Navy Funds Dr. B

Discuss funding sources for polywell research, including the non-profit EMC2 Fusion Development Corporation, as well as any other relevant research efforts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

TallDave... Seems like EMC2 got the funding they need to complete the WB7/8. As long as they got their funds for this, then there is no more need for publicity. There be PLENTY of that after the "panel reviewed" results are made public. In fact I think the media will be all over Dr. Bussard like they are with Jessica Simpson, but with one slight difference. Mr. Bussard is not a media whore.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

TallDave wrote:Simon, it sounded like you heard there was going to be an announcement at some point. Is that still true as far as you know? Or does the contract perhaps mandate otherwise?

Given that Ligon has confirmed the contract and we have an email purportedly from Bussard, I'm assuming this isn't some elaborate hoax. But an official announcement would go a long way toward getting Polywell a lot more attention from major players like Slashdot and Instapundit, who are probably a bit skeptical given the 2 earlier false starts.
I hear rumors from various unconnected sources.

Nothing definite.

I have the appropriate Google Alerts up and check them out several times a day.

All we can do is watch and wait and trade rumors.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

zbarlici wrote:TallDave... Seems like EMC2 got the funding they need to complete the WB7/8. As long as they got their funds for this, then there is no more need for publicity. There be PLENTY of that after the "panel reviewed" results are made public. In fact I think the media will be all over Dr. Bussard like they are with Jessica Simpson, but with one slight difference. Mr. Bussard is not a media whore.
Actually I have been doing quite a bit of whoring.

Now is no time to let up. We have barely made a dent. We must prepare the ground for the Drs. announcement when it comes.

Log on to forums. Discuss with participants. Leave notes.

BTW a good idea is to leave at least one url plus a search string. More if possible.

We need to crank up demand so that the crackpots and NIMBYS can't derail this.

If we push now we might start getting articles on this in 3 to 6 months.

It would be good to have this at least red hot and maybe white hot by the time the Dr. announces his results. If they are negative we will be fools. If they are positive we might get demand up enough so the Navy with Congressional backing goes all out. Manhattan style.

I'd like the Dr.s 5 year program cut in half and possibly the construction of The Great Convincer and other test setups along the way.

By the time the US Navy started in on ship reactors at least five and possibly 10 test reactors had been built.

We should be thinking along those lines if we can get the funding.

Now is no time to go silent.

In the words of Gen Patton (modified):
"I don't want to get any messages saying, "I am holding my position." We are not holding a Goddamned thing. Let the ITER people do that. We are advancing constantly and we are not interested in holding onto anything, except the enemy's balls. We are going to twist his balls and kick the living shit out of him all of the time. Our basic plan of operation is to advance and to keep on advancing regardless of whether we have to go over, under, or through the enemy. We are going to go through him like crap through a goose; like shit through a tin horn!"
A little crude for a PR campaign. But you get the idea.

Any one else want to do some whoring?

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

It's true funding is the main concern, and I agree the most important thing is that Bussard and company are going forward with the project.

That said, Bussard's next machine is supposed to be produce repeatable tests that will be vetted by experts, and the more publicity generated for that event the better.

It took the minor publicity we've been generating to get Polywell rolling to the tune of a few million again. It may require orders of magnitude greater exposure to fund the $200M+ net power reactor phase, and sustain funding during 5-10 years of trial and error, with the inevitable failures and setbacks. The sooner and more excitement we can get building, the better.

jlumartinez

Post by jlumartinez »

We should be patient . We are expecting good results in just a few months. And experimentation doesn´t work that way. The time is not 100% effective: you can not plan your time because always there are setbacks, problems with the equipment, sensor miscalibrated ...etc...

In Dr. Bussard´s website he settles "R&D Phase 1" for 1-2 years. I think we should give them time enough to work fine. I am afraid that the first results will take a time about a year.

I don´t mind the speed , what really matter is that the research is in progress, no matter if the results are 6 or 12 months ahead. There is a proverb: " Without hurry but without pause"

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

Hello Simon,
Yes, mate, I am all for a little PR whoring too. I don't like the secrecy thing with the Navy, all right they are Defence but ... I'd like the good Dr. to be able to get an exemption from the secrecy requirement so he can apply for additional funding and keep the volunteers in the loop.
Regards,
Tony Barry

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

jlumartinez wrote:We should be patient . We are expecting good results in just a few months. And experimentation doesn´t work that way. The time is not 100% effective: you can not plan your time because always there are setbacks, problems with the equipment, sensor miscalibrated ...etc...
Yes. Quite so.

However, repeating an experiment (while fixing obvious deficiencies) is not as prone to error or miscalculation.

So I'm reasonably optimistic that we will see results in 6 - 7 months and a go-ahead/cancel decision will be made within a year.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

jlumartinez wrote:We should be patient .
Bah. There'll be plenty of time to be patient when I'm dead.

jlumartinez

Post by jlumartinez »

The universe haven´t had a Polywell during millions of years. We don´t need now to be in a hurry to get a 4 months shorter developing schedule. Let EMC2 to work quietly. Step by step .

xevioso

well

Post by xevioso »

Hopefully the site I built will be of some usage in the months ahead. I will have some time to work on it here shortly, but the whole idea was that even if Dr. Bussard did not need the site for fundraising (which he obviously and happily did not) we can still use it for media and publicity.

I'll be making a lot of suggested changes to the site here very soon; if you haven't seen it it's here:
http://www.xevioso.com/projects/polywell/

Comments are appriceated

MSimon

Re: well

Post by MSimon »

xevioso wrote:Hopefully the site I built will be of some usage in the months ahead. I will have some time to work on it here shortly, but the whole idea was that even if Dr. Bussard did not need the site for fundraising (which he obviously and happily did not) we can still use it for media and publicity.

I'll be making a lot of suggested changes to the site here very soon; if you haven't seen it it's here:
http://www.xevioso.com/projects/polywell/

Comments are appriceated
Very nice. Good explanation.

Check the Valencia paper for the reasoning behind the scaling laws.

And thanks for the links!

gblaze42

excellent news!

Post by gblaze42 »

I'm glad to see that Dr. Bussard has received funding!

Here's to believing that the WB-7 and WB-8 will show us to true Fusion power!

JD

Post by JD »

MSimon

I'm encouraged that despite the recent tragedy there is a program in place at least. Do you have any feel for what level of information release will be allowed as far as progress? I was hoping that since there's a potential political interest that progress reports might be accessible by the public.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

JD,

I have nothing definite. All I can say is be patient.

From what I can tell there is a lot of scrutiny going on.

Think of us here as being inside a well lighted room with one way mirrored walls. Effectively everything we do here is being done in public although we can't tell who, if, or how many are watching.

I get hints.

There are some very heavy hitters who want to see this go. Badly. We are now at the mercy of time and space. Until WB-7 gets built and tested all we can do is watch, wait, and educate ourselves.

It is the least we can do to honor the memory of Dr. B.

Wish I had more.

May the Force be with us,

Simon

JD

Post by JD »

It's to be hoped. Apparently, during the 90's, several bright individuals starting seriously researching alternative methods of fusion in variance with the proposed Thing In France. I'm encouraged by this and hopeful at least one method will pan out.

We could survive and even prosper on a proper fission program. The advantages though if a compact method of anuetronic fusion is produced will make the difference between a good and a great potential for humanity.