How very smart people can believe very weird things.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

MSimon wrote:
chrismb wrote:Whereas the government seems to think that their possession of something is ownership, yet they regard an individuals ownership as not guaranteeing possession!!
Strange country you live in.

Ownership is basic. Government is instituted to prevent squabbling.
I felt I was talking about the US as well. Otherwise, perhaps someone could provide a good, simple explanation of how they saw fit to fill the pockets of bankers with billions of tax payers money, even though those bankers were the only ones who could have ever been responsible for the 'value' of the markets.

How many tax payers in your country felt that that was the way to go with their money?

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

My three year old definitely understands both possession and ownership.

As an example, he asked for a drink of my soda. I let him have a drink, and when he placed it back on the table I went to get a drink as well. He complained that it was his soda. I explained it was mine, but that I let him have a drink, and he accepted this and let me drink it without further complaint. When my wife tried to take a drink next, however, my son yelled at her, "No! That's Daddy's drink!" Definitely an understanding of ownership and that possession does not equal ownership.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

rcain wrote:
MSimon wrote:"Concentration of wealth is a natural result of concentration of ability, and recurs in history. The rate of concentration varies (other factors being equal) with the economic freedom permitted by morals and the law... democracy, allowing the most liberty, accelerates it. -- Will and Ariel Durant
...no.

Concentration of wealth is a natural result of concentration of POWER (to concentrate wealth)... That is the 'ability', none other.
Both of you are wrong. Wealth condensation is a spontaneous systems process that simply happens. Ability is not a factor, and institutions of power are after the fact structures that evolve to protect the wealth randomly accrued.
Vae Victis

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

chrismb wrote:
MSimon wrote:
chrismb wrote:Whereas the government seems to think that their possession of something is ownership, yet they regard an individuals ownership as not guaranteeing possession!!
Strange country you live in.

Ownership is basic. Government is instituted to prevent squabbling.
I felt I was talking about the US as well. Otherwise, perhaps someone could provide a good, simple explanation of how they saw fit to fill the pockets of bankers with billions of tax payers money, even though those bankers were the only ones who could have ever been responsible for the 'value' of the markets.

How many tax payers in your country felt that that was the way to go with their money?
Well why didn't you say so.

I have a post up on that very subject:

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... ution.html

Watch the video. The IRS is in there.

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

MSimon wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:Oh goody!! Another useless political arguement. :P
I thought it was an economics argument.
"Economics" is an abbreviation of "political economy" - literally "city-state household management". Aristotle makes a distinction between household management and wealth acquisition (Politics, Book I, Chapters 8-11).
Ars artis est celare artem.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

krenshala wrote:My three year old definitely understands both possession and ownership.
Just to show why this legal [but very expensive and very real] pedantery isn't for the faint-hearted adult, let alone a child, consider patents: The process of being awarded a patent comes down to an individual being prepared to release into the public domain their idea. (They don't have to do that, they could keep the idea to themselves and not tell anyone.)

The essence of the principle of patents is for public ownership and benefit. The return to the inventor is a grant of an exclusive, executive possession of the right to exploit the idea, but NOT *ownership* of the idea. The invention now becomes public domain and the inventor becomes an assignee, not an owner.

Confused? Well, you should be!.... A "patent" is a commissioning declaration by a monarch and harks back to the time when you gave your idea to a monarch and if he was sufficiently pleased with you then he might commission you to work the idea [for him] as a monopoly.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

chrismb wrote:Confused? Well, you should be!.... A "patent" is a commissioning declaration by a monarch and harks back to the time when you gave your idea to a monarch and if he was sufficiently pleased with you then he might commission you to work the idea [for him] as a monopoly.
While I've always understood how patents worked, I know my son would just say, "Its mine!" if you tried to tell that bit. :?

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

A formal witness convention, not monarchy.

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

Betruger wrote:A formal witness convention, not monarchy.
Letters patent (pl. letters patent; litterae patentes) are a type of legal instrument in the form of an open letter issued by a monarch or government, granting an office, right, monopoly, title, or status to a person or to some entity such as a corporation. ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letters_patent

jmc

Post by jmc »

Thinking about a positive real return on capital resulting in wealth condensation...

I wonder whether contraception increases wealth condensation. After all even if there was a real positive return on capital, without contraception and with a breeding wealthy class, the return on capital per person could still remain stable across generation if a higher proportion of the children of the rich survived than the children of the poor.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

alexjrgreen wrote:
Letters patent (pl. letters patent; litterae patentes) are a type of legal instrument in the form of an open letter issued by a monarch or government, granting an office, right, monopoly, title, or status to a person or to some entity such as a corporation. ...

That's the origin. I'm talking about today.

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

Betruger wrote:
alexjrgreen wrote:

That's the origin. I'm talking about today.
Some of us still live in a monarchy...

(Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Sweden, UK...)

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

I was referring to the historic meaning of 'patent' rather than the current. Obviously, words can loose and/or take on extra meanings during their life.

Back to the subject of 'ownership' - if I have [bought] a DVD of a film which is now out of copyright that has encrypted video files on it and I use DVD Shrink, or similar, to back up that disc onto a blank DVD, I have a) copied none of the original data (as I have changed it, removing the encryption) nor b) infringed copyright as no-one can now 'own' the original film material. Do I, therefore, now 'own' the specific data on that backup disc, seeing as I have generated it uniquely with my own computer? Indeed, could I even sell it and claim copyright for it?!

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

chrismb wrote:I was referring to the historic meaning of 'patent' rather than the current. Obviously, words can loose and/or take on extra meanings during their life.

Back to the subject of 'ownership' - if I have [bought] a DVD of a film which is now out of copyright that has encrypted video files on it and I use DVD Shrink, or similar, to back up that disc onto a blank DVD, I have a) copied none of the original data (as I have changed it, removing the encryption) nor b) infringed copyright as no-one can now 'own' the original film material. Do I, therefore, now 'own' the specific data on that backup disc, seeing as I have generated it uniquely with my own computer? Indeed, could I even sell it and claim copyright for it?!
Copyright Term Extension Act

Film copyright in the European Union

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

alexjrgreen wrote:
chrismb wrote:I was referring to the historic meaning of 'patent' rather than the current. Obviously, words can loose and/or take on extra meanings during their life.

Copyright Term Extension Act

Film copyright in the European Union
...and what is your interpretation of what these say?...