Norman Rostaker?

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

kurt9

Norman Rostaker?

Post by kurt9 »

Does anyone know anything about Norman Rostaker's group? I believe this is called Tri-Alpha and that they are set-up in the Foothills area of SoCal. Any new info about them?

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I know they're funded by Paul Allen. If I recall correctly, Rostaker has gone head to head with the p-B11 nay-sayers, and has cited Dr. Bussard's mathematical approach. Evidently they're on the same page as EMC2 in at least certain respects.

Tri-Alpha was more willing to argue that aspect of the theory, but so far I have not heard much about their actual approach. I know it is a legacy of the old Maglich Migma, but that does not necessarily mean it has much in common with that approach.

Dr. Bussard gave a lot of details on the physical hardware, but was sketchy on the math and avoided direct rebuttal to Drs. Rider and Nevins. However, both Bussard and Rostaker apparently use the bounce-averaged Fokker–Planck model, and have a comparable understanding of ways to avoid bremsstrahlung.

rnebel

Post by rnebel »

Rostaker's work is a follow-on to the electron/ion ring work that was started at Cornell. It dates back at least to the early 70s and probably the 60s. It falls in the field-reversed configuration (FRC) category.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

I believe MSimon has said elsewhere that they're not anywhere close to having hardware prototypes built. Supposedly they're working on numerical modeling at this point.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

scareduck wrote:I believe MSimon has said elsewhere that they're not anywhere close to having hardware prototypes built. Supposedly they're working on numerical modeling at this point.
That is correct. Their approach is to do numerical modeling followed by experiments.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

kurt9

Numerical modeling...

Post by kurt9 »

I read recently that Tri-Alpha was recently financed to the tune of $40 million. This suggests that they will be doing some hardware experimentation in the near future. My understanding is that the financiers are not just Paul Allen, but include Venrock Associates (they funded Apple in the late 70's) and Goldman Sachs, among others.