Polywell news - A site for sore eyes

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Post Reply
bcokeley
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:54 pm
Location: California

Polywell news - A site for sore eyes

Post by bcokeley »

My home has devalued 40% since I purchased. My employer is both happy with my performance and uncertain if they will be able to keep me. My extended family and friends are in the same situation or worse. I sure could use some good news . . . good news that is real. I check in on this site often. I'm hoping for good news on the Polywell experiments. It would be nice to know that something is going well in this country.

MSimon
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Contact:

Post by MSimon »

The new guys in Congress are spending like drunken sailors and strangling business with regulation. So your taxes will be going up as your income goes down. A government move of pure genius.

As to good news? There is none. Yet.

Polywell is unlikely to be at the head of the line for government funds. $40 million a year for 5 years ain't much of a stimulus.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

tombo
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:10 am
Location: Washington USA

Post by tombo »

Correction that was the OLD guys in congress and in the executive that have been spending like drunken bankers over that last few months (and years).
We have yet to see how the new guys in both branches will spend.

Don't forget that the worst deficits were run up during Nixon, Reagan, Bush I and Bush II. It leveled off under Carter and even began to come down under Clinton. Sure congress has the purse strings but the president writes the budget that they start with and does the actual spending and controls the off budget money supply via the treasury.

Give the new guy a chance. He has a lot of momentum going the wrong way to overcome.
You better be praying for him to succeed because we are all in the same boat.
-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

TallDave
Posts: 3114
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:12 pm
Contact:

Post by TallDave »

Correction that was the OLD guys in congress and in the executive that have been spending like drunken bankers over that last few months (and years).
We have yet to see how the new guys in both branches will spend.
Uh, no we don't. They've proposed another trillion. In fact, they've been proposing more spending the whole time. Republicans have been shooting most of it down.

This argument is like saying "Well, the dogs aren't guarding the henhouse very well. Let's put the foxes in charge!"
It leveled off under Carter and even began to come down under Clinton
It came down under Clinton because a GOP Congress fought bitterly to keep budgets down. Remember when Newt shut down the federal government because Clinton wanted a bigger budget? Remember being told Republicans wanted single mothers and their children to starve in the streets?

Remember the Balanced Budget Amendment, that Dems defeated?

The GOP has not been good, but it's delusional to think the Dems will be better.

clonan
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:16 pm

Post by clonan »

TallDave wrote:Remember when Newt shut down the federal government because Clinton wanted a bigger budget? Remember being told Republicans wanted single mothers and their children to starve in the streets?

Remember the Balanced Budget Amendment, that Dems defeated?

The GOP has not been good, but it's delusional to think the Dems will be better.
Acutally I remember Newt shutting down the government because he was asked to go out the back of Air Force One with the rest of the congressman. Newt threw a major hissy fit and ending up costing the government a huge amount of extra money because of it. (I am from Fulton County in Georgia and we are very embarassed.)

Did you actually read the balanced budget amendment? There was no way it could every work. While I would like to see an amendment like that, the one proposed in the 90's was designed to fail and Newt later acknowledged it. The Dems did us a huge favor by killing it.


Do you remember being told that Dems want to nationalize everything an close your business? That statment is as true as the republican thing and was advertised much louder and longer (I have heard it on the "News" this week.)

ravingdave
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:41 am

Post by ravingdave »

clonan wrote:
TallDave wrote:Remember when Newt shut down the federal government because Clinton wanted a bigger budget? Remember being told Republicans wanted single mothers and their children to starve in the streets?

Remember the Balanced Budget Amendment, that Dems defeated?

The GOP has not been good, but it's delusional to think the Dems will be better.
Acutally I remember Newt shutting down the government because he was asked to go out the back of Air Force One with the rest of the congressman. Newt threw a major hissy fit and ending up costing the government a huge amount of extra money because of it. .


I remeber THAT's what every single Media outlet kept repeating ad infinitum.

Here we have again another major example of Media Bias. When Ronald Reagan Vetoed the Budget because it was too large, Every media outlet in America screamed about Reagan shutting down the Government ! They wouldn't shut up about all the bad things that would happen because REAGAN SHUT DOWN THE GOVERNMENT !.

Then, when Bill Clinton Vetoed the budget because Congress was curbing excessive Government spending, the Headlines the Next day was "REPUBLICANS IN CONGRESS SHUT DOWN THE GOVERNMENT" Followed by stories describing how it was the Republicans fault, and that Women and Minorities would be hardest hit.

So which is it ? When a President vetoes a Bill, is it the President's fault or the Congresses fault that the Government shut down ? I guess it depends on Who the Reporters (90% Liberal Democrat) want to blame.


David

clonan
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:16 pm

Post by clonan »

ravingdave wrote:

I remeber THAT's what every single Media outlet kept repeating ad infinitum.


Actually when you take scientific surveys of media personel you find that the reporters are essentially neutral with a slight lean to the left (1-2% more dems than the general population). You find that the editors and media business owners tend to be fairly far RIGHT leaning (20-30% more repubs than the general population). The net effect is that the media is actually biased AGAINST the left. However outlets like Fox news have managed to convince the general public that actually having a source and following traditional non-biased reporting standards is some how Pro-Left.

ravingdave wrote: Here we have again another major example of Media Bias. When Ronald Reagan Vetoed the Budget because it was too large, Every media outlet in America screamed about Reagan shutting down the Government ! They wouldn't shut up about all the bad things that would happen because REAGAN SHUT DOWN THE GOVERNMENT !.


Then, when Bill Clinton Vetoed the budget because Congress was curbing excessive Government spending, the Headlines the Next day was "REPUBLICANS IN CONGRESS SHUT DOWN THE GOVERNMENT" Followed by stories describing how it was the Republicans fault, and that Women and Minorities would be hardest hit.
Read your history. In interviews Newt said that they specifically put "poison pills" in the budget with the intent of forcing Clinton to veto it. Then because of the "grave insult" of being asked to exit with the rest of the congressmen, Newt refused to allow negotiation on thoes issues with the intent of embarrising Clinton. You can hear it in Newts own words.

ravingdave wrote: So which is it ? When a President vetoes a Bill, is it the President's fault or the Congresses fault that the Government shut down ? I guess it depends on Who the Reporters (90% Liberal Democrat) want to blame.


David
The person to blaim is the one without a good reason. Clinton had one. The poison pills that Newt added to call Clinton's bluff and the embarres him. Reagan couldn't articulate a good reason. Plus I don't remember nearly the outrage over Reagan. On the contrary I remember congress getting a LOT of the blame.

MSimon
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Contact:

Post by MSimon »

Actually when you take scientific surveys of media personel you find that the reporters are essentially neutral with a slight lean to the left (1-2% more dems than the general population).
That would mean the population was pretty far left. Who knew? How can Republicans get elected? Why does Pew Research say that America is a right of center country?

==

http://my.mainetoday.com/story.html?ID=1815
……..I came across a study by a UCLA political scientist named Tim Groseclose . In his study he wanted to find out if the media was biased towards either the left or right and then see why they leaned in either direction. According to the “UCLA News”;

These are just a few of the surprising findings from a UCLA-led study, which is believed to be the first successful attempt at objectively quantifying bias in a range of media outlets and ranking them accordingly.

"I suspected that many media outlets would tilt to the left because surveys have shown that reporters tend to vote more Democrat than Republican," said Tim Groseclose, a UCLA political scientist and the study's lead author. "But I was surprised at just how pronounced the distinctions are."

“The researchers took numerous steps to safeguard against bias — or the appearance of same — in the work, which took close to three years to complete. They went to great lengths to ensure that as many research assistants supported Democratic candidate Al Gore in the 2000 election as supported President George Bush. They also sought no outside funding, a rarity in scholarly research.” This from the UCLA News article.

Groseclose went on to say in the study almost all news reporting and news shows were left leaning;

“Of the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 scored left of center, with CBS' "Evening News," The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times ranking second, third and fourth most liberal behind the news pages of The Wall Street Journal. Only Fox News' "Special Report With Brit Hume" and The Washington Times scored right of the average U.S. voter. The most centrist outlet proved to be the "NewsHour With Jim Lehrer." CNN's "NewsNight With Aaron Brown" and ABC's "Good Morning America" were a close second and third.”
http://www.mediaresearch.org/biasbasics/biasbasics3.asp
* 81 percent of the journalists interviewed voted for the Democratic presidential candidate in every election between 1964 and 1976.

* In the Democratic landslide of 1964, 94 percent of the press surveyed voted for President Lyndon Johnson (D) over Senator Barry Goldwater (R).

* In 1968, 86 percent of the press surveyed voted for Democrat Senator Hubert Humphrey.

* In 1972, when 62 percent of the electorate chose President Richard Nixon, 81 percent of the media elite voted for liberal Democratic Senator George McGovern.

* In 1976, the Democratic nominee, Jimmy Carter, captured the allegiance of 81 percent of the reporters surveyed while a mere 19 percent cast their ballots for President Gerald Ford.

* Over the 16-year period, the Republican candidate always received less than 20 percent of the media elite’s vote.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ravingdave
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:41 am

Post by ravingdave »

clonan wrote:
Actually when you take scientific surveys of media personel you find that the reporters are essentially neutral with a slight lean to the left (1-2% more dems than the general population). You find that the editors and media business owners tend to be fairly far RIGHT leaning (20-30% more repubs than the general population). The net effect is that the media is actually biased AGAINST the left. However outlets like Fox news have managed to convince the general public that actually having a source and following traditional non-biased reporting standards is some how Pro-Left.

Seriously ? Are you Serioucly saying such a thing ?

I could show you a MOUNTAIN of evidence refuting every single point and a dozen more you haven't made, but the response would be "Mountain ? What Mountain ? "

Take a gander at NewsBusters, or Media Research Center for starters.

clonan wrote:
ravingdave wrote:
Here we have again another major example of Media Bias. When Ronald Reagan Vetoed the Budget because it was too large, Every media outlet in America screamed about Reagan shutting down the Government ! They wouldn't shut up about all the bad things that would happen because REAGAN SHUT DOWN THE GOVERNMENT !.


Then, when Bill Clinton Vetoed the budget because Congress was curbing excessive Government spending, the Headlines the Next day was "REPUBLICANS IN CONGRESS SHUT DOWN THE GOVERNMENT" Followed by stories describing how it was the Republicans fault, and that Women and Minorities would be hardest hit.

Read your history. In interviews Newt said that they specifically put "poison pills" in the budget with the intent of forcing Clinton to veto it. Then because of the "grave insult" of being asked to exit with the rest of the congressmen, Newt refused to allow negotiation on thoes issues with the intent of embarrising Clinton. You can hear it in Newts own words.
From 1980 to 2000, I was a News Junkie. I read the Newspaper every day, I watched ABC World News Tonight religiously, Ted Kopple/Nightline, Several Magazine Subscriptions, News Letters, Internet (When it became available) etc. There Might have been a person that kept up with the news better than I did, but i've never met such a person.

I Remember what happened, and I remeber it in context.

If you have a quote of Newt Gingrich saying that he put a "Poison Pill " into the Federal Budget, I want to see it.

ravingdave wrote: So which is it ? When a President vetoes a Bill, is it the President's fault or the Congresses fault that the Government shut down ? I guess it depends on Who the Reporters (90% Liberal Democrat) want to blame.


David
clonan wrote: The person to blaim is the one without a good reason. Clinton had one. The poison pills that Newt added to call Clinton's bluff and the embarres him. Reagan couldn't articulate a good reason. Plus I don't remember nearly the outrage over Reagan. On the contrary I remember congress getting a LOT of the blame.
Well let me put it this way. I Disagree. Clinton did not have a good reason, and Reagan did. Reagan's philosophy (and mine) is that our Government is TOO BIG and it spends too much money. With that as your initial starting point, the opportunity to cut any kind of government spending is a good reason.

That being said, the corollary is that Any attempt by anyone (including Republicans) to cut Government spending means they are doing the right thing, and anyone opposed is doing the wrong thing.

Hence, Reagan was right, and Clinton was wrong.

That is of course, My opinion, and it is painfully obvious that many people believe the government isn't yet big enough, and doesn't yet spend enough money, and they have the contrawise opinion.


David

Roger
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:03 am
Location: Metro NY

Post by Roger »

House Speaker Newt Gingrich's gripe that he'd shut down the government in part because Clinton had made him use the back door of Air Force One.

(pre-1997+Fulltext)&desc=GOP+WILL+LOSE+ELECTION+DUE+TO+LACK+OF+GUMPTION&pqatl=google

Pat Schroeder broke House rules to make fun of Newts comments

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q= ... F-8&ned=us



WIKI

Gingrich made a widely-reported complaint in which he implied he'd made the bill tougher because Clinton had ignored him on a flight back from the funeral of Yitzhak Rabin and had made him leave through the back door of the plane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_go ... wn_of_1995


http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... cript.html
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

ravingdave
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:41 am

Post by ravingdave »

Roger wrote:House Speaker Newt Gingrich's gripe that he'd shut down the government in part because Clinton had made him use the back door of Air Force One.

(pre-1997+Fulltext)&desc=GOP+WILL+LOSE+ELECTION+DUE+TO+LACK+OF+GUMPTION&pqatl=google

Pat Schroeder broke House rules to make fun of Newts comments

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q= ... F-8&ned=us



WIKI

Gingrich made a widely-reported complaint in which he implied he'd made the bill tougher because Clinton had ignored him on a flight back from the funeral of Yitzhak Rabin and had made him leave through the back door of the plane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_go ... wn_of_1995


http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... cript.html


I followed all the links and read them. Thorougly at first, but less so as I went through them. If there is a point in them, i'm having difficulty seeing what it is. The first link is a commentary, and supports my assertion that I heard this constantly from the media at the time. The second link is Patricia Schroeders Opinion of Newt, which un suprisingly reflects the same point, the Third Link is a WIKI article which is for the most part accurate to what I recall, but it too eventually repeats the usual claim.

And what is the source of this information ? Why it's Newt Gingrich Himself ! Newt must have woke up one day and said, "Gee, I feel like making myself look like a complete ass, so I'll say that I shut down the government because Clinton dissed me ! "

Pardon me if I find this characterization to be a fabrication along the lines of " from my back door I can SEE Russia" (attributed to Sarah Palin, but actually said by Tina Fey of SNL )

You see, I recall reading what Newt Said at the time, and No, it didn't get on the regular media, I read it from one of my subscriptions. Newt explained that he was trying to discuss the budget crisis with Clinton at the time Clinton ordered him off the plane, thereby wasting an opportunity to resolve the issue. Newt claimed that he was intent on negotiating a resolution in good faith, but Clinton chose to make a political statement instead. Newt's attitude was "so be it."

Of course the Ditch carp media did a tatto dance on Newt, but that's to be expected. They hated him anyway.

While we're at it, try Googleing "Bush lied People died" . This is what I got.
Google wrote:Results 1 - 10 of about 324,000 for Bush Lied people died. (0.36 seconds)

Gee, so many ! Nowadays it seems like the truth is decided by consensus.


In any case, I still don't see any "Poison Pill" quotes. Maybe that's because what some see as "Poison" others see as "antidote."



David

Post Reply