Which fusion has the most chancess for success?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:
93143 wrote:...I suppose using two separate feed gases might do it, depending on the ratio between fusion rate and loss rate...
For one thing the hazardous material restrictions get expensive for the boranes.

Keep it simple. Keep it cheap. Don't invite weekly inspections.
To 93143: I agree, two feed gasses.

To MSimon: Have you used the miniscule amounts discussed in a massive industrial scale before? Seems a trivial proportional expense to me. But I've never done it. Have you?

Brian H

Boranes

Post by Brian H »

Decaborane (B10H14) is solid up to 100°C, boils at 213°C. That's what's being planned for Focus Fusion, and safety control isn't expected to be much of a problem; it's only a gas while in the (small, sealed, vacuum) plasma chamber. Not sure what the fate of the extra 4 Hs will be, though! :)
Help Keep the Planet Green! Maximize your CO2 and CH4 Output!
Global Warming = More Life. Global Cooling = More Death.

chrismb

Re: Boranes

Post by chrismb »

Brian H wrote:Decaborane (B10H14) is solid up to 100°C, boils at 213°C. That's what's being planned for Focus Fusion, and safety control isn't expected to be much of a problem; it's only a gas while in the (small, sealed, vacuum) plasma chamber. Not sure what the fate of the extra 4 Hs will be, though! :)
Doesn't it react significantly exothermically from just airborne humidity, though?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

To MSimon: Have you used the miniscule amounts discussed in a massive industrial scale before? Seems a trivial proportional expense to me. But I've never done it. Have you?
No. But I keep up with the literature. And I'm not talking industrial use. I'm suggesting that vaporizing B11 would be cheaper for small experiments.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Brian H

Re: Boranes

Post by Brian H »

chrismb wrote:
Brian H wrote:Decaborane (B10H14) is solid up to 100°C, boils at 213°C. That's what's being planned for Focus Fusion, and safety control isn't expected to be much of a problem; it's only a gas while in the (small, sealed, vacuum) plasma chamber. Not sure what the fate of the extra 4 Hs will be, though! :)
Doesn't it react significantly exothermically from just airborne humidity, though?
No; Wiki:
Like organic compounds, decaborane is highly flammable, but, like other boron hydrides, it burns with a bright green flame. It is not sensitive to moist air, although it hydrolyzes in boiling water, releasing hydrogen and giving a solution of boric acid. It is soluble in cold water as well as a variety of non-polar and moderately polar solvents.
Help Keep the Planet Green! Maximize your CO2 and CH4 Output!
Global Warming = More Life. Global Cooling = More Death.