Hey, Look! It's invisible!

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Aero

Hey, Look! It's invisible!

Post by Aero »

New advances in technology, the cloak of invisibility!

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200901 ... T3CG0.html

What will be some of the less obvious uses of this invisibility technology. Military and police applications are obvious, but how about pickpockets, shoplifters and thieves?

Do you think it will be a violation, Driving While Invisible?
Aero

djolds1

Re: Hey, Look! It's invisible!

Post by djolds1 »

Aero wrote:New advances in technology, the cloak of invisibility!

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200901 ... T3CG0.html

What will be some of the less obvious uses of this invisibility technology. Military and police applications are obvious, but how about pickpockets, shoplifters and thieves?

Do you think it will be a violation, Driving While Invisible?
Far more than just a Romulan Cloaking device. Analysis from a friend:

You're thinking WAY too much in the box here guys. We're talking perfect lens that are flat, magnetic fields engineered to within a gnats ass, IC production tools down to 1/1000 of a wavelength, dirt cheap security cameras with perfect depth of field and 360 degrees of view, amazingly efficient laser lens', ... and that's just off the top of my head. As to military cloaking, aircraft will still show up on advanced radar receivers using the same technology as used to find stealth (assuming the stuff is not perfect). I'd think the first place you would see it is for cruise missles. Simple surfaces to work with.

Engineering magnetic fields is of... interest to fusion. 8)

Duane
Vae Victis

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yeah, I have seen that too. Looks interesting, but I am somewhat cautious about their claims. Something that works under some circumstances on some wavelengths in the lab, is still a long time away from practical applications. I too believe that an actual cloaking device will be among the last things this will be used for.