Media "Control" of the Elections?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Betruger wrote:Yes but that's all because he got the nomination. People allowed this guy with barely any record, any history, to get in. What can you do when your fellow electors are so uncritical? That's the root of it. That's what we're paying for now.

Someone else I argued this with said something that just pissed me off at the time.. The media has zero responsibility to be fair. They're commercial entities. It's up to the consumer to demand quality from the news groups.
It is not the criticality that counts. Americans are plenty critical. They are just misinformed. That is changing.

I've heard that Big Media is responsible for a 15% advantage for Ds. That is shrinking. Little media is nipping at their heels.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Electronics mag at the bars :lol:

Yes, they're critical but not informed.. IOW, effectively not critical.
Big media/small media.. I won't hold my breath for it, but that'd be good news for sure.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Betruger wrote:Those are separate points:
Not releasing the transcripts is no guarantee either way. It could just be that he likes his privacy. .

Good point! The man likes his privacy. That's why he decided to run for President! God only knows, the place where you need to go to guarantee your privacy is the White house! I remember hearing about what the insides of George H.W. Bush's intestinal tract looked like after they stuck an endoscope up his posterior. Yeah, that's the ticket for a man who likes his privacy!

I'm sure Jack Ryan liked his privacy too. (The man Obama Ran Against for the US Senate seat from Illinois.) Obama apparently didn't feel it was appropriate for Jack Ryan to have privacy, so his team somehow managed to get copies of sealed Divorce Records between Jack and Jerry Ryan (of star trek fame) and then splattered all those ugly details all over the media, resulting in Jack Ryan withdrawing from the race, and assuring Obama's Victory.

Private Citizen Obama is entitled to privacy. Elected Official Obama is most assuredly not. Especially when he didn't feel it was appropriate for Private Citizen Jack Ryan.

Betruger wrote: I would. And I also wouldn't want what I'm doing now to be judged with the bias of past performance or mistakes. Let what I do now speak for itself.

Funny, what he's doing now looks an awful lot like what he's done in the past. When he's not doing NOTHING, he's botching every thing he touches. He's just like George Bush, but even more in the wrong direction.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote:
The Fact that he did nothing as editor of the Harvard legal review, and the fact that he did nothing as a State Senator and Nothing as a US Senator, are likewise not indicative of someone who's done nothing all his life, and been rewarded for it anyway.

Oh and his election did positively affect the image of the US in the world. I know you guys dont really give a darn about that, but you should. Even a great nation like the US cant stand by itself all the time and the US is in decline, which means standing allone will only be harder.

I would totally believe that Obama is not a good writer. He is not great a speaker either. I mean, he starts every other sentence with "Yo". That may be appropriate for a rapper from LA, but not for the president of the US.
As I said, Obama would not have been my first choice, but the selection was not too great that time either, one has to say.

The Media people have painted Obama as a Wonderous Super Genius and McCain as an old evil moron. Then they hammered that message over and over. They sent 200 investigators to Wasilla Alaska to dig up dirt and rumor on Sarah Palin, and sent nobody to Chicago to dig into the utter sewer that is obama's friends, associates, and life.

For example, did you know that the Los Angeles times has a video of Obama at a going away party for a financier of Muslim terrorism, (I forget his name) and despite thousands of requests, the LA Times refused to release this video showing Obama Toasting and paling around with this guy?
Did you know that Barack and Michelle Obama are both lawyers ? Did you know that both of them have been Disbarred ?

Of course you didn't. The Media WOULD NOT DIG UP ANY DIRT on this guy. Other people have been doing it, and dirt is STILL coming up!

Skipjack wrote: I mean McCain? Come on! He had never even written an email. How is he supposed to bring economics back on track in a world where a big chunk of the business is in electronics/computers? He also referred to a planetarium projector as an overhead projector, clearly demonstrating lack of knowledge on the matter. Stuff like that just made him seem inadequate.
Funny you should mention that. That was one of the Obama Campaign commercials. (That McCain can't send email or use a computer.) McCain responded in a commercial that this was true. Due to the torture he suffered in Hanoi, his hands can't type, or hold anything for very long. For this reason he has other people send emails for him. The planetarium thing doesn't even show up on the radar of my concern.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:
Betruger wrote:Yes but that's all because he got the nomination. People allowed this guy with barely any record, any history, to get in. What can you do when your fellow electors are so uncritical? That's the root of it. That's what we're paying for now.

Someone else I argued this with said something that just pissed me off at the time.. The media has zero responsibility to be fair. They're commercial entities. It's up to the consumer to demand quality from the news groups.
It is not the criticality that counts. Americans are plenty critical. They are just misinformed. That is changing.

I've heard that Big Media is responsible for a 15% advantage for Ds. That is shrinking. Little media is nipping at their heels.

My Favorite Mark Twain quote is:

" If you don't read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you Do read the newspapers you are misinformed."

Boy did he get THAT right!

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Diogenes wrote:
Betruger wrote:Those are separate points:
Not releasing the transcripts is no guarantee either way. It could just be that he likes his privacy. .
Good point! The man likes his privacy. That's why he decided to run for President! God only knows, the place where you need to go to guarantee your privacy is the White house! I remember hearing about what the insides of George H.W. Bush's intestinal tract looked like after they stuck an endoscope up his posterior. Yeah, that's the ticket for a man who likes his privacy!

I'm sure Jack Ryan liked his privacy too. (The man Obama Ran Against for the US Senate seat from Illinois.) Obama apparently didn't feel it was appropriate for Jack Ryan to have privacy, so his team somehow managed to get copies of sealed Divorce Records between Jack and Jerry Ryan (of star trek fame) and then splattered all those ugly details all over the media, resulting in Jack Ryan withdrawing from the race, and assuring Obama's Victory.

Private Citizen Obama is entitled to privacy. Elected Official Obama is most assuredly not. Especially when he didn't feel it was appropriate for Private Citizen Jack Ryan.
</ad hom>
Where's the law that he has no privacy as Elected Official? Maybe he just likes to buck the trend. What if he has nothing to hide, but just doesn't see any use in answering someone who in his POV is just after digging and stirring things up no matter what, at any cost? Giving you the birdie in a way. Yes I'd possibly do the same if I was in that position. Better things to do.
Betruger wrote: I would. And I also wouldn't want what I'm doing now to be judged with the bias of past performance or mistakes. Let what I do now speak for itself.
Funny, what he's doing now looks an awful lot like what he's done in the past. When he's not doing NOTHING, he's botching every thing he touches. He's just like George Bush, but even more in the wrong direction.[/quote]Argue the specifics, don't just rant. You have to have some substance to the chlorine you're pouring in his pool of BS...

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Diogenes wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
The Fact that he did nothing as editor of the Harvard legal review, and the fact that he did nothing as a State Senator and Nothing as a US Senator, are likewise not indicative of someone who's done nothing all his life, and been rewarded for it anyway.
Oh and his election did positively affect the image of the US in the world. I know you guys dont really give a darn about that, but you should. Even a great nation like the US cant stand by itself all the time and the US is in decline, which means standing allone will only be harder.

I would totally believe that Obama is not a good writer. He is not great a speaker either. I mean, he starts every other sentence with "Yo". That may be appropriate for a rapper from LA, but not for the president of the US.
As I said, Obama would not have been my first choice, but the selection was not too great that time either, one has to say.

The Media people have painted Obama as a Wonderous Super Genius and McCain as an old evil moron. Then they hammered that message over and over. They sent 200 investigators to Wasilla Alaska to dig up dirt and rumor on Sarah Palin, and sent nobody to Chicago to dig into the utter sewer that is obama's friends, associates, and life.

For example, did you know that the Los Angeles times has a video of Obama at a going away party for a financier of Muslim terrorism, (I forget his name) and despite thousands of requests, the LA Times refused to release this video showing Obama Toasting and paling around with this guy?
Did you know that Barack and Michelle Obama are both lawyers ? Did you know that both of them have been Disbarred ?

Of course you didn't. The Media WOULD NOT DIG UP ANY DIRT on this guy.
They have no obligation whatsoever to be impartial.
Other people have been doing it, and dirt is STILL coming up!
To be completely honest, and I'm not trying to be offensive, but if you mean stuff like the student anecdotes and poem and joint pics, it all reads like grandmas' gossip. You wanna take someone down, you take him by the balls. You don't get all red in the face and make a lot of slanderous noise from a distance.
Skipjack wrote: I mean McCain? Come on! He had never even written an email. How is he supposed to bring economics back on track in a world where a big chunk of the business is in electronics/computers? He also referred to a planetarium projector as an overhead projector, clearly demonstrating lack of knowledge on the matter. Stuff like that just made him seem inadequate.
Funny you should mention that. That was one of the Obama Campaign commercials. (That McCain can't send email or use a computer.) McCain responded in a commercial that this was true. Due to the torture he suffered in Hanoi, his hands can't type, or hold anything for very long. For this reason he has other people send emails for him. The planetarium thing doesn't even show up on the radar of my concern.
Which is strange because the planetarium thing is of the same order as the dopey pics and retarded/trippy poetry.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Betruger wrote: They have no obligation whatsoever to be impartial.

No more than human decency.

Betruger wrote:
Diogenes wrote: Other people have been doing it, and dirt is STILL coming up!
To be completely honest, and I'm not trying to be offensive, but if you mean stuff like the student anecdotes and poem and joint pics, it all reads like grandmas' gossip. You wanna take someone down, you take him by the balls. You don't get all red in the face and make a lot of slanderous noise from a distance.
The problem with having tangents to a discussion is that when we go down the tangent, we lose track of the original discussion. My point in posting that other crap is to support the previous point that the man was an idiot, and he didn't want to release any of his school records because the records would reflect that he was an idiot who was solely promoted on the basis of Affirmative Action.
(How DID he pay for college?)

Likewise, another point I'm trying to make is that it is often possible to deduce information which is unseen by carefully considering the information that IS known.

I've already mentioned Sherlock Holmes, but likewise Edgar Allen Poe was said to have solved the case of a grisly murder in France, just by reading the newspaper accounts of the murder weeks later after the newspapers were delivered to him in this country by ship.

He solved the murder before the French Police did, and indeed, they were unable to solve it until he explained it.
The case became an Edgar Allen Poe story called the "The Mystery of Marie Roget" If you are unfamiliar with it. (awesome story)

From time to time, people like myself attempt to figure out the truth of Obama from what we CAN find out without his cooperation. There are a LOT of peculiarities concerning Obama. (Like the fact that his brother lives in poverty in a hut in Kenya, and his Aunt lives in Poverty in Public Housing in Massachusetts. )

When people (Skipjack i.e.) interject some commentary that seems just silly to me,(and basically only intended to be contrarian) sometimes I feel the need to respond to it in a similar manner.

Diogenes wrote: Funny you should mention that. That was one of the Obama Campaign commercials. (That McCain can't send email or use a computer.) McCain responded in a commercial that this was true. Due to the torture he suffered in Hanoi, his hands can't type, or hold anything for very long. For this reason he has other people send emails for him. The planetarium thing doesn't even show up on the radar of my concern.
Betruger wrote:
Which is strange because the planetarium thing is of the same order as the dopey pics and retarded/trippy poetry.
Really? Saying "Planetariums" as opposed to "Planetaria", and not knowing what the latest technology used by Planetaria is the same order as being photographed either smoking a joint or acting like it?

I dare say 95% of Americans wouldn't know any more than John McCain did about "Planetaria", but less than 5% of them have posed for photos (which were to have been published in Time magazine) looking like they were high from smoking a joint.

I don't think they are even remotely close to being of the same order.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

the US is in decline
I have been hearing that for 50 years now (ever since the immediate aftermath of WW2 wore off).

First it was Russia taking over. Then Japan. Now China.

Let me just say this about that. America has another 50 to 100 years to run. And after that we will rule the world. Culturally. Why? Because we know the secret of how to sell culture.

Other countries focus on the high arts. America focuses on mass culture.

What else? American is the lingua franca (heh) of the world. Thanks to our British friends who got the ball rolling with a slightly different language.

Americans and British are one people separated only by a common language - Winston Churchill

http://everything2.com/title/Two+nation ... n+language

In 1887 Wilde wrote: `We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language'.

Good story here about US and Brit Navies.

http://www.lukeswartz.com/belgium/brito ... abroad.htm
Essenhigh found this out when he tried to lay one of his “British” navigation words on the ship’s captain, Cmdr. Michael Franken.

“I said, ‘making a sternboard,’ ” Essenhigh recalled.

Franken was thrown. “What’s a sternboard,” he said. “That’s not a word.”

Essenhigh had to show his skipper the word in a dictionary of British nautical terms. It was an old sailing term retained by the Brits and dropped by the Yanks. “Making a sternboard” means “coming astern.” Essenhigh is outnumbered 350 to one — he now says “coming astern.”

Essenhigh had to watch his language in other instances, too. He can no longer shout out “5 cables” when he really means “1,000 yards.” Or when he wants to turn the ship, he can’t give the order “at wheelover.” No one will know what he’s talking about.

Well, some of the Churchill sailors do. Essenhigh has made some adjustments, but so have some of the other crew members.

“Like QM1 here,” Essenhigh said. “He’s practically bilingual. He understands me now.”
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Time Magazine Links Austin Suicide Pilot To Tea Party Movement

Then, after the third paragraph which concluded, "Toward the end of what appears to be his final note, Stack wrote, 'Well, Mr. Big Brother IRS man, let's try something different; take my pound of flesh and sleep well,'" the folks at time advertised the following article by the magazine with a hyperlink highlighted in yellow:

The man is a religion hating, George W. Bush hating, communism advocating, capitalist hating nutjob.

He is a leftwing nut, but of course the Media is portraying him as a rightwing "teabagger."

They do this every time.(remember the Holocaust Museum shooter? Same thing. Left wing Nutjob) They seldom correct themselves, they never apologize, and they influence the public mind and thereby influence the public elections.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-shepp ... ea-parties

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Really? Saying "Planetariums" as opposed to "Planetaria", and not knowing what the latest technology used by Planetaria is the same order as being photographed either smoking a joint or acting like it?
It is relevant since McCain made it a topic for his election. It was his choice. I think if someone makes someone a topic for the presidential campaign, he should at least know that a Zeiss planetarium projector is not just some "expensive overhead projector". That was my gripe with it. Otherwise I would have forgiven him that without wasting a second thought. But it was HIS choice for a topic.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Yeah but Planteria are just some "expensive overhead projector". Or they could be worms. Or our elected representatives.

I hope I have offended everyone concerned.

http://www.bali.org.uk/news_events/news/113

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Diogenes wrote:
Betruger wrote: They have no obligation whatsoever to be impartial.
No more than human decency.

Can't tell if that's an agreement or counter argument.
Betruger wrote:
Diogenes wrote: Other people have been doing it, and dirt is STILL coming up!
The problem with having tangents to a discussion is that when we go down the tangent, we lose track of the original discussion. My point in posting that other crap is to support the previous point that the man was an idiot, and he didn't want to release any of his school records because the records would reflect that he was an idiot who was solely promoted on the basis of Affirmative Action.
(How DID he pay for college?)
Sure, but it all comes up to a big pile of conjecture. Gathered by a biased investigator. You can't credibly "connect the dots" that way.
Likewise, another point I'm trying to make is that it is often possible to deduce information which is unseen by carefully considering the information that IS known.

I've already mentioned Sherlock Holmes, but likewise Edgar Allen Poe was said to have solved the case of a grisly murder in France, just by reading the newspaper accounts of the murder weeks later after the newspapers were delivered to him in this country by ship.

He solved the murder before the French Police did, and indeed, they were unable to solve it until he explained it.
The case became an Edgar Allen Poe story called the "The Mystery of Marie Roget" If you are unfamiliar with it. (awesome story)
And one rule to that method is that you don't assume you're right till you actually open the box and actually see confirmation - a dead or living cat.

From time to time, people like myself attempt to figure out the truth of Obama from what we CAN find out without his cooperation. There are a LOT of peculiarities concerning Obama. (Like the fact that his brother lives in poverty in a hut in Kenya, and his Aunt lives in Poverty in Public Housing in Massachusetts. )
Occam's razor could say that he's just an asshole that way.

When people (Skipjack i.e.) interject some commentary that seems just silly to me,(and basically only intended to be contrarian) sometimes I feel the need to respond to it in a similar manner.
One-upping is still just beating around the bush. Why bother with that kinda tit for tat? Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Planetaria thing - Skipjack said what I think.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Betruger wrote: Planetaria thing - Skipjack said what I think.

This Statement has convinced me that i'm wasting your time.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

I didn't see the point in a mostly redundant post. I think you're cop-ing out of this discussion.