Navy Funds Dr. B

Discuss funding sources for polywell research, including the non-profit EMC2 Fusion Development Corporation, as well as any other relevant research efforts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

JoeStrout wrote:
MSimon wrote:My understanding is that the Dr. has already got his office/work space. No info on where.
I've been told that the new work will be done in New Mexico. But that was, let's see, third-hand or so... hopefully somebody will issue an official press release (or at least a more detailed note) soon.
Yeah, if we could get an EMC2 press release that would be great, an official confirmation.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

TallDave wrote:
JoeStrout wrote:
MSimon wrote:My understanding is that the Dr. has already got his office/work space. No info on where.
I've been told that the new work will be done in New Mexico. But that was, let's see, third-hand or so... hopefully somebody will issue an official press release (or at least a more detailed note) soon.
Yeah, if we could get an EMC2 press release that would be great, an official confirmation.
My sources tell me that one will be forthcoming soon.

When is soon? Soon.

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

I'm curious as to what prompted the Navy to take another look at Polywell.
Since they had the money, were they going to reopen the project anyway, and just had to wait till they had a form signed?
Was it a phone call from a Senator/Rep?
Did Dr Bussard's comments about selling the tech to a foreign power strike a nerve somewhere?

Thoth

Post by Thoth »

@JohnP

The Navy didn't necessarily 'have' the money. Since the line item which contained EMC2's project, among others, had been zeroed out there *was* no money. Those who zeroed the advanced energy research line item likely were trying to find money anywhere they could for some shorter-term needs. Even still, whatever money was gained probably had to be 'reprogrammed', that is turned into a different 'color' of money for its new purpose, which in itself was laborious in a bureaucratic sense.

The Navy (or USAF, USA, etc.) doesn't have a great deal of discretion on how it spends money. Most funds are pre-assigned for different purposes by Congress before they ever get to the services. Re-programming when it can't be avoided is usually a long, painful and political process--political in the sense of required Congressional permission as well as intra-Navy competing requirements. You can think of it as moving money between different accounts except that it is very, very far from being that simple in the Federal Gov't. There is little flexibility by law.

By extending the contract, the Navy program office managing the EMC2 contract was able to keep the vehicle alive so that if and when money did become available they'd be able to fund it. This is the surest sign that Bussard had champions in the Navy for this project. If they had simply let the contract expire, the long process for a new contract would have made funding anytime soon, if ever, unlikely.

So, is it possible that some congressman/aide made some inquiries that loosened up some funds because of the publicity? Maybe. But what's clear is that the Navy was already taking it seriously enough to try to keep it alive.

Unfortunately, worthy research projects of this type with small political constituencies (i.e. no big campaign donors bribing some congressmen to champion them in order to feed at the trough of gov't largesse) are killed all the time. Paradoxically, the fact that the amount of money is peanuts makes it more vulnerable, not less. Sounds cynical but it is unfortunately true.

We are not out of the woods by any means. Creating a serious and vociferous constituency will help. Better yet, create a PAC with congressional bribe money.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The money could have come from the Swampworks:

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... works.html

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Fusion is a Navy wet dream.

They could put these on FFs - which are logistically constrained due to fuel rqmts.

The fact that the Navy will have $200 mn if WB-7 works out is a sign of how serious they are. In addition battle damage to engineering spaces will be less severe with fusion. Much less radiation to deal with.

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

Hello MSimon,
Sorry but I didn't understand your last post. What is an "FFs"? And what is "battle damage to engineering spaces"?
Regards,
Tony Barry (who spent just two years in the Army cadets about thirty five years ago and doesn't remember much ...)
[edited grammar]

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

tonybarry wrote:Hello MSimon,
Sorry but I didn't understand your last post. What is an "FFs"? And what is "battle damage to engineering spaces"?
Regards,
Tony Barry (who spent just two years in the Army cadets about thirty five years ago and doesn't remember much ...)
[edited grammar]
An FF is a frigate. Larger than a destroyer (not a lot) and smaller than a cruiser.

Battle damage to engineering spaces = hit the reactor.

rexxam62

Post by rexxam62 »

I believe it when i see it.

I believe it is funded when Dr Bussard himself makes it official. I think I will go and pray to the fusion gods that it is!! :P

elkaim

The Great Convincer

Post by elkaim »

So, given that *hopefully* Dr. Bussard has gotten his funding, is there anything to be gained from the design of the great convincer? I know MSimon has put in quite a bit of effort into the preliminary design, and I don't know if any of that will translate into something usable.

Just curious.

--G

MSimon

Re: The Great Convincer

Post by MSimon »

elkaim wrote:So, given that *hopefully* Dr. Bussard has gotten his funding, is there anything to be gained from the design of the great convincer? I know MSimon has put in quite a bit of effort into the preliminary design, and I don't know if any of that will translate into something usable.

Just curious.

--G
If the Navy is satisfied with Dr. B's plan I am too.

I think making a continuous operation test reactor would have its uses. However, the Navy is pretty good at estimating and allowing for technical risk.

The Great Convincer was based on the need to raise non-government funds.

It is good to have it out there. I enjoyed doing it because it educated me. It also serves to help novices get up to speed. So not a waste as far as I'm concerned.

Lots of good designs never get used for various reasons. It hurts a little. However, after 40 years as an engineer I'm used to it. Some. :-)

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Confirmation yet?

Post by JoeStrout »

Any idea when are we going to hear some official confirmation about this renewed Navy funding? From the original leak it sounded like an official announcement was imminent... but here it is weeks later, and nothing.
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

rexxam62

Re: Confirmation yet?

Post by rexxam62 »

JoeStrout wrote:Any idea when are we going to hear some official confirmation about this renewed Navy funding? From the original leak it sounded like an official announcement was imminent... but here it is weeks later, and nothing.
As I said I believe it when I see it. And I aint seen it yet.

jlumartinez

Post by jlumartinez »

You are free to believe it or not. I assure you that a new contract with the US Navy is already working. But the import thing is that the research will go on not matter what you think. Although it would be great if you trust us.

Look at other side: there has not been any communication telling this is a lie as happend with California´s state funds that in 2 days there was a report saying it was not true. Now it is true

Joe, stop expecting any official announcement . They are working for the Navy, they don´t need it. It is suppose that is a research for the DoD, and many of them are even secret

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Simon, it sounded like you heard there was going to be an announcement at some point. Is that still true as far as you know? Or does the contract perhaps mandate otherwise?

Given that Ligon has confirmed the contract and we have an email purportedly from Bussard, I'm assuming this isn't some elaborate hoax. But an official announcement would go a long way toward getting Polywell a lot more attention from major players like Slashdot and Instapundit, who are probably a bit skeptical given the 2 earlier false starts.