i'm trying to build a dodecahedron polywell reactor

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

No, the page lists the treatment after production because machining often leaves contaminated surfaces. The 99.90% purity figure is the bulk material purity.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

Roger

Post by Roger »

ladajo wrote:Electric Motor Rewinding and Repair shop.
They used to be fairly common, back in the day I always had a automotive starter or alternator fixed/rebuilt at shops like these.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

vnbt4

Post by vnbt4 »

so so far I'm still looking for a Electric Motor Rewinding and Repair shop but i was wondering if the was a substitute for copper maybe with a lower resistance?

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Lower resistance than copper starts getting into serious money.

Copper refrigerated with liquid nitrogen is a big improvement.

Silver is a bit more conductive than copper. It's reported that the Manhattan Project borrowed silver from the treasury to build electromagnets during WW2 when there was a copper shortage.

Superconductors are obvious, but use exotic and hard to form ceramic wires or exotic refrigeration.

Some kinds of buckytubes I've heard do very well with ballistic conduction of electrons down the interior. But that's an exotic material. I'm wondering if microscopic passages through other materials might produce the same effect.

vnbt4

Post by vnbt4 »

well that's a problem, but thanks that should help

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I don't personally think this can be built for anything close to $15k. In any event, it is probably not a good trade to cool copper with liquid helium. If you intend to use cryogenics at all, use nitrogen. The systems associated with it very low temps will by far outweigh the costs difference between copper and 2G HTS coils:

http://www.superpower-inc.com/content/products-services

and if you wheel and deal, you might negotiate free coils from Superpower in order to get their brand out there. This stuff already has commercial applications, and if you incorporate and get several of the guys here to sign on, you might under those conditions get some free coils.

Liquid helium temps require all sorts of special materials that don't fracture under stress at those temperatures. Just sounds like a nightmare of troubles that could cost years of work and tens of thousands in cash.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis