Infrastructure Reforms

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

seedload

Post by seedload »

Skipjack wrote:
I have no doubt you know someone in this sort of position, but I also have no doubt you and/or she concocted this paranoid delusion, attributing actions and motives to others with no evidence for such, because you're batty.
Her direct superior told her that his superiors were planing to do that and that he was fighting it right now. I know that the medical part of the story is 100% true. I know that her bosses dont allow her to go back to work unless she gets the go ahead from the doctor in the hospital (which is unfortunately not her regular doctor). She is struggling getting that right now. The story is pretty coherent. It is not my or her fault that her bosses are obviously oblivious to the legal situation. This is why I suggested to her to go to court, if they really fire her. The fact that they are even considering it though is already quite angering to me and symptomatic for what is wrong with this system.
I don't think it indicates anything is wrong with the system, but that something is wrong with her bosses. The part about her not returning to work without a medical OK is completely legitimate. Otherwise, these people are acting outside of the system.
Stick the thing in a tub of water! Sheesh!

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Ah, very cool but totally different then I had assumed before. I don't know why, but I had the impression that you did 3D art, possibly for games. I have been dabbling in games for a bit as a hobby while I do real work full time. For a second, I thought we had some common ground:)
Well, in my very long carreer, I actually did in game art for a while too. Also did cutscenes for some games. I like game development and I hope that one day I can get back into it (but on my own terms, which means I need $$$). I still like doing some game dev related things as a hobby (though my time is very limited). E.g. I have been playing a lot with Unity3D lately. My current job involves writing shaders in HLSL, btw...

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I don't think it indicates anything is wrong with the system, but that something is wrong with her bosses.
Well if the system causes people to think like that, then something is wrong with it, no?
In Austria noone would even consider such a possibility. It is completely unheard of and Austria has up to two years of maternity leave.

seedload

Post by seedload »

Skipjack wrote:
I don't think it indicates anything is wrong with the system, but that something is wrong with her bosses.
Well if the system causes people to think like that, then something is wrong with it, no?
In Austria noone would even consider such a possibility. It is completely unheard of and Austria has up to two years of maternity leave.
I think it is pretty universal that some people think outside the law.
Stick the thing in a tub of water! Sheesh!

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I think it is pretty universal that some people think outside the law.
yes, but in Austria, there is no motivation for them to do so (in cases like these).

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

seedload wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
And obviously the crackpot who made up this story is not familiar with COBRA, the US laws about maternity leave, job protection, etc. It's just another example of Skippy's ignorance and imagination run amuck. And telling someone to sue their employer for wrongful termination, before there's been a termination. . .now that's flat out crazy.
She is a friend of mine, you asshole! And the story is true!
Skip,

The part about her potentially losing the baby because she loses coverage can't possibly be true. Please suggest to her to learn about COBRA.

Otherwise, I hope she and her baby do well.

Best of luck.
Never been on cobra have you....

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Skipjack wrote:
Ah, very cool but totally different then I had assumed before. I don't know why, but I had the impression that you did 3D art, possibly for games. I have been dabbling in games for a bit as a hobby while I do real work full time. For a second, I thought we had some common ground:)
Well, in my very long carreer, I actually did in game art for a while too. Also did cutscenes for some games. I like game development and I hope that one day I can get back into it (but on my own terms, which means I need $$$). I still like doing some game dev related things as a hobby (though my time is very limited). E.g. I have been playing a lot with Unity3D lately. My current job involves writing shaders in HLSL, btw...
my friend is doing some stuff with unity3d
www.digiacom.com

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Skipjack wrote:
Oh, sorry, I thought this was a health insurance discussion.
The Pregnancy Discrimination Act and the Family Medical Leave Act do.
Yes it is, but all this is the result of the whole health insurance mess and the resulting law suits and other unnecessary crap that happens. That was the point I was trying to make.
Well the way it came across is your common "things are so much better in Austria" crap. The woman who's story you told is protected by law here and there's nothing anyone can do if she gets a wrongful termination until she gets one. All we can do is make the laws to protect people and we have.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Well the way it came across is your common "things are so much better in Austria" crap.
Which is of course a gross missrepresentation of what I said, but that is typical for you!

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

MDs in Austria dont make that much, but they also havent spent hundreds of thousands of USDs on their education. . .
But, in Austria we have very few lawsuits like that. In the US a lot of people sue in order to get out of their impossible to pay healthcare bills and there is a no market for all these (disgusting) lawyers that make money out of this. . .
Here is a story about the flaws of this system. . .Something like this is completely unheard of in Austria. If your doctor says that you stay home, you stay home and your are protected by several savety nets.
News flash asshole, doctors are the ones who make the call here too.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

News flash asshole, doctors are the ones who make the call here too.
Yes, that was my point, moron!

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

my friend is doing some stuff with unity3d
www.digiacom.com
Unity is fun! I havent had that much fun with a 3D software (in the broadest sense) since LightWave 5.6.

Teahive

Post by Teahive »

ladajo wrote:
Teahive wrote:
ladajo wrote:As for Education costs. Yes they are high. I would posit it is education with a more than healthy dose of indemnity costs. Medical Practice Insurance is simply silly these days. It is also a result of the "Free Stuff" mentality. After all, lawsuits are free! "We can take them for millions..."
Just ask the stupid ghit who sued McDonald's over spilling hot coffee in the drive through. Or the families of the LA Bank Robbers who sued the city for letting the police shoot their men but not run out and provide medical care or pick them up during the machine gun fight where multiple cops had been shot. Idiocy. All of it.
Idiocy indeed, but it doesn't make sense to blame the failings of a flawed/gamed legal system on "free stuff mentality".
I am arguing that it is the "Free Stuff" mentality that creates the market for the Lawyers. The gaming of the system is predicated on the desire to game, and the ability to do so. Those that design the rules have a tendancy to build in "Free Stuff" based thinking for clauses and exceptions. It all amounts to providing the ability to take money from others, not necessarily those responsible for wrong doing. "Go ahead and sue, I am insured"
I have concerns and issues with the entire insurance industry and what it has become in regards to being another social wealth redistribution tool.
Then that "free stuff mentality" is simply called "greed". I thought you were referring to something slightly different.

Ultimately the system is obviously a product of those who created it, but I'd argue that it's also the system itself that promotes gaming it.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I think there is a distinct differnce between 'Greed' and 'Free Stuff' thinking. In my mind it revolves around who pays for it and how/why it is gotten.
In 'Greed', folks take more than they need from others, and don't care so much if they or others pay. In 'Free Stuff' folks demand things as a right from others and refuse to pay, because someone else should.
And yes, 'Free Stuff' mindset can be mixed with 'Greed'.

Think of a Buffet Restaraunt. A Greedy person will pay his money, and then gorge. A Free Stuff person will want to eat for free, or at a minimum at some sort of discount, and will also gorge. A normal person will pay without thought, and eat a relatively normal meal, and if they overeat, will feel regret about it.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I think that for some reason people have the opinion that money is worth more than work...
If someone wants adequate money for their work, it is NOT free stuff mentality.
This is the problem with modern society (not just in the US, but also in Europe and YES also in Austria), money means status and it does not seem to matter how the money was aquired even. The really worrying trend lately is however that it seems that money not only means status, it also means "right". So whoever has got the money, no matter how it was aquired is right. I dont like that idea.