How very smart people can believe very weird things.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

alexjrgreen
Posts: 815
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Post by alexjrgreen »

chrismb wrote:
alexjrgreen wrote:
chrismb wrote:I was referring to the historic meaning of 'patent' rather than the current. Obviously, words can loose and/or take on extra meanings during their life.

Back to the subject of 'ownership' - if I have [bought] a DVD of a film which is now out of copyright that has encrypted video files on it and I use DVD Shrink, or similar, to back up that disc onto a blank DVD, I have a) copied none of the original data (as I have changed it, removing the encryption) nor b) infringed copyright as no-one can now 'own' the original film material. Do I, therefore, now 'own' the specific data on that backup disc, seeing as I have generated it uniquely with my own computer? Indeed, could I even sell it and claim copyright for it?!
Copyright Term Extension Act

Film copyright in the European Union
...and what is your interpretation of what these say?...
"a film which is now out of copyright that has encrypted video files on it" would be rather rare...
Ars artis est celare artem.

ravingdave
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:41 am

Post by ravingdave »

djolds1 wrote:
rcain wrote:
MSimon wrote:"Concentration of wealth is a natural result of concentration of ability, and recurs in history. The rate of concentration varies (other factors being equal) with the economic freedom permitted by morals and the law... democracy, allowing the most liberty, accelerates it. -- Will and Ariel Durant
...no.

Concentration of wealth is a natural result of concentration of POWER (to concentrate wealth)... That is the 'ability', none other.
Both of you are wrong. Wealth condensation is a spontaneous systems process that simply happens. Ability is not a factor, and institutions of power are after the fact structures that evolve to protect the wealth randomly accrued.
This is precisely the time at which the mindset of these people turn socialist. When money comes in with no apparent relationship to work, people lose understanding of what money is and how it's created.

As one book described it, All socialists movements in history were started and nursed on by the wives and children of wealthy men.

Now that we have a nation full of spoiled rotten rich kids, their lack of being in touch with reality is creating a danger for everyone.


Just an observation.


David

pfrit
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:04 pm

Post by pfrit »

alexjrgreen wrote:
chrismb wrote:
...and what is your interpretation of what these say?...
"a film which is now out of copyright that has encrypted video files on it" would be rather rare...
..."Its a Wonderful Life"?
What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

MSimon
Posts: 14332
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Contact:

Post by MSimon »

pfrit wrote:
alexjrgreen wrote:
chrismb wrote: ...and what is your interpretation of what these say?...
"a film which is now out of copyright that has encrypted video files on it" would be rather rare...
..."Its a Wonderful Life"?
His Girl Friday is a delightful movie and is freely available on the 'net. with Cary Grant (Archibald Leach) and Rosalind Russell.

Video Here:

http://www.archive.org/details/his_girl_friday
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

pfrit
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:04 pm

Post by pfrit »

MSimon wrote:
pfrit wrote:
alexjrgreen wrote: "a film which is now out of copyright that has encrypted video files on it" would be rather rare...
..."Its a Wonderful Life"?
His Girl Friday is a delightful movie and is freely available on the 'net. with Cary Grant (Archibald Leach) and Rosalind Russell.

Video Here:

http://www.archive.org/details/his_girl_friday
I have both of these on DVD. And no, they are not copies. I assume that they have the same built in restrictions that all other dvds made by the distributor has.
What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

MSimon
Posts: 14332
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Contact:

Post by MSimon »

The copyright on His Girl Friday has lapsed. However a copy that was sufficiently altered or had additional material appended might be copyrightable. Depending.

BTW I have the free internet version and a DVD.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Brian H
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:37 pm
Contact:

Oh, you clever sillies!

Post by Brian H »

Clever Sillies - Why the high IQ lack common sense
The results of cognitive stratification and IQ-advertising are therefore bad enough to have destroyed the value of whole domains of the arts and academia, and in the domain of public policy the results have been simply disastrous. Over the past four decades the dishonest fantasy-world discourse of non-biological political correctness has evolved to dominate the intellectual arena of whole nations – perhaps the whole developed world – such that wrong and ridiculous ideas have become not just mainstream, but compulsory.
8)
Help Keep the Planet Green! Maximize your CO2 and CH4 Output!
Global Warming = More Life. Global Cooling = More Death.

Diogenes
Posts: 6958
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Oh, you clever sillies!

Post by Diogenes »

Brian H wrote:Clever Sillies - Why the high IQ lack common sense
The results of cognitive stratification and IQ-advertising are therefore bad enough to have destroyed the value of whole domains of the arts and academia, and in the domain of public policy the results have been simply disastrous. Over the past four decades the dishonest fantasy-world discourse of non-biological political correctness has evolved to dominate the intellectual arena of whole nations – perhaps the whole developed world – such that wrong and ridiculous ideas have become not just mainstream, but compulsory.
8)



Great link! A Very appropriate post.

Post Reply