Down side of electric cars?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Aero

Down side of electric cars?

Post by Aero »

People who read my posts know that I am PRO electric vehicles, now. But I wonder what the employment impact might be during the conversion from ICE to EV.

Does anyone have a good basis to estimate the labor content of the automobile internal combustion engine manufacture, compared to the electric motor that replaces it? And does anyone care to speculate about the labor saved (jobs lost) in oil changes and engine/transmission repair bills when cars are all electric?
Aero

clonan

Post by clonan »

Since the Electric vs ICE only covers the power train, all the labor associated with the frame and interior environment will stay the same.

I doubt there will be a huge decrease in labor costs for vehicles.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Aero, are you considering that maybe we should pass on electric cars, or any new technology, if building and supporting them ends up taking less labor, and thus supports fewer jobs?

Aero

Post by Aero »

hanelyp - Not at all - I see the potential to save $400 million per day in oil import costs. I'm just trying to get an idea of what the cost to the U.S. will be to make that savings. Of course, if all of our electric cars are imported, there could result in a very small savings if at all. And if our conversion to electric cars costs the permanent loss of 2 or 3 million jobs in the U.S., then perhaps those jobs need to be replaced in order that the savings be fruitful.

But, by eliminating the oil import costs, we still achieve energy security to a large degree. Others will say, "At what cost energy security?," and that answer is what I'm driving at. It is a technical question, I leave the moral and ethical questions to others more attune to those issues.
Aero

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The hybrid is probably the only viable transition vehicle for now. Esp. the plug in hybrid.

All electrics are probably only for local transport (fleets, individual owners) until high speed charging stations are more widespread.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Roger

Post by Roger »

MSimon wrote: until high speed charging stations are more widespread.
Right, when Polywells are making giga watts in.... say the year, 2050.

And we have new batteries, new grids, new residential electrical services.

But not next year.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

Jeff Peachman

Post by Jeff Peachman »

or if EESTOR works
- Jeff Peachman

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Jeff Peachman wrote:or if EESTOR works
Very soon now.

There is still the charging station problem. The best near term possibility is for the EESTOR to be used in a plug in hybrid or possibly in industrial forklifts.

The all electric vehicle even with long range is limited by charging station availability and the price of electricity.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Aero wrote:hanelyp - Not at all - I see the potential to save $400 million per day in oil import costs. I'm just trying to get an idea of what the cost to the U.S. will be to make that savings.
I don't see a reduction in labor to produce a product as a loss to the economy. I see it as freeing of labor resources to produce more goods and services, thus raising the overall objective standard of living.

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

hanelyp wrote:I don't see a reduction in labor to produce a product as a loss to the economy. I see it as freeing of labor resources to produce more goods and services, thus raising the overall objective standard of living.
It's very hard to convince people of this.

The economy of Wales was for years built on work in the Coal Mines. Generations of Welshmen worked in the pits, with very strong communities around them.

When cheaper coal from elsewhere in the world undermined the economic viability of the pits, Miners fought tooth and nail for twenty years to keep them open.

Now the mines have closed and, paradoxically, the Welsh are economically better off than before. It turns out that they're much better at attracting inward investment than the rest of the UK. The pit communities are smaller but still there - they've become a tourist attraction.

The jobs they clung to so grimly were actually holding them back...
Ars artis est celare artem.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

MSimon wrote:
Very soon now.
Missing their deadlines (again) makes me think EEStor is done.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

scareduck wrote:
MSimon wrote:
Very soon now.
Missing their deadlines (again) makes me think EEStor is done.
I haven't heard any recent news. Care to elaborate? A link maybe?

http://earth2tech.com/2008/12/26/eestor ... s-in-2008/