There Have been Some Complaints

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

alexjrgreen wrote:
ravingdave wrote:All roads lead to Rome." ? You sound like an Italian traffic engineer. What, you don't like the roads here in America? Are Italian roads somehow better?
Rome, GA...
'lead' as in "leed" or "led", past or present tense? It was an incredibly clever foresighted roman word play, don't you think - especially considering english and the equivalent translations hadn't evolved by then!!

(today's useless comment drift!.. sigh!)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I admit that I have not thoroughly researched the physics of Polywell because if they don't work I feel as though I have wasted my effort. AGW is a light hobby that takes little of my time. Learning everything about Polywell will take months if not years and if it doesn't work probably won't be applicable to my daily life.
Well there you have it. Each has our own area of concentration.

I put the years of effort in to understand Polywell and enough physics to be able to do the engineering. And it took me a year of nearly daily effort to get properly up to speed.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I think that is one reason banning politics may not be ideal here, since the vast majority are of one inclination, and basically have a monopoly on what goes on.
Let me add that in the back of the minds of the founders was an effort to have a cadre of trained engineers and scientists so that if/when roll out time came there would not be a an insurmountable labor bottleneck.

That purpose has been accomplished. So now we while away our time with politics and bringing up to speed those that want to do the science/engineering. Haven't seen many of those lately. Sadly.

And if Polywell does work? More engineers will come in and non-political sites can take up the effort. Heck - DU even covers it.

When there was just NASA SpaceFlight I used to tell folk to take politics to Power and Control.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Jccarlton

Post by Jccarlton »

Josh Cryer wrote:ravingdave, not get rid of it just take it out of "View new posts since last visit." If you were to go in to "General" you would find unread topics happily highlighted.

(I personally never use this feature anyway, I go by the icons.)

And MSimon, if there were a no-politics rule then you'd have a far more diverse array of individuals. You just wouldn't know that you're surrounded by people who disagree with you politically. On my site we have every spectrum. So glad I banned politics.
Why did you not include a link to your site so we can judge for ourselves.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Josh,

A diverse array of individuals is a nice idea if we wanted the place cluttered up with insanity (look at the recent DU thread here).

What I'm interested in is a diverse array of engineers. And for that the political tone is no impediment.

On the right - comfort. On the left - used to it by now.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

One other thing.

Ordinary folks don't do economics or math.

And I'm not talking partial differentials. Just BOE stuff. Add, Subtract, Multiply, Divide.

And what part of economics are they weakest at? Logistics.

All the above are critical to any competent engineer.

Or like that idiot we had a while back who spent 5 or ten pages complaining about my moderation when it was explained to him over and over that I don't moderate (in the conventional sense).

What a waste. He could have been discussing politics. It would have been a step up. He went away after a while so that is something.