Models Suitable for Display

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Ladajo,

That sounds like a good bet. Almost any waterbased paint or coating would confer some protection of the foam from the solvents common in metallic paints. These foam cores typically have a skin that can almost tolerate a light spray even without help, although pitting is a likely outcome.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Tom,
I was about to recommend fiber-reinforcement of the toroids, but that would be an unwelcome diversion for someone who wants to build a working model!
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

10 cm Atomic Fusion Wibblefall:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/318925/a ... tml?gid=mg

in Black strong-and-flexible: $131!

in Black detail $207

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

And the limited data set is complete with a lovely parabolic relationship between model diameter and price:

I'm tempted, but not that tempted, to see how things go with an interval of 25mm.

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

If one wishes to see the Platonic ideal of a working machine, how about this?

The lengths of the spikes are such the core can be in the center of the rings if the bottom "spike" is trimmed.

If anyone is interested, I'd even put in the cusps located directly between each ring pair. :D

R. Peters

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

rjaypeters wrote:If anyone is interested, I'd even put in the cusps located directly between each ring pair. :D
You are really tempting me :D

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Giorgio wrote:I am asking on i.materialise.com, let's see if the price is sensibly different or not.
What about the titanium?

re Platonic Ideal: I'm curious if what I designed above is printable. I won't submit the design until I've added the ring-pair cusps since Giorgio seems interested.

It might work better to let the customer assemble parts.

R. Peters

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

rjaypeters wrote:What about the titanium?
I am still waiting for a quotation from them as Titanium quotation is not available online.

By the way, I just noticed that the 20 cm model you uploaded on shapeways is 15,2 cm.
http://www.shapeways.com/model/317836/

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

I think you need to increase the gaps between magrid coils a smidge.

Also, standard nubs would provide less intercept area, in a better-shielded zone.

I'd prefer wall-mounting the coils, but the Shapeways price for adding chamber and supports would be through the roof.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Giorgio wrote:By the way, I just noticed that the 20 cm model you uploaded on shapeways is 15,2 cm.
That's what I get for doing things in a hurry! If we decide to go this way, I'll be sure to give full measure across the rings.

Besides wasn't the price high enough?

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

DeltaV wrote:I'd prefer wall-mounting the coils, but the Shapeways price for adding chamber and supports would be through the roof.
So would I. I started to design wall-mounts for the coils, but stopped because I think they would detract from what we want to see.

I have thought of using anti-nubs to connect the rings together:

But I will probably go with two small cylindrical connectors per ring pair with the cusp leakage coming out between the cylinders and the ring-close approach. So you, sort-of, get your wish.

Also, the core and cusp leaks will probably be customer-assembled so the ring-close-approach leaks can be inserted skinny end from the inside of the rings and then attached to the core piece. So I'll be asking the Shapeways forum for advice or experimenting on ball-stud connectors to get things just right.

For how many may we sign you up? 15 cm or 20? BTW, I'm not making any money off these (what am I saying!) so it's not like your hard-earned money is supporting a bad cause. :)

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Like this:

Now for the core.

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

With cusp leaks:

R. Peters

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

rjaypeters wrote:Besides wasn't the price high enough?
It was, i just wanted to advise you in case you wanted to fix your relationship between model diameter and price. :wink:
I had a quick chat with someone from i.materialise.com and I think that their quotation for the titanium will be on the level of several thousands dollars.

I started to enquiry for a kidney sale at my local hospital.... :D

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Almost there:

R. Peters