The path to world peace

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:
More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws, Third Edition (Studies in Law and Economics) John R. Lott
So it is a book written by someone, full of facts, or not...
He may just as well be working for the NRA, hell if I know.
Ah. Set your prejudices by the door and do some research. There is this really newfangled thing called a "search engine" where you can enter names and subjects and actually learn about people and things.

And Mr. Lott? Well he was once upon a time a believer in severe gun ownership restrictions. And then being an economist he actually did the research.......

Your lack of curiosity is disturbing.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

My lack of time. And... he could still be bought.
Also, going by your logic, Austria should be drowning in crime of all sorts.
This is not the case, however.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:
My lack of time. And... he could still be bought.
Project much? So I can assume you are bought then?

Why don't you find out about the guy instead of casting aspersions?

The research indicates how it works in America.

One thing we do know for sure. Genocide is usually an act of the armed against the unarmed.

Second. What was the Japanese opinion re: invading the continental USA during WW2? "We would find a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Isoroku Yamamoto Translation from the Japanese: "Bad idea."

Americans having fun
Last edited by MSimon on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Dude, dont talk to me about prejudices...
LOL

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:Dude, dont talk to me about prejudices...
LOL
I call them as they are exposed.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Whatever...

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

I would like to respond to some of the comments in this thread, but I cannot think of an inoffensive way to do it. :)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

If I recall correctly, Charles Murray asserted that if you take the minorities out of the crime statistics, Crime in the USA is lower than any country in Europe.
So who exactly are the "Minorities" these days anyway? I think the 2010 Census Demographics will be interesting to review...

This whole thread keeps making me think of cliches.

To sum up what Tom L. wrote above, I tend to simplify, and apply it all around the world. I say the right answer is "Give them something better to do, and they'll stop doing the things you don't want them to."

But to be clear, I am also a proponent of gun ownership, as well as very much against an out of control profit based legal system where you can be sued by the guy that breaks into your home because he cut his hand on the broken glass and he wins. Victims rights are just as important if not more so than perp's rights. The system in the west is clearly in favor of the perp's these days.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Diogenes wrote:I would like to respond to some of the comments in this thread, but I cannot think of an inoffensive way to do it. :)
Don't let that stop you.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

as well as very much against an out of control profit based legal system where you can be sued by the guy that breaks into your home because he cut his hand on the broken glass and he wins. Victims rights are just as important if not more so than perp's rights. The system in the west is clearly in favor of the perp's these days.
There we are in full agreement!
I would actually say that the victims rights are more important than the perps rights, but that may be inpractical in real life (though I am not sure about that).

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

MSimon wrote:
Diogenes wrote:I would like to respond to some of the comments in this thread, but I cannot think of an inoffensive way to do it. :)
Don't let that stop you.
as long as retribution in the same way is allowed...

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:
Don't let that stop you.
I've bashed skipjack enough already, and I don't think any amount of bashing on Aces High will do any good. All I can do is shake my head sadly...

:)

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

And post THIS.

An absolutely provable reduction in crime through the use of guns in private hands.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

As I said, how do you prevent the whole thing getting out of hand, if there is no neutral authority to keep the order?
You will have a law less society where the one with the biggest guns gets his way. How can that be desirable?

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote:As I said, how do you prevent the whole thing getting out of hand, if there is no neutral authority to keep the order?
You will have a law less society where the one with the biggest guns gets his way. How can that be desirable?

You are describing human life.