Teen Use Down In Colorado

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Teen Use Down In Colorado

Post by MSimon »

http://news.yahoo.com/fewer-colorado-te ... 17824.html

As I predicted. So far the decline is small. We shall see how it goes for the full year.

My contention is that Prohibition is not a deterrent to use but a vector for its spread.

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

tomclarke

Re: Teen Use Down In Colorado

Post by tomclarke »

MSimon wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/fewer-colorado-te ... 17824.html

As I predicted. So far the decline is small. We shall see how it goes for the full year.

My contention is that Prohibition is not a deterrent to use but a vector for its spread.

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —
Maybe it is both.

Cannabis is an easy one. Less harmful to society than alcohol. Harm to individual is unclear, but arguably less than alcohol, if stripped of criminality.

Harder drugs? Chemical addiction is not easy to break, and with heroin it is easy to establish. All we can really say, with all drugs legalised, is that things would be different. Better some ways, worse others. For out children, along with "don't have unprotected sex" there would be "remember heroin, like nicotine, is very highly addictive".

Personally I don't like stuff that interferes with my mind. I've got used to alcohol, socially, but mostly from choice now don't drink. Cannabis frightened me when I was young: destroying my ability to hold together a single line of thought. Never taken it since that time.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

tomclarke wrote:
MSimon wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/fewer-colorado-te ... 17824.html

— Lord Melbourne —
Maybe it is both.

Cannabis is an easy one. Less harmful to society than alcohol. Harm to individual is unclear, but arguably less than alcohol, if stripped of criminality.

Harder drugs? Chemical addiction is not easy to break, and with heroin it is easy to establish. All we can really say, with all drugs legalised, is that things would be different. Better some ways, worse others. For out children, along with "don't have unprotected sex" there would be "remember heroin, like nicotine, is very highly addictive".

Personally I don't like stuff that interferes with my mind. I've got used to alcohol, socially, but mostly from choice now don't drink. Cannabis frightened me when I was young: destroying my ability to hold together a single line of thought. Never taken it since that time.
Tom,

Thank you. But I'd like to make a point. You know less about heroin than you think you do. It is less addictive than tobacco by about a factor of 5 and about 5% of users spontaneously quit every year. What does that tell you? It tells you that it is not the drug. Current thinking is that heroin users are victims of severe trauma and are genetically per-disposed to PTSD.

Dr. Lonny Shavelson found that 70% of female heroin users and 50% of males were sexually abused in childhood.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Who has been using teens in Colorado?

Has this abuse of the young been reported to LE Agencies? Have proper investigations begun? :twisted:
Vae Victis

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Tom,
Your comments mirror my view and experience, with the exception that cannabis didn't frighten me, I just learned that it was not for me as, like you, it obstructed my ability to think. I value being able to think at the same level as living itself as what is life without a working mind? The problem I have had in a dorm setting is that unlike alcohol the use of cannabis doesn't just affect the user, and complaining results in social problems (payback, covert intimidation, etc).

There are significant down sides to legalization, but such is the case with all aspects of freedom, responsibility. I worry about child abuse from second hand drug spillover, but the same is true with guns, etc. Life of a progressive human farm animal is not real living, being a free range human is the only real life despite its issues.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

choff

Post by choff »

I've heard that apart from tourists, use is very low all drugs in the Netherlands.
CHoff