Harry Harrison has died.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Harry Harrison has died.

Post by Diogenes »

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

paperburn1

Re: Harry Harrison has died.

Post by paperburn1 »

Diogenes

Re: Harry Harrison has died.

Post by Diogenes »

paperburn1 wrote:
:(

Loved his books. Especially "Bill the Galactic Hero."

The Stainless Steel Rat is actually someone whom I had always looked upon as a good role model.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Another old guy I won't get to meet in person. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've now decided some reorganization of my con trips next year is in order. Need to see about meeting as many of the older sci-fi and fantasy authors as I can. A good number of them are dead, but this is like the third I've seen in the last couple of years that I really wanted to meet. Need to look at con schedules.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I really enjoy the Rat series. A fun one to revisit on occasion.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

kunkmiester wrote:Another old guy I won't get to meet in person. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've now decided some reorganization of my con trips next year is in order. Need to see about meeting as many of the older sci-fi and fantasy authors as I can. A good number of them are dead, but this is like the third I've seen in the last couple of years that I really wanted to meet. Need to look at con schedules.
It is a regret that I have been recently having as well.

Ray Bradbury died a short time ago. There are a LOT of my favorite authors who have died, and I had hoped for a chance to meet them someday. I feel ya man.

Jerry Pournelle is still alive and generating commentary from his "Chaos Manor."
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:I really enjoy the Rat series. A fun one to revisit on occasion.

I am serious when I say I regarded "Slippery Jim" DeGriz as a role model. I have tried to inject as much of his methods and philosophy into my life as I thought I could get away with. :)
— Lord Melbourne —

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Gully Foyle is my name: And Terra is my nation: Deep space is my dwelling place: And death's my destination.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

The Rat is a good role model, as long as one remembers to add the non-aggression principle: First, do no harm. Despite not liking killing, Jim was very loose with this in other ways, since most of his crimes involved stealing in so many ways.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

DR.ZARKOF

RELEVANCE OF HARRY HARRISON'S WORK

Post by DR.ZARKOF »

For people like us who hope to see a revolutionary technology change the world the writings of Harry Harrison are a must read. I have in mind particularly his novel The Daleth Effect. In the story, an Israeli physicist discovers an anomaly in the force of gravity that leads to a reactionless propulsion drive. He realizes the military applications of his discovery and spends the rest of the book trying to ensure that it is used for the benefit of mankind and not it's destruction. When you consider that a working Polywell reactor could be a cheap neutron source for the transmutation of U238 into Plutonium, you must make plans for the possibility of virtually every nation and corporation on earth joining the nuclear weapons club. If I were in charge of preventing this nightmare scenario I would fake the experimental results to show that Polywell fusion is impractical. Then I would develop it in secret until I could spring it upon the world from a position of unassailable economic and military superiority. Just something to keep in mind as we wait for news from the lab.

MSimon

Re: RELEVANCE OF HARRY HARRISON'S WORK

Post by MSimon »

DR.ZARKOF wrote:For people like us who hope to see a revolutionary technology change the world the writings of Harry Harrison are a must read. I have in mind particularly his novel The Daleth Effect. In the story, an Israeli physicist discovers an anomaly in the force of gravity that leads to a reactionless propulsion drive. He realizes the military applications of his discovery and spends the rest of the book trying to ensure that it is used for the benefit of mankind and not it's destruction. When you consider that a working Polywell reactor could be a cheap neutron source for the transmutation of U238 into Plutonium, you must make plans for the possibility of virtually every nation and corporation on earth joining the nuclear weapons club. If I were in charge of preventing this nightmare scenario I would fake the experimental results to show that Polywell fusion is impractical. Then I would develop it in secret until I could spring it upon the world from a position of unassailable economic and military superiority. Just something to keep in mind as we wait for news from the lab.
Too late.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.