Sell The Whitehouse to Trump

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Tom Ligon

Re: Sell The Whitehouse to Trump

Post by Tom Ligon »

(deleted double post)
Last edited by Tom Ligon on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

hanelyp wrote:
Tom Ligon wrote:Hillary's got an e-mail scandal, not rising to the level of criminal indictment, but enough to get a State Department employee fired or barred from handling classified information.
ARE YOU KIDDING?????!!!!!
The facts related by the FBI are more than enough to indite on multiple felony counts. Just not one particular count that the left wing filters seem to be focusing on. And that's with what is coming to have every appearance of not conducting a serious investigation with intent to prosecute if facts supported it. Witnesses likely complicit in the misdeeds interviewed in series, allowing them to compare notes and get their story straight. FAILURE to record the interview of the primary suspect. We can only imagine what additional criminal counts might be supported if the investigation was conducted properly.

The FACT is we have an unindicted FELON running for president on the democrat ticket, with a great many in that party complicit in the same offenses.
I'd say we have TWO unindicted felons running for office. Neither one speaks for me. All I can do is voice my disapproval of both and hope that both parties improve. Sure, that might be a total fantasy, but its all I've got. Me and a few million other Americans with a brain and a conscience.

I'd be delighted with President Ryan. Its not that the Republicans didn't have some good candidates. It that they somehow managed to chose the worst possible candidate, a person who is 100% ego, so stuck up on how great he thinks he is that he thinks it is a good thing that he's been essentially endorsed by Kim Jong-un and Putin.

williatw

Post by williatw »

Tom Ligon wrote:I'd say we have TWO unindicted felons running for office. Neither one speaks for me. All I can do is voice my disapproval of both and hope that both parties improve. Sure, that might be a total fantasy, but its all I've got. Me and a few million other Americans with a brain and a conscience.

You mean one Unindicted felon (Hillary). The fraud case against Trump vis a vie Trump University my understanding is being allowed to proceed. That is the point he isn't skirting like Hillary is.
Tom Ligon wrote:I'd be delighted with President Ryan. Its not that the Republicans didn't have some good candidates. It that they somehow managed to chose the worst possible candidate, a person who is 100% ego, so stuck up on how great he thinks he is that he thinks it is a good thing that he's been essentially endorsed by Kim Jong-un and Putin.
I wouldn't say "delighted" about President Ryan; but them I am a life long Democrat as far as presidential elections is concerned. Accepting 2012 when I voted for Gary Johnson; I would be delighted if I thought he had a change to be prez. As for Trump's ego, don't care as long as he delivers results. He is he only major party candidate denouncing trade deals like NAFTA etc. as hurting American jobs; all the rest for years now still maintain that the cheaper goods off-set somehow the job losses, to the degree they acknowledge said job losses as being caused by the trade deals. Trump says the purpose of Trade deals/Treaties should be to help American (jobs), the ones we have now don't, agree. He thinks the purpose of treaties/alliances like NATO is first and foremost benefit America (America first) also agree. I am increasingly a skeptic about global warming; (think we are in for some global cooling instead, entering a no Sun spot era which last preceded the "little ice age") Trump agrees. Wouldn't call global warming a "hoax" thought up by the Chinese like Trump said but like his skepticism. Trump is denounced as "racist" for wanting to build a wall and deport illegal aliens; like you are racist for wanting to enforce American laws legally passed; the same people who say that also turn a blind eye to H-1B visas and sanctuary cities. "Sanctuary Cities", places where they openly and enthusiastically Flout Federal law about illegals; and think anyone who objects is of course "racist". He supports the idea that a Federal judges' job isn't to make law but only to determine the Constitutionality of one passed by a legislature; this contrasts with the "living document" folks; again agree. Trump believes in the 2nd Amendment protecting an individual right to own/use firearms agree. Since Hillary disagrees on almost all of these positions I would find it difficult to justify to myself voting for her; even ignoring her corrupt history, which I don't. So far then it is looking like Trump (don't care how big his ego is) or maybe another protest vote for Gary Johnson.
Last edited by williatw on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

williatw

Post by williatw »

williatw wrote:so far then it is looking like Trump (don't care how big his ego is) or maybe another protest vote for Gary Johnson.
It is not just the UK…
Brexit is not the end of the fun amongst the fed up electorates of the Anglosphere, it is only the prelude. The Libertarian Party in the USA will be a serious cat amongst dumb flocking birds this year. Gary Johnson is still rising in the polls. He has been at levels we have never seen before almost from the day he was nominated and has gone up from 10% to 11% and now 12%. Should he reach 15% by the end of the summer, he will be invited to the Presidential Debates. No matter what else happens, that would be enough to warm the cockles o’ me Libertarian Laissez-Faire heart.
But wait! There is more! If Gary makes it into the debates, he will almost certainly garner a substantial popular vote in the election. The American electorate, by and large, loath both Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee this year.

Now if I were smoking something really good right now, something which Gary has sworn to see legalized, I might even say that a tight three way race could make 34% the plurality in the popular (not Electoral) vote. That level for a Libertarian candidate in the USA is about as imaginable as, well… the UK voting to leave the EU. Inconceivable.

This year is going to be a lot of fun. We are turning the world upside down… and we are enjoying every second of it everywhere in the Anglosphere.
http://www.samizdata.net/2016/07/it-is-not-just-the-uk/

williatw

Post by williatw »

Michael Moore: "TRUMP IS GOING TO WIN" Real Time With Bill Maher 7/20/16 (HBO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxzQWIvD0ek
'I think Trump is going to win. I'm sorry': Liberal filmmaker Michael Moore reveals fears The Donald will become president
Michael Moore warned people that it was time to step out their 'bubble'
'I'm sorry to be the buzzkill... but I think Trump is gonna win,' he said
Filmmaker was speaking during discussion about Trump and his fellow Republican's attacks on Democrat rival Hillary Clinton
Moore said they sounded 'crazy to us' it played to millions of Americans

'One of the things that's concerned me this week. We've been sitting in out bubble having a good laugh at this total s**tshow, but the truth is that this plays to a lot people that he has to win to become the next president.
'Mitt Romney lost by 64 electoral votes. The total votes of those four states is 64,' Moore told Maher. 'All he has to do is win those four states.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... y-win.html

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I keep hoping the two main candidates' heads will explode in a shower of gore and ant parts. Alas, that only seems to happen to people who resist the ants, not to those who embrace them.

I think it will come down to how many people have ants in their brains. Will they buy the dystopian sermon Trump gave as an acceptance speech, or will they look elsewhere to someone who sees promise in the future? Which group will constitute the majority?

This is the aspect of Trump that reminds people of Hitler. Create a litany of imaginary foes, and then claim they've forced the Volk to resort to extreme measures in self-defense. And insist you're the ONLY one who can do it.

I smiled when I saw a poll (some doubt the methodology is all that rigorous but we'll see how it pans out), showing Gary Johnson leading Trump among members of the active duty military. Maybe they're resistant to the ants.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

What I really find amazing is the number of people that don't know that the third-party candidate is out there and running. As he put it if everybody that said they didn't want to vote for Hillary or Trump voted for me I would win in a landslide
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Unfortunately the Libertine party candidate is in some ways almost as dangerous as the Hildabeast.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

williatw

Post by williatw »

Tom Ligon wrote: Create a litany of imaginary foes, and then claim they've forced the Volk to resort to extreme measures in self-defense. And insist you're the ONLY one who can do it.
Which imaginary foes are you referring to Tom? Terrorism (ISIS); attacking people in France, likely Munich (maybe), itching to hit us here at home? Helped along by a prez who even in the aftermath of the Tampa massacre by a radicalized Islamist who shouted Islamic slogans refused to called it an act of radical Islamic terror; even after ISIS openly congratulated him for it?

Or by SEC of state Kerry saying:

Secretary of State John Kerry said in Vienna on Friday that air conditioners and refrigerators are as big of a threat to life as the threat of terrorism posed by groups like the Islamic State.

http://freebeacon.com/national-security ... orse-isis/

Since our leadership chooses to be dismissive about the seriousness of the threat which justifiably alarms the American people who can blame Trump for "trumping" on the issue? He would be a fool not too.

Tom Ligon wrote:I smiled when I saw a poll (some doubt the methodology is all that rigorous but we'll see how it pans out), showing Gary Johnson leading Trump among members of the active duty military. Maybe they're resistant to the ants.
Reminds me a bit about Robert Heinlein's future society in Starship Troopers where only military veterans were allowed to vote/hold elected office; and Heinlein was a staunch libertarian who maybe would have liked Gary Johnson allot.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

williatw wrote: Reminds me a bit about Robert Heinlein's future society in Starship Troopers where only military veterans were allowed to vote/hold elected office; and Heinlein was a staunch libertarian who maybe would have liked Gary Johnson allot.
I never met Heinlein. but I consider Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell as friends ... we're in the same think tank.

http://www.sigmaforum.org/?page_id=107

The membership covers the political spectrum, but underneath it all, I believe there's a strong sense of libertarianism. Science fiction invented Big Brother as a warning to the world. For some years, its been heavily into Cyberpunk (the lone individual fighting against an authoritarian establishment).

williatw

Post by williatw »

Tom Ligon wrote:I consider Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell as friends ... we're in the same think tank.
Well since you mentioned Jerry Pournelle (I have posted from his site here a number of times) don't know him personally but have been a follower of his ideas for years. Read his "A Step Farther Out" decades ago. He said then (middle late '70's ) that we had about a 100 years to get space industries going before the opportunity to do so was gone indefinitely; maybe he is less pessimistic now. You must know he is also a Trump booster; he recently stated:
On Free Trade

One reason Conservatives are advised by Conservative leaders to disagree with Trump is his position on Free Trade. The problem for me is that I do not see Free Trade, particularly laissez faire Free Trade, as necessarily Conservative at all,

The advantages of Free Trade are lower prices for stuff. That means they are more cheaply produced. As the economist David Ricardo wrote, there is a principle of comparative advantage that coupled with free trade guarantees maximum profits for when there are no trade restrictions, and impediments to free trade are supposed to be mutually disadvantageous.

But do understand, what is conserved is lower prices. Nor social stability. Not communities. Not family life. Indeed those are often disrupted; it’s part of the economic model. Under free trade theory, it’s better to have free trade than community preservation, better to have ghost towns of people displaced because their jobs have been shipped overseas; better to have Detroit as a wasteland than a thriving dynamic industrial society turning out tail finned Cadillacs and insolent chariots and supporting workers represented by rapacious unions in conflict with pitiless corporate executives.

The theory of free trade includes liquidity: liquidity in capital flow, and liquidity in labor relocation.

What was conserved by turning Detroit into a wasteland? How was that conservative? Wouldn’t it be more conservative to argue that if everyone pays a little more for stuff made here, by people who work here, we are better off than having it made south of the border and inviting our people to go work there at their prevailing wages?

Go further. You don’t have to move. We’ll pay you for not working and you don’t have to move. Of course we’ll have to raise taxes on those who do work to pay those people no longer working, but that’s life. But after unemployment benefits work out – in my days the government would pay you $26 a week for 26 weeks – you’re in trouble. So much so that welfare benefits kept being raised. Food stamps, which became larger and bought more items. Negative income tax. And if you dropped out of the labor force – no longer looking for a job – you are no longer unemployed. The unemployment rate just went down. You stopped looking for a job. Of course you don’t have a job – you are certainly not employed – but you aren’t unemployed and don’t count toward the unemployment rate. I wouldn’t have thought that sort of lying to the people by government officials was a very Conservative thing to do at all.

Would a 15% tariff on cars have saved Detroit? It would mean that I would have had to pay about $5000 more for my 1988 Ford Eddie Bauer V8 Explorer I bought in 1999. I could have afforded that. And I suspect that I’ve paid more in income taxes sent to welfare recipients in Detroit than that. Is paying people not to work more Conservative than trying to keep their jobs – and manufacturing capabilities and potential here, bot dismantling it and leaving its former site to rust away – Conservative?

And is encouraging people not to work – at least making it easier and more possible – building a Conservative nation?

What, precisely, is being conserved here?
https://www.jerrypournelle.com/chaosman ... ree-trade/

Would have to say I agree with just about all of this.
Last edited by williatw on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Durn, Jerry's memory is twanged. Actually, its surprising he's alive at all considering the brain cancer he had a few years back.

Which excuses the fact that he has a 1988 Explorer. The model was introduced in 1991 (we had one of those for a while ... traded up to the 1996 we still have). So, do I get conservative points for driving a 1993 Dodge Dakota, with a 5-speed stick?

Pournelle has always tended to write military stuff, often set in worlds with medieval or totalitarian governments (the Janissaries series, for example). He's done a lot of background work on the Janissaries and Mamlukes. In fact, he can read and predict Egyptian politics better than anyone I know, using this simple rule: "The guys just elected will maintain power as long as the Army wants them to." Jerry knows that the Mamlukes pretty much still run the country, whatever they're called today. So maybe he's not the best example.

Interestingly, his comments on Detroit sound suspiciously progressive.

But generally, the branch of SF some people call Space Opera, particularly stories of colonies and exploration, require characters who are made of the same sturdy and independent stuff as our pioneering forefathers, and foremothers. Hence, the libertarian streak.

And as a rule, Star Trek excepted, we tend to fear Big Government.

choff

Post by choff »

Obama says he's voting for Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ISnVhjyKkk
CHoff

williatw

Post by williatw »

williatw wrote:Michael Moore: "TRUMP IS GOING TO WIN" Real Time With Bill Maher 7/20/16 (HBO)

Donald Trump bounces into the lead

The bounce is back.

Donald Trump comes out of his convention ahead of Hillary Clinton in the race for the White House, topping her 44% to 39% in a four-way matchup including Gary Johnson (9%) and Jill Stein (3%) and by three points in a two-way head-to-head, 48% to 45%. That latter finding represents a 6-point convention bounce for Trump, which are traditionally measured in two-way matchups.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/25/politics/ ... nton-poll/

And:

Bernie Sanders supporters chant 'Lock her up! Lock her up!' about Hillary Clinton
Meanwhile, Donald Trump's post convention bounce puts him ahead of Clinton

Lock Her Up' Chants Made Clinton Feel Sad - Washington Wire - WSJ - wsj.com

The 2016 Democratic National Convention has already become historic in one aspect. It is the first such affair in which attendees expressed the idea that the party’s nominee should be thrown in jail. Indeed, Bernie Sanders supporters have already taken up the chant, “Lock her up! Lock her up!” first heard at the Republican convention. Not even Bernie Sanders could calm his supporters. When he addressed a rally and expressed the wish that Hillary Clinton should be elected, he was greeted by loud, enthusiastic boos.
http://us.blastingnews.com/news/2016/07 ... 34059.html

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

Observation: While the boos (from a small portion of the Bernie supporters) were real they were deliberately exaggerated by mic placement.

MSNBC appears to have been the worst offender in this regard. And a lot of media went with their version.

The CNN feed carried a very different audio impression. The hecklers were present, but dwarfed by the rest of the crowd.