Peer review process not equipped to deal with dishonesty

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Peer review process not equipped to deal with dishonesty

Post by MSimon »

http://www.nonoscience.info/2009/01/17/ ... -internet/

Peer review process is not yet equipped to deal with dishonesty.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

Well that`s really shitty news for the individuals/groups who have to go thru the peer review process to validate their findings. If this is true then the dishonesty would be in saying that the peer review of the process failed, and the originator of the peer review is a nut job(depending on what is being reviewed).

You cannot lie and say that you have duplicated positive results during an experiment, because then youd be caught with the lie when whole communities of scientists want in on the scene.

Jccarlton

Peer review dishonesty

Post by Jccarlton »

I'm not so pessimistic. You do know that there is nothing wrong with using material from other sources so long as you correctly cite them. In engineering and physics you don't want to reinvent the wheel. I don't think that I would ever use wiki for a source unless I had verified from other sources which would make using the wiki pointless. The problem here was the overuse of cut and paste and not citing sources. The peer review process caught the bad paper just like it was supposed to, though I suspect the editor also smelled a rat or he would not insisted that his friend look at the paper with a fresh eye. In a publish or perish atmosphere like physics smart people do really dumb things.