and they have genetic differences which can be important to their health. This is why Japan repeats every US medical study on the Japanese population. African-American men, even when corrected for income, insurance, etc, get heart disease and cancer more frequently, for instance

The US is 12% AA, 12% Hispanic, 4% Asian and has a diverse non-Hispanic white population. I don't think there is any country that has that complicated a gene pool to deal with.

Here is an example study :
http://esciencenews.com/articles/2008/0 ... caucasians
[EDIT : wrong article]

Here is an article about the US's complicated infant mortality problem :
http://www.slate.com/id/2161899/

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I know that, but Europe is always compared to the US as a whole and taking Europe as a whole, we do have at least a smillilarily diverse population. Taking the amount of immigrants from Afrika in some parts of Europe, at least some countries are getting rates for blacks that rival the US.
Here in my hometown we have everything. You take a walk in the park and you dont know what country you are in. You can walk for 30 minutes without hearing a single german word.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:We still have more than 50% of the adult population here smoking. I mean until 3 years ago (when cigarette prices went up so much), almost everyone here was smoking. Non smokers were the minority.
We are still far behind the US in this, yet we live longer. So I doubt that smoking can be made responsible for the gap in live expectancy.

In regards to cultural diversity: Well that is somewhat idiotic. How would cultural diversity affect this? If you take the entirety of Europe we do have quite some cultural diversity, btw, I would tend to say.
Heck here in my hometown I see more black people than in San Antonio Texas.
It is not just genetic diversity. It is which genes.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.