Skynet is coming.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

paperburn1

Re: Skynet is coming.

Post by paperburn1 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU
Humans Need Not Apply is a 2014 short internet documentary film, directed, produced, written, and edited by C.G.P. Grey. The film focuses on the future of the integration of automation into economics, as well as the worldwide workforce. Early on, Grey makes an analogy describing how humans once ousted horses out of their jobs, by creating mechanical muscles, such as automobiles. Grey finishes the analogy by connecting the creation of mechanical minds, or "brain labor," will lead to robots ousting humans out of their occupations. Grey also discusses the role of how economics is the force behind a future based upon automation. Grey concludes by stating that 45% of the workforce could be replaced by bots, a number which is both inclusive of professional, white-collar, and low-skill occupations, and higher than the 25% unemployment figure of the Great Depression. Grey mentions that even creative occupations are not secure, as he mentions the included bot-composed music in the background of his video.

Additionally, Grey reminds the viewer that he is not discussing or portraying a future based upon science fiction, as he uses examples such as Baxter, self-driving cars (referred to as autos in the film), as well as IBM's Watson, to deliver its subject
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Rise of the machines! Musk warns of 'su ... AI: Report
Only a fool would put an unvalidated AI in a position they wouldn't put an unvalidated human, or any AI in a position of authority they'd never trust to a human.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Thank goodness there are no fools about in a position of authority

choff

Post by choff »

There was talk in the 1970's of a future retirement at age 55 or even as low as 45, with people starting careers later and only working 3 and 4 day weeks. That would have kept unemployment from becoming too much of a problem, unfortunately we have maniacs in charge of the financial industry who completely screwed up the pension systems. Regardless, we will face a future where human labor is increasingly obsolete, and if the government doesn't provide consumers with funds there will be economic collapse. Society will require a major rethink about the work ethic and the value of labor, world not ready.
CHoff

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

A man's labor will always be worth what he can produce. The current economic depression is not from machines (or anything else) displacing workers, but from government interference adding to the cost of labor.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

http://gizmodo.com/darpa-funded-researc ... 1654444124
DARPA-Funded Researchers Have Tested a Drone That Can Learn

Almost seven years ago, we learned that DARPA was investing millions of dollars in neuromorphic chips. That's a fancy term for a computer chip that mimics a biological cortex—a brain chip. Today, researchers are getting closer. And of course, they're putting those brain chips in drones.

Isn't that the technology that drives skynet in the movies?

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Has that hypothetical quantum substrate of biological intelligence, in neurons' microtubules, been ruled out or further evidenced? It would be interesting to see quasi-intelligent machines that competed and/or outmatched biological intelligence because of that fundamental difference.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

choff

Post by choff »

CHoff

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

I was going to do that, but I see you beat me to it. Ah, what the H3ll!

The robo karate kid! Terrifying two legged giant robot being developed by Google learns to stand on one leg - and recreates scene from cult film

The Atlas robot created by Google-owned firm Boston Dynamics is a formidable figure at 6ft 2in tall and weighing in at 330lb.

The robot boasts 28 hydraulically actuated joints and stereo vision, and is one of the most advanced robots ever created.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -film.html

I can't wait to see what the new Robo-Stasi (Powered by Google!) looks like!

Just slap a few swastikas on that thing and we'll be good to go.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Google Maps Has Been Tracking Your Every Move, And There’s A Website To Prove It

Remember that scene in Minority Report, where Tom Cruise is on the run from the law, but is unable to avoid detection because everywhere he goes there are constant retina scans feeding his location back to a central database? That’s tomorrow. Today, Google is tracking wherever your smartphone goes, and putting a neat red dot on a map to mark the occasion.

http://www.realfarmacy.com/google-maps- ... z3DPdezJ7C
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Not my smartphone, I don't have one and plan to stay with wired (shielded) devices. Still, I am sure someone is tracking every keystroke and internet website I visit. Why worry about Skynet when we have Big Brother?
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

In used the site to track my number and it showed a location 10 miles away. Guess I'm safe for now.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

With GPS turned off (the usual case) I generally get a position for "here" that I presume is the strongest cell tower my phone can reach.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

You have no location history for November 3, 2014
Hmmm I wonder how that happened :D Did I do that? :lol:
so Big bro has lost me all the way back to the third

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Amazon Deploys Robot Army to Conquer Cyberspace

Amazon.com is following a military model to conquer cyber-space this holiday shopping season. The company has hired 80,000 seasonal workers and deployed 1,500 Kiva logistic robots for each of its 10 warehouses across the United States. The military math per warehouse works out to 2 brigades of workers being supported by 2 battalions of robots. Across the entire company, the 80,000 seasonal workers and 15,000 robots equal a Field Army of soldiers supported by a mechanized Division.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Cali ... Cyberspace
— Lord Melbourne —